WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter Stove for Two

I've used my friendly search tool and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure it's on this site somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

I've used pepsi can alky, cannister, and an MSR Whisperlite stoves, all have been great. I've typically used them for specific cases:

Alcohol - week long summer trips - we only cook one meal per day so stove weight is great and we don't use much fuel.

Cannister - cooler trips where we cook 2 meals per day, it's super-easy to use and light enough.

Whisperlite white gas - long winter trips - it easily lights and cooks, and since we cook a lot (2 people too) on these trips the reduced gas consumption means a lot less gas for a long trip than alcohol, so average weight isn't *that* bad.

I recall reading a web page where someone compared the different fuel types in terms of average weight (stove weight plus average fuel weight) for various length trips. So for a 7 day trip boiling X cups per day of water you could see how much weight in alcohol vs. white gas, etc. you'd carry.

I'm wondering what's the difference between total stove/fuel weight for white gas vs. cannister vs. alcohol for 2 people during winter for a week's cooking of 2 meals per day.

Anyone have a reference to that site or that kind of data?

Quote Originally Posted by rjc View Post
    ~

I'm wondering what's the difference between total stove/fuel weight for white gas vs. cannister vs. alcohol for 2 people during winter for a week's cooking of 2 meals per day.

Anyone have a reference to that site or that kind of data?
    I think you're referring to Rock's site. Here's a link to his Weight over Time comparison of different stove models.
    Roland

Since the conclusions you desire are based upon your own personal use, try this calculator:

http://www.howardjohnson.name/Backpa...ove/Stoves.htm

IMO, For the winter, the jetted pepsi-style stove is not as good (ignition) as a wick stove like the starlyte.

Images

This thread might help in some manner. Maybe you could add some info to it for future reference. Thank You

Alcohol Stoves Cooking for Two????????

Thanks, you guys are awesome. It was Rock's site that I was thinking of but both sites look great.

I did see the other threads on cooking for two, wicked alcohol stoves, etc. but thanks for pointing that out!

++ New Posts ++