WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tarptent experiences??

I think that I'm going to be purchasing the Tarptent Moment...or the Contrail...
    I'm getting a little overwheled with all of my options when it comes to light weight tents. Just wondering what your expepriences have been with a tarptent if you use one? Especially- how does it hold up in snow and rain? Is there another brand you prefer that is similar in cost and weight??

Any tips would be appreciated!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Juno View Post
    I think that I'm going to be purchasing the Tarptent Moment...or the Contrail...
    I'm getting a little overwheled with all of my options when it comes to light weight tents. Just wondering what your expepriences have been with a tarptent if you use one? Especially- how does it hold up in snow and rain? Is there another brand you prefer that is similar in cost and weight??

Any tips would be appreciated!
    Go, Juno! My opinion is worth how much it costs, but my choice would be the new Stephenson tent--something C. It costs more, but it looks very good for all that you are seeking plus for big winds. I'll get either it or the Rainbow based on how many $$$ I can spend when I have to make the final decision. Again, go Girl!--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default They work fine

I have a Tarptent, and they're really just single wall tents built by somebody who is pretty clever about the weight/volume ratio thing and builds a good quality product.
    To address the only problem I ever have with mine, I carry a small kitchen sponge to dry the condensation off of the inside of the walls and the rain off the outside. The whole deal weighs about 2 lbs and packs pretty small, so I like it a lot.

Garlic
    Images

I have over 5000 trail miles on my newest Tarptent, the Contrail, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. I hope to get 5000 more out of it before I replace it, hopefully with the same model.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My TT's (Contrail and Rainshadow2) are my most prized possessions

Not made for major snow loads --- definitely not a four-season tent. But I've had snow on my Contrail with no problems. I suspect either option would be fine. If you look round here (and perhaps other) sites you'll see this same discussion repeated, just do a search ...

Images

I live in MD and often go hiking around here. I have a Double rainbow. Feel free to PM me to meet up if you want to check it out. I know its not the one you wanted though. I do alot of hiking out west. It does great in big wind but I dont know about how it does in big rain.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

TarpTent makes a great product, you can't go wrong with any of them.

IMHO, for a one person tent, splurge a few extra ounces and get the TT Rainbow. Way more usable room.

If you're MOSTLY doing cold weather camping I would suggest a double walled tent. If you want a one person bomb-proof tent, I'd suggest the Hilleberg Akto (or possibly Henry Shire's spinoff - I forget the name- with better ventilation and two small, vs. 1 large, vestibule).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I have different tarps, tarp tents and tents. They all work fine but I prefer each for specific hike conditions. I bought a hubba for my up coming AT hike. I don't fall in love with any piece of gear...it's just gear.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I have different tarps, tarp tents and tents. They all work fine but I prefer each for specific hike conditions. I bought a hubba for my up coming AT hike. I don't fall in love with any piece of gear...it's just gear.
    A wise man, indeed. I'm always tempted (and sometimes succumb to) the temptation to buy a new product (just through curiosity). Lately my gear has been carefully shopped for closeouts which are better for my use than much of the "top of the line" wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    A wise man, indeed. I'm always tempted (and sometimes succumb to) the temptation to buy a new product (just through curiosity). Lately my gear has been carefully shopped for closeouts which are better for my use than much of the "top of the line" wonders.
    I just got tha Hubba for $199.99 at EMS on a pre-inventory sale.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That's a nice tent.

The Hubba's old news. Just sayin'.
    Good snag, though.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Gotta a Moment, but haven't gotten to use it yet. Not made for snow, but I'm sure it would be fine in a light snow. Some some pics on BPL of one in a light snow, it held up fine. If it's as good as my Sublite or Double Rainbow, it will be fantastic. And you'll never talk to, or buy from a finer person than Henry Shires at Tarptent. Got questions? Unlike most of the brands mentioned, he usually answers his own phone.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I bought my tarptent single rainbow late last year so here's my two cents worth:

Love the space in the tent - actually fits me, my pack and my dog (and she's no small thing either)
    Love the fact it's so light weight and only uses one pole to put up.
    I personally have still not perfected the art of putting it up properly though to keep it taut, but I've only stuck it up a handful of times so need to keep practising, but that's me being a newbie at putting tents up.
    I seem to find the entrance flap thing (that tech lingo there people) hard to get through without knocking the whole tent which, if its raining, means I get showered with drops.
    It does get condensation inside but I just make sure I have a travel pack towel to wipe it off, also feel this might have something to do with my pitching technique too.
    Overall, I like it for what it is and would recommend it.

Had a Contrail about 2 years back. Used it a couple of times. For me, it was a bit fiddly to set-up and keep taught during the night. The condesation factor complicated things. I WANTED to make it work for me...it didn't. Sold it for a goodly amount. They are still great shelters if you are aware of the cons (many, many pros too!). Use what works for you and have a great hike!

Garlic
    Images

Franco must be out hiking. A while back he posted an innovative pitch for the Contrail for snow: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...+tarptent+snow This is probably the best idea I've seen on WB.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ...And you'll never talk to, or buy from a finer person than Henry Shires at Tarptent. Got questions? Unlike most of the brands mentioned, he usually answers his own phone.
    Amen to that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The Hubba's old news. Just sayin'.
    Good snag, though.
    OMG...old news? I'm crushed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++