WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IPOD charging

Talking IPOD charging

might sound like a silly question but i'm curioius about how people keep their ipod charged while on the trail??

Images

My girlfriend gave me a super small wall charger from apple that I just plug in wherever i may stop that has an outlet. Most people dont really mind me using their power.

Wal Mart and Target have the AC IPOd adapters for about $20.

QP
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taking a walk......

http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo

I found a super cheap solar charger on Ebay, check out those. Although they usually take about 10 hours to charge in direct sunlight.

IPODs are great players when you are at home or work. Leaving it there and getting something more suited for the trail is a good idea. There are MP3 players that get 40 to 50hrs on a single charge out there (Cowon makes some). There are also models that take removable batteries.

Though, unlike the PCT, the AT goes by town more often. If you must have your IPOD, carry a AC charger and ask at resturants to charge it while you eat or other places in town that you visit. Solar panels in a hike through a forest isn't the most efficient thing to carry.

touch it to your tongue for a few minutes
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Im still trying to decide what to do when it comes to MP3 player for my upcoming hike...the thing about those removal battery players is they hold only 1-4gb when a smaller ipod can hold 8gb, but the issue then IS the battery. I was actually thinking of taking all 3 of my small ones since they weigh almost nothing. I listen to music VERY often and not saying id listen all day on the trail, but I know Id want to hear more than the 1-4gb I have with me, so I like the idea of multiple ipods.
    But I like the idea of the removable battery ones because I often fall asleep listening to music and wont worry about draining the battery if i know i have more batteries
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    Im still trying to decide what to do when it comes to MP3 player for my upcoming hike...the thing about those removal battery players is they hold only 1-4gb when a smaller ipod can hold 8gb, but the issue then IS the battery. I was actually thinking of taking all 3 of my small ones since they weigh almost nothing. I listen to music VERY often and not saying id listen all day on the trail, but I know Id want to hear more than the 1-4gb I have with me, so I like the idea of multiple ipods.
    But I like the idea of the removable battery ones because I often fall asleep listening to music and wont worry about draining the battery if i know i have more batteries
    Sansa..best maker of AA/AAA MP3 players.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

Yea, falling asleep with the ipod on has happened to me many times, especially after a long day.

Panzer

Images

my ipod's battery lasts 35-40hrs...i carry a charger that uses 4 AAA batteries. maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

wont worry about draining the battery if i know i have more batteries
    Not exactly a disaster if you do.

Worry about running out of food, or fuel for your stove or batteries for headlight/flashlight. Running out of those is a problem. If the batteries on the mp3 runs out, you have to listen to nature 'til you get to the next town. Not exactly a life or death situation.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images
    See ya when I get there.

My iPhone, in airplane mode, will do roughly 30 hours of audio-only on a charge. I figure an iTouch is probably about the same. Even if you listened almost all the time while hiking, I would think that 30 hours of battery would last you 3 or 4 days. That's about the average time between resupply stops in most places.

On my thru last year I used a Kensington Battery Pack Charger. It would give me about 2 recharges, and it could be charged via the same little Apple charger that comes with the iTouch/iPhone. That's pretty convenient.

Solar chargers DO work, even on the AT, and even in the woods. A solar panel in the shade still generates a charge, it's just a reduced one. Generally it produces about half the wattage it does in full sun. But having said that, I've yet to see a commercially available portable charger that combines a usefully large charging capacity with light enough weight, small enough size, and trail-worthy durability. That's a lot of conflicting design criteria to balance. They're all either too small to be useful, or too heavy/clunky to carry. I'm working on a home-brew solution, combining one of these with a bigger battery and a flexible solar panel. We'll see if it amounts to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty075 View Post
    My iPhone, in airplane mode, will do roughly 30 hours of audio-only on a charge. I figure an iTouch is probably about the same. Even if you listened almost all the time while hiking, I would think that 30 hours of battery would last you 3 or 4 days. That's about the average time between resupply stops in most places.

On my thru last year I used a Kensington Battery Pack Charger. It would give me about 2 recharges, and it could be charged via the same little Apple charger that comes with the iTouch/iPhone. That's pretty convenient.

Solar chargers DO work, even on the AT, and even in the woods. A solar panel in the shade still generates a charge, it's just a reduced one. Generally it produces about half the wattage it does in full sun. But having said that, I've yet to see a commercially available portable charger that combines a usefully large charging capacity with light enough weight, small enough size, and trail-worthy durability. That's a lot of conflicting design criteria to balance. They're all either too small to be useful, or too heavy/clunky to carry. I'm working on a home-brew solution, combining one of these with a bigger battery and a flexible solar panel. We'll see if it amounts to anything.
    Yeah I got a really cheap small one ($17 ebay) with enough capacity in the lithium-ion battery in it to charge my Iphone in a couple of hours. The solar charge on it however takes forever, but I figure I can hang it off my pack and let it charge for a couple of days and then plug it in. Plus it also will take a charge on anything with a USB connection (or my little apple box usb thing that plugs into the wall).

Here's the specs:
    Solar Panel(mono or multi-crystalline): 5.5V/80mA
    PC USB charging: 5V/500mA
    Li-ion rechargeable Battery: 3.7V/800mAh
    Output voltage/current: 5.5V/500mA
    Super long standby time,current consumption: <140uA
    Chargering time: 1)Mobile Phone charging through solar charger: 1.5-2 hours
    2)Self-charging through Solar Panel: 10-12 hours (Under full sunlight conditions)
    3)Self-charging through PC USB port:3-4 hours
    Protection: Reverse current protection circuit integrated to prevent batteries from being discharged
    Constant Volts: 4.2Volts
    Folded Size: 42mm x 95mm x 10.8mm
    Weight: 52g

If you are desperate for music and can stop in a grocery store real quick, you might be interested in watching this video when it comes to charging your iPod....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPJeDssBOM

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use an mp3 (sansa) with one AAA battery. Carry one spare.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I found this the other day... I am thinking about giving it a try: http://www.novothink.com/products/nt01/

Anybody heard of this one?

I remember seeing a hand crank charger that I would enjoy refinding.
    Hope that I will be able to hike thru just as soon as I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgamewarden View Post
    I remember seeing a hand crank charger that I would enjoy refinding.
    Are you referring to the Sidewinder cell phone charger? Google it and you'll find it sold at several places.

Images

I have 4 2 mb mp3 players for music and audio books. I you use a mp3 you can download books from the libary with out having to check it out. Most libarys keep the cd in the case you just take it to a computer and load it up. If you use ipod you cant do any of this because you got to have itunes libary on the computer. You can also download music strait to your mp3. www.mp3raid.com is a good free site. Oh ya you get the lithiom batts and you can get 20 to 40 hrs of play on one aaa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++