WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont SOBO From Rutland local Knowledge

Hello, I am planning one of my sections starting April 26 till may 20th or so. I want to start in Rutland VT since this is easy access from train station, and hike to High Point NJ.

Problems:

1) Mud season, How bad is it south of Rutland at that time?
    2) I read that the GMC closes trails such as the Long Trail till after mud season. Do they shut down the AT as well ? Because they are the same trail in the southern part for around 100miles.
    3) I rather tent but I do have a hammock. Think I would be better off hanging?

Reason I picked this time is that its tough for me to be away from the house for 3 weeks during the warmer months, wife doesn't want to cut the lower 40.
    Thanks Bags

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Depending on the winter snow melt and the spring rain it could still be pretty muddy, although the LT is notorious for always being muddy. I believe the south section you are referring to is much less muddier then the northern half. As for trail closing you will just have to wait and see. I plan to E2E the LT leaving late June. Happy hikeing
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

I Hiked VT in May of 1986, it was very muddy. It poured rain on me the whole way from Sherburne Pass across the Greens. But, that is the way New England is that time of year. Some years are different.

Images

I strongly urge you NOT to hike the Long Trail/AT in Vermont during your time frame. The damage to the trail could be severe. The local maintaining club (Green Mountain Club) asks hikers to avoid using the trail until after Memorial Day. Volunteers work hard to maintain the treadway and hiking just after the winter thaw makes their job alot more difficult.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ditto what Jeff said. Starting April 26 you'll still be dealing with deep snow, particularly around Killington. Taking the train to North Adams Mass. might be a good starting point.

This early in the season, I'd think you would be a lot happier hiking north, or hike elsewhere.

2010 complete

my suggestion is to hike nobo as well.

Ditto the other hikers' opinion on the mud season. Don't hike then. Even in the summer I've been in conditions that are like walking on a greased floor (I had a heavy fall on a talc deposit north of Jay Peak - but you're not headed that way).
    Both the Chin and Forehead of Mt. Mansfield can be treacherous in even wet (never mind icy [from refreezing meltwater]) conditions.
    Start at Rte. 2 in Ma. and hike north (it will still be very muddy) or hike later or on another trail. Dress for blackflies.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++