WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coffee/Drinking mug?

Ok, so my cooking/eating system is a nice small solo cookpot, my stove, spork, alchohol bottle and windscreen fit inside of it perfectly, and the lid is usually my plate or a quick fry/simmer pan. I also have a squishy bowl that crams inside. Has worked perfect for me, but I wish for coffee on the trail.

What do you guys use for a coffee mug?

Images

My cookpot, which is a 700ml or 900ml titanium mug. I usually boil some water, pour it into a freezer bag meal to "cook", then boil more water and make tea or coffee. I made a cozy for my pot out of Reflectix, so my coffee stays nice and hot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

In winter I bring a small pot in addition to my mug.
    In summer I prefer to bring two mugs.

I have a few different mugs to choose from. Usually 500ml.
    One is 700ml, and tapered to fit up inside my Kelly Kettle.
    It is the mug that came with the Swiss Corked Flask thingamajiggy.

Ultimately, I would like to carry two metal mugs, 700ml each, with sealable lids, so they can also serve as water carriers, or hot drink carriers, and also be used directly as cook pots/mugs. I have been trying methods of epoxying the threaded rim of Nalgene type bottles to the outside of aluminum beer can mugs/pots, or thicker metal mug/pots. I will get there eventually. Perhaps they will finally come out with a stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum flask with a wide enough opening to use as a cook pot as well as a water carrier. I don't what is taking them so long.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have this thick plastic cup I have used from a 1960 cookset from my parents. .

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I have this thick plastic cup I have used from a 1960 cookset from my parents. .
    I use a plastic coffee cup from sometime in the 1970's I think (looks Brady Bunch) it's light and is my cookset easy.

Images

I have the Evernew 300ml (10.2 ounce) double wall titanium mug. I think it is the right size for me. I just had it out on the trail in 15 degree weather and even taking my time, it kept my tea hot until I was finished. I love it.

weight 3.9 ounces/Cost $36+

http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA354.htm

Panzer

I carry so little stuff, I've been considering going ceramic for a drinking bowl. It would be nice to have one such item. I really like the feel of eating my oats or soup, or drinking by hot cup of chai out of a ceramic bowl. My one at home weighs 10oz, and holds 500ml. I think I could be careful enough not to break it. I wonder what it might be like for baking some sort of scone.

I would like to get better at making a bowl/mug out of birch bark.

Images

Snow Peak Double Wall 600

400 mL evernew single wall cup with sipper lid. handles fold. made a cozy out of reflectix also, keeps coffee nice and hot

for coffee or hot tea i use a plastic 20oz water bottle cut in2 or a cut off 20 oz gaterade bottle

I have a lightweight plastic mug I got on a rafting trip 20 years ago.

Images

About $3. I scratched 1/2, 1, and 1.5 cup markings into mine. Fits over the bottom of my water bottle in my pack's side pouch and is handy when i need it.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

REI Titanium cup. I can make coffee in it and when the coffee starts to get cold I can put the cup on my Pocket Rocket and reheat it. I can usually drink my coffee fast enough to keep it from getting cold but if the outside temps are down in the 40's the coffee gets cold pretty fast.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I use a 20 oz mug from Speedway.It is insulated and has a lid. I cook most meals in it, pour boiling water on whatever and let it soak for 10 min. Usually rice and whatever. It doubles as a coffee mug. I boil the coffee water while eating and have coffee soup with whatever is left in the mug. Then final rinse with a little water which I also drink.( I dont waste water!)

aka Mokay
    Images

Default lightweight coffee mug

Duncan hines plastic frosting container with reflectix cosy, small hole cut in one side of the plastic lid for drinking out of and even small one punched in the other side for airflow. I boil water in my pot first for coffee and transfer the water to the cup, the reflectix keeps it hot while dinner cooks and the lid stops me from spilling coffee all over me and camp (I'm famously klutzy with very hot or very cold drinks!)
    HUGS - J

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Travel mug with a handle. Paid $1 at Dollar General. Holds 2 cups filled almost to the top 1 cup is one index finger down. keeps stuff hot as long as I need it. No need to stir most drinks or soup Just pour hot water on the coffee, cocoa, soup, whatever, put the lid on, and gently swish to mix. I usually pack up quick and get going in the morning so I finish my coffee on the trail and hang the cup on one of my straps with a carabiner.
    Alcohol was involved!

i use a plastic cup with lid for drinking. when i want coffee i pour one spoonful of coffee into the cup and fill it with hot water. wait a little and drink slowly. just leave the coffee it the botton of the cup. if its not strong enough you may try shaking the cup and stirring the coffee this way, or use a little more coffee next time.

greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

I use a 16-oz Nalgene. It's a multi-use item. I put a filter cone in the top and pour in hot water to get true drip coffee. I have a reflectix cozy to keep it warm. I also use the Nalgene to mix powdered drinks, and it serves as a hot-water bottle to keep my toes warm, the reflectix cozy helps to slowly dissipate the heat over several hours. And finally, the Nalgene serves as an extra water container if I'm traversing a particularly dry stretch.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80876

Images

The Aladdin Campmor mug has been my favorite for winter or summer. I learned a trick long ago from an old winter camper to drill a small hole through the out lip of lid and through the top of the handle and attach 5" of cord so that you never lose the lid. When you don't need the lid, it slides between the handle and mug body on this mug.
    Otherwise the base is stable, it keeps drink hot or cold for an hour and it is indestructible, unless you lose it.
    It weighs 4.8 ounces. There are lighter alternatives, but I am not worried about 2 oz when it comes to coffee habits.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++