WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    How would yer teeth/spoon work on an attacker? honestly? seems replies died after my story. told ya people would get bent....crickets.............
    Just pull out your 6 Dcell maglight and clobber them.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I agonize over this. Clearly I'll have the occasional need to cut rope, whittle a tent stake, perform field surgery ... But mostly I'll probably need to cut a bagel, smear some peanut butter on it, slice some cheese or maybe a nice greazy salami. So a lightweight knife with a blade that'll take some abuse, while spreading butter seemed to be in order. The one I carry in my pocket every day seems to be the one:

http://www.crkt.com/m16-01-edc-titan...zor-sharp-edge

However, I can see the need for a multitool kinda thing, and this'll be tucked in my pack:

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Micra

But what if I need to split wood for a fire? Or chop down small trees to make a litter to carry out some injured hiker? Or build a raft to float down a river? Or fight a bear, or a <shudder> crazed ax murderer? Clearly *this* is the knife to have:

That weight forward kurkri style blade rivals a hatchet for chopping power. Muy macho ... Sweet as that is, at almost a pound, it does tend to violate my UL sensibilities, so I found this:

At 9.8 ozs, it'll still split wood, plus you can shove a stick in the handle and turn it into a spear - useful for trout fishing and fighting off zombies!

So, as you can see, it's important to approach this subject from an operational perspective. Figure out the tasks for which you're most likely to need a knife and pick the lightest one that has the blade shape that'll spread cold peanut butter on a bagel ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I carry a Gerber 2", locking pocket knife. It is all I have ever used beside my toenail clippers (must have). However, to be honest I have tossed in my Leatherman Squirt P4 in the past as I like the feeing of having pliers if needed. That said, I don't think I have ever used it except for the bottle opener!

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-G...-fine-6149.htm

You can get one for about 20 bucks, best knife I've ever used. Had one since I was a wee little boy scout.

Journal Entries
    Images

The Benchmade 530 is a full sized knife that only weighs 1.8 oz
    http://www.rei.com/product/737697

L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    http://www.knivesplus.com/CAMILLUS-K...TARY-BOOT.HTML

I carry the pocketknife, best one I have found yet. Got it for 15 bucks off ebay, has everything I use, a good blade, can/bottle opener, reamer, screwdriver.
    I have one of those ones stamped "U.S.". My dad gave it to me 25 years ago. He got it in the 60's sometime. He used to carry it everday. I did for a while too but ever since he passed away i just keep it as an heirlom and a reminder of him. I have to say it is one of the best knives i've EVER had.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

I have this little number:

Koji Hara Ichi - 2.5 inch blade and it weighs just over an ounce. Works for my needs, especially since its designed to open one-handed.

Edited to add: Sheesh, this picture is bigger than life-size. Trust me, it is a small but sturdy knife
    Last edited by IceAge; 02-28-2011 at 17:53. Reason: Pic is too big

Images

For ALL your cutting needs!

“The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

Images

Needs a plasma torch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz View Post
    For ALL your cutting needs!

HEY! Thats the "MacGyver" edition swiss army knife! I've always wanted one.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Chilly Willy what knife is this. I never seen it before.

Anyway the knives I have are.

SOG Access card 2.0. $50 weighs only 1.8oz 2 3/4" blade. So light and thin you don't know you are carrying it.

Leatherman Skeletool 5oz 3" knife, pliers, scredriver, bottle opener. About $65.

http://www.rei.com/product/802109

I also have one of the dajo survival knives someone mention earlier, its OK since it weighs 6oz and is a 3.6" fixed blade with a fire starter and emergency whistle. If anything I usually just toss it in my daypack, just in case my lighter fails or I need a better knife then teh one in my pocket.

I also just bought a SOG seal revolver, which is a 4.75" Knife and Saw combo that also weigh 6oz and cost $30. I basically bought it to use with a wood burning stove. It should handle cutting up and splitting branches up to 2" thick, but I have not tested it yet. Having both a saw and a knife for 6oz total seemed like a good deal.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    Chilly Willy what knife is this. I never seen it before.

That's the KABAR Potbelly. Full tang, 1095 carbon steel, 12 5/8" Overall length, 7 1/8". It's a heavy blade, with the weight forward making it great chopper. The blade is thick enough that it could be battoned. I have one, but I wouldn't carry it on a thru-hike ... Well, unless I was worried about zombies, or packs of crank-addled pitbulls ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039B9GWU
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Seems to me that the more experienced the hiker, the smaller his knife.
    Last thru I did in 2002 with Pieps, he didn't carry any knife.
    Just bit things with his teeth or broke bread and cheese with his hands.

I usually carry a small "Ginzu" paring knife but have already just carried a single edged razor blade. I'm probably not the gram weenie i once was. Just try everything once.
    ( I don't mind carrying the ginzu and as old as my gear is now, it helps when i'm repairing things)

But of course, I started out with the buck knife, then went to the swiss army, then the single pocket knife, but the Ginzu is smaller, lighter, sharper than any of them and cuts everything i ever need cut: garlic, cheese, bread, string, sharpen pencils, padlocks, tent stakes, etc.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

My favorite knife for everday and on the trail is the Gerber Magnum LST holds an edge better than any I've had and at less than 2 ounces tough to beat, as for a multi-tool it depends on how remote an area I plan on hiking, the jury is still out.

Images

I've been carrying a ninja sword lately but its kind of in the way, any suggestions on how to pack it better? I only hike with a fanny pack so....
    can't never did

Default Hacksaw / Recip blade knives

I have made about 7 of each and will continue to make a few more till our March 20 departure. If left hanging in a shelter along the GSMNP AT, would they be appreciated?

Images

Colin Fletcher used and recommended the Victorinox Tinker (The Complete Walker IV) and the Victorinox Classic.

Just Hitting My Stride!

I carry a Wenger Diplomat. Its a bit bigger than the Victorinox Classic with the same implements and all I need. I use the scissors the most. http://www.wengerna.com/diplomat-16149

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wounded_knee View Post
    I have made about 7 of each and will continue to make a few more till our March 20 departure. If left hanging in a shelter along the GSMNP AT, would they be appreciated?
    NO its like beer left on trail. kids my get to it first. even if parents are with them.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    NO its like beer left on trail. kids my get to it first. even if parents are with them.
    but maybe leave with a hostel owner to give out
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++