WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chicken Pouches

"Then why bother with chicken from a can? The reason to get pouch/canned chicken is because is it can be used day 3 or 4. If you are gonna eat it right away why not go with fresh chicken."
    Where buying a modest quantity of boneless fresh chicken is an option --- sounds like a fine choice. I'm pretty sure that the cans are more commonly available, plus I can defer opening the can, whereas the fresh stuff is "going to start going bad" as soon as it goes into my shopping basket ...

I guess the other issue is that I'd never considered asking for a small quantity of already-cooked, boneless fresh chicken! I tend to think of the meat department in grocery stores as having uncooked meats. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime, though perhaps only in a trail town where I have a refrigerator available.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

At one point, about 3 or so years ago one could get pouched ground beef. It was HORRID. Think it was Jack Links? Or someone else. The issue was how greasy it was. And it was the equivalent of 1 lb so it was huge.

On repacking meat: only and only do this for same day eating. Meat goes fast in the hot days of summer. You really don't want to deal with food poisoning in the wilds!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I know that I am a late comer to this thread, but I stumbled on it during my search of the internet looking for help finding "chicken in a pouch" that I needed as an ingredient for a recent receipe that was in Backpacker magazine. Based on the info in this thread I finally completed my quest for what I was searching for. Although I had no luck finding it at a local Walmart I did manage to find the Tyson brand at the local Target. I had visited dozens of different food stores looking for the item, but thanks to all of your help I finally found what I was looking for. Now lets hope that the Backpacker mag recipe for "Farmer's Mash" was worth it all .

Images

This stuff was easy to come by a few years ago, now is getting scarce. Dam shame....was a versatile main ingredient for many, many trail meals for me...
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Bumble Bee used to carry 4oz packsI think they had like 4 flavors,South Western. Barbecue,lemon pepper and something else. I called them 2 weeks ago when I couldn't find it for an up comimg JMT hike .Customer service said they stoped offering it. Tyson is the only one that I know now. Most Super Wallmarts carry that.

If you want beef for meals something that works is to buy the Jacks Links "Kippered Steak" it is much more moist and thicker than traditional jerky, just cube it up and stir it in. It is a bit on the peppery side so keep that in mind and it is packaged way less than a pound.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Bumble Bee used to carry 4oz packsI think they had like 4 flavors,South Western. Barbecue,lemon pepper and something else. I called them 2 weeks ago when I couldn't find it for an up comimg JMT hike .Customer service said they stoped offering it. Tyson is the only one that I know now. Most Super Wallmarts carry that.
    Sweet Sue still makes, at least plain chicken. It's owned by Bumble Bee.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I agree about stores being "weird" - not just in different placement of items store to store (even the same chain of stores a few miles apart) ... but it's regional too. Here in Atlanta the chicken pouches are all over - both major supremarket chains, Walmart and probably more - BUT -you might not be so lucky in a smaller metro or rural area - or even in big towns in other states. Some types of Pop Tarts and Hellmans Mayo can be sold in one state - but not in a neighboring state - even in 2011! The same goes for the chicken. I like the pouches (7oz) myself. My favorite chicken pouch recipe combines it with a pack of stovetop stuffing and a cup of craisins called "Backcountry Thanksgiving".

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    My favorite chicken pouch recipe combines it with a pack of stovetop stuffing and a cup of craisins called "Backcountry Thanksgiving".
    I just jotted that down. Sounds excellent. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    My favorite chicken pouch recipe combines it with a pack of stovetop stuffing and a cup of craisins called "Backcountry Thanksgiving".
    My version is a half-box of stovetop stuff, 7oz pack of chicken, plus a packet of chicken or turkey gravy mix (and the add'l 1C water). Keep meaning to add craisins or bring a stalk of celery but haven't done either).

Images

amazon has several available now if you don't mind buying 12-18 packages
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++