WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

To be honest, (and I'm not going to argue either way about it), but as long as dogs are on the trails, I really don't worry much a a strict following of the LNT protocols. I bury solid waste and toilet paper. I carry out everything I carry in as far as packaging goes. I never build fires. I don't do anything near water. That's it. If I eat an apple, I throw the core as far as I can into woods when I get away from a shelter area. Since I don't use shelters unless absolutely necessary, there is nothing I do that is magnified by 1,000 other people doing it at the same location.

I started this thread over four years ago, and it keeps coming back to life. I guess I left a trace

I'll save you the trouble re-reading the whole thread and let you jump to my summary:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post976581

Just by replying to this thread I am violating LNT principles.

My view of LNT is fairly simple. I take my trash out as well as other people's trash. Think about it, if everyone picked up an extra pieces of litter, it would soon be all gone.
    As for toilet paper, human waste, and scraps of food....it is all biodegradeable and if you want to go and examine it to track someone, go right ahead.

My goal is simple. I want it to take a forensic investigstion to know I camped there last night.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I agree with the folks that said LNT is something to bring home with you.
    My job is close enough I should walk. better yet get a cheap bicycle. etc.
    I do have a big garden etc.
    should compost.
    It's not uncommon for people to move out of their rental, and leave a truck full of crap in the alley.
    So let's keep the trail pretty, and our parks, roadsides etc.
    but also try to heal our overloaded Earth.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    My goal is simple. I want it to take a forensic investigstion to know I camped there last night.

Too funny can I quote you on that!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Many Non-profits exist to give the people who work there good jobs with good wages. The so called mission is just marketing. Pick a NP and the go look up the salaries. Get to lve in DC and go to parties and talk about your good works. Chicks love it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wife and I LNT and pick up, as much as reasonable, traces left by others, too.

Journal Entries

As a LNT trainer, I find the best way of explaining LNT is not the 7 principals, but the '+3', which is respect for community, wildlife and the earth. From that the 7 are derived from and they are to be taken as reasonable given the conditions and they do vary from activity to activity.

Campfires are permitted (as you asked in the OP), but the LNT aspect is to use it sustainable, don't make large fires but make them on the smaller side but enough for the purpose (cooking, light, heat or just a gathering), get wood from far away as not to strip the area of wood. etc. Use a existing fire area, or if you make one break it down after and return it back to a more natural state. Consider alternatives to a rock ring, such as using a fire pan or some other methods such as a mount fire.

I did not leave Little Trace behind. He was with me the whole time.

I was surprised to find that many hikers don't have fires in the evening, and with the exception of a trip this past Winter where a fire was built for cookin' brats, I've yet to build a fire while on hiking trips. Not sayin I won't, just haven't...to tired at the end of the day...Though it was nice to roll into camp on that cold day (20+ degrees) and see a fire going. Whatta morale booster.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I was surprised to find that many hikers don't have fires in the evening, and with the exception of a trip this past Winter where a fire was built for cookin' brats, I've yet to build a fire while on hiking trips. Not sayin I won't, just haven't...to tired at the end of the day...Though it was nice to roll into camp on that cold day (20+ degrees) and see a fire going. Whatta morale booster.
    I started exactly one fire on my thru. I enjoyed the fire of many others and helped with gathering wood.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I started exactly one fire on my thru. I enjoyed the fire of many others and helped with gathering wood.
    yup, I dragged a couple charlie brown sticks in, the place was pretty well picked through. Part of leave no trace is gathering wood from distance, so as not to remove all the local downed wood, er so I've read. Kind surprised really, thought there would be more smaller branches after the last couple hurricanes.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    My view of LNT is fairly simple. I take my trash out as well as other people's trash. Think about it, if everyone picked up an extra pieces of litter, it would soon be all gone.
    As for toilet paper, human waste, and scraps of food....it is all biodegradeable and if you want to go and examine it to track someone, go right ahead.
    LNT requires used TP to be packed out in both Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks.

"Bury human waste 6” deep and at least 100 ft. from trails, camps, and all water sources. Pack out used toilet paper."

Sequoia:
    http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisi...ges-2-11-3.pdf

Yosemite:
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lnt.htm

I'll be happy when this is true everywhere. I HATE seeing other people's TP. Most of the time, I don't use TP. (I know... TMI)
    VERY entertaining Backcountry Poop Clinic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I don't use TP. (I know... TMI)
    Please remind me to not shake your hand when we meet.

Not to worry. I'm not all touchy feely.

I don't like touching anybody's hands out there. TP does not guarantee that your hands will remain poo free.
    Last edited by DLP; 06-25-2014 at 19:13.

Images

When I see the wildlife packing out their own excrement, then I'll know that I should pack mine out too... Until then, I'll make a proper cathole away from the trail and water sources or use a privy... You do what your conscience tells you!
    Biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    When I see the wildlife packing out their own excrement, then I'll know that I should pack mine out too... Until then, I'll make a proper cathole away from the trail and water sources or use a privy... You do what your conscience tells you!
    well then you obviously didn't watch the video "The Tucker Method" (7:45)

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Not to worry. I'm not all touchy feely.

I don't like touching anybody's hands out there. TP does not guarantee that your hands will remain poo free.
    That's what I was going to point out. It's not the hands you need to avoid ;-)

Anyway I started this thread over four years ago and it keep coming back to life. It's been entertaining.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++