WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default All about Fontana Dam/Village

I'm having a hard time trying to picture what this area is like. So, some questions if I may:

1) The "Hike Inn"'s website directions put the place in a totally different location than Google Earth. GE shows it in the Village.

2) Google earth shows the village, but it places the post office at 35°26'48.08"N, 83°49'3.56"W which is about a mile north of the village. right on the river. Is this incorrect?

3) I've read conflicting info about whether this is a dry county or not. Can beer, wine and or liquor be purchased in Fontana Village?

4) Where exactly IS the Fontana Hilton shelter? And is there tenting available at it?

5) What are the post office hours on Saturdays?

Thanks!

Images

You come across as someone in need of a Companion.

1) The "Hike Inn"'s website directions put the place in a totally different location than Google Earth. GE shows it in the Village.

It is not in the village, it is down the road just like they show on their website

2) Google earth shows the village, but it places the post office at 35°26'48.08"N, 83°49'3.56"W which is about a mile north of the village. right on the river. Is this incorrect?

The post office is in the village. It is in the same building as the store, laundry, and ice cream shop.

3) I've read conflicting info about whether this is a dry county or not. Can beer, wine and or liquor be purchased in Fontana Village?

I think it is wet, but don't remember exactly

4) Where exactly IS the Fontana Hilton shelter? And is there tenting available at it?

It is just up the road from the dam. Something like 3 tenths. There are spots you can camp nearby just like pretty much anywhere in the south. I don't remember any designated spots if that is what you are looking for.

5) What are the post office hours on Saturdays?

look it up in the companion

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    You come across as someone in need of a Companion.
    Thanks, Emerald, I do appreciate that and I do have the latest Companion. But...it has no Fontana map and doesn't answer any of my questions.

Basically, I want to hike into Fontana, pick up my bounce box at the PO, maybe grab a burger and a few last-minute items, then head to the shelter and tent for the night. The companion does not mention if tenting is allowed.

Images

Thanks, White Russian,

Wow, Google Earth's database for this area is totally farked.

Thanks for the real info.

the Lodge at Fonatana Village is very nice, open year round.... there's a phone at the rest rooms next to the AT road crossing just a mile down the road from the village, next to the marina, where u can call for a $3 shuttle ride to the village. The Post office is next to the small outfitter store/general store and ice cream shop, just a short distance from the Lodge. There is also a snackbar/grill and other stuff in a large building in the village, but I think it's open in the summer, not sure when they open.

I was thru there right after Christmas, the Village was pretty quiet...there busy season is summertime....there were a few guests there at the lodge for the New Years party. The hiker hostel is several miles back down the highway from the AT, not affiliated with Fontana Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    there's a phone at the rest rooms next to the AT road crossing just a mile down the road from the village, next to the marina, where u can call for a $3 shuttle ride to the village.
    You can also call from the dam if the visitors center is open.

It's been awhile but....
    1. You can't trust Google Earth? Just like GPS. It's all about data input/technology and human error.
    Someone posted the FAA tower on Snowbird Mtn. as Max Patch.
    Hike Inn grid: I can only guess but somewhere around this stretch of road: 35°25'25.41"N, 83°45'07.91"W
    2. Those coordinates put you on the end ofthe Blue Blaze bridge.
    Fontana Village grid is: 35°25'56.39"N, 83°49'17.17"W
    Beer/Grocery/P.Office is: 35°25'06.19"N, 83°49'31.70"W (part of "FVillage")
    3. See answer "2"
    4. Fontana Hilton is: 35°25'54.54"N, 83°47'38.03"W
    5. Call, usually 3 hrs. 0900 - 1200
    Disclaimer: coordinates I'm calling in are with the understanding I have 3 arty rounds until fire for effect (I'm getting old).
    Hope this helps.

Hard liquor like whiskey is only sold by state run ABC stores in North Carolina. There is not an ABC store in the village as far as I know.

Fontan Dam Visitor Center phone? Don't count on it being there this season. Locals have told me it's been pulled and hikers can instead use the phone (calling card) at the Marina's bulletin board located just as you cross SR28.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Last fall the phone at the marina was working...no charge....$2/3 shuttle to the lodge...they had a couple of "hiker" rooms at reduced price...$60 I think. Served beer at the grill and sell beer and wine in the country store. From the Lodge to the grill is about 1/10 mile...from grill to country store...couple hundred yards.

Cowpokes right about the no charge, I was thinkin' 'bout long distance home etc.
    Tent all you want at the Hilton shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    Cowpokes right about the no charge, I was thinkin' 'bout long distance home etc.
    Tent all you want at the Hilton shelter.
    So are you saying there is or is not a way to call the village from the dam for the shuttle. That is the only call I am worried about from the dam.

White Russion,
    Use the Marina's phone, like Cowpoke said.

Images

When the trail crosses the main road at Fontana, about a mile before you get to the dam, the Hike Inn is east several miles (right), and Fontana Village is west several miles (left). I wouldn't want to walk on this road.

Cross the road, walk through the woods for a couple of steps, and come out on the small road/parking area for the marina. Turn right and walk down to the marina office, where you should find a pay phone. IIRC you can see the office from the trail. Last time I was there they had a drink machine, too.

You can call for a ride to the Village, which is fine if your mail drop is there. If you need a night off and a resupply, you can call the Hike Inn and see if they have room. Better yet, call from NOC and make a reservation. Jeff and Nancy are good people.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I was at the dam in January. The phone at the marina took no money and was for calling the village for a ride. I also talked to Jeff and Nancy and they said you could use that phone to call them by dailing 9 for an outside line and then their number and Jeff would drive down and pick you up. Also at that time the road across the dam was closed to cars but you could still walk accross.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

storm has just given you the answers. please let this horrid thread die now. being within reach of jeff and nancy means you are safe. looking at google anything for info ion our trail is gay .
    matthewski

the gas station has the best food and cold beer,great people too.

Google Maps is notoriously inaccurate for street address locations in rural areas, sometimes even in cities. Always confirm with the Street View and if that is not available, DEFINITELY do not rely on the location on the map for a particular address.

I got a kick because in the satellite view of Manhattan you can see the Little Red Lighthouse sticking out into the river under the GW bridge but the label had it in the middle of the island several blocks east of the bus terminal. You can report problems like that to Google and I did and it looks like they have now fixed it.

Also, the USPS website shows no Saturday hours at the PO in FD Village so to be sure you might want to call the post office there and ask as close to the time you will be leaving as possible. The postal service is having huge deficits and are cutting back services and closing offices so I would consider anything like that to be in flux. Wouldn't be surprised if, for instance, they close the Mt. Washington PO completely.

Also if you can just stay at the hostel or the shelter you might be happier than being at the Village itself if you are on a budget. It is pretty far from town so you have to rely on them for all meals and purchases or try to get an expensive shuttle.

Here is the exact location of the shelter:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=ut...03444&t=h&z=18

Well, I actually placed the pin just to the right of the shelter so it wouldn't cover the roof. You can zoom out to see the parking lot, dam, and then the village farther away. I didn't bother to label any of that.

Images

[QUOTE=Appalachian Tater;975970]Thanks, Appalachian Tater!

It's in the budget to stay at the Hike Inn, but not sure I'll need it after being at the NOC. However, it's sounding tempting what with their shuttles and all.

Great info, really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++