WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone Know Any Cool Historical Sites Along AT?

I know the trail comes close to some old civil war battlefields, but does anyone know of any other cool historical spots?

Images

About 50 miles of the Appalachian Trail is in Berks County, Pennsylvania. The entire county is cool and so is everyone who lives here, especially our oldsters.

We provide better information about our A.T. than anyone else. No other A.T. county can boast of a thread like History as a Mystery, but you'll need to subscribe to Non-AT discussion if you want to read it. I hid it there for special occasions like your request.

Images

Brown Mountain shelter, just south of Lexington/Buena Vista, Va, which is rt. 60 has an intersting area down by the creek with signs talking about the old homestead that was down by the creek. there are remains of old coal fired oven and mills and other relic of there time period. North of there you pass some stone walls that are quite incredible considering how long they are and how they go straight up and over the mountains. there are also large stone piles on the ridges that were most likely used by civil war soldiers the hide behind as troops came up the mountain to the ridge

happy trails
    Treefingers
    GAME '06
    PCT '11

Plenty of history along the trail.
    Off the top of my head in and around PA:
    Rausch Gap in PA: Indian village and gold mine nearby
    Camp David in MD is very close to the trail.
    Jim Thorpe, PA is not far from Lehigh gap on the trail. Check out the Molly Maguires and the famous jail there.
    Pilger Rue or "Pilgrims rest" is near 501 in PA, an historical spot from the 1700's i believe?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I suppose every mile of the trail has some more or less interesting history associated with it. The Cheese Factory and Slaughter Gap are two early sites mentioned in the handbook, for example. Uncle Nick Grindstaff's grave, which you will encounter near Iron Mountain Shelter, has always held a morbid curiosity for me.

I wonder if anyone has attempted to compile of a history of these places?

Do a search on here for Sarver Hollow shelter. Also, when you get to Waynesboro, stop in at the museum the historical society operates there. The lady there spent about an hour discussing local history with me, and then arranged a private tour of an historic farm house they have in town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

I wonder if anyone has attempted to compile of a history of these places?
    Model T did, in Walkin' With the Ghost Whisperers. Chock full of the history along the trail, and the most interesting part is how admittedly incomplete it is due to space limitations.

As you pass through the Shenandoah NP there are several side trails that lead to old homesteads. Mostly foundations and chimneys, but at least one barn is restored and intact.

Images

Tesnatee gap at 36.2 is where John Muir crossed on one of his journeys.

In VA, about 2 miles before Atkins, is the settlers museum (just east of the AT) a worthy stop. You can see what the house I grew up in looks like. No, I did not live here, but in a similar house in SW Ohio. Almost identical in fact! Even the lay out of the out buildings is close, & the privy is exactly where it was on my parents farm. The museum is free to hikers, I would allow a few hours to see it all, or a few days to help with chores. I helped put up a new fence a few years ago.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

The AT in Mass. goes by (or close) to the site of the last battle of Shay's Rebellion (monument in a corn field).

The Animal (class of 2010) jnl82381's Avatar

I agree with Hikes in Rain. You should read "walkin' with the ghost whisporers" it's a great book.

Along with all the Civil War stuff down south, there is an Audi Murphy memorial marker at mile 681 where his plane crashed into the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    About 50 miles of the Appalachian Trail is in Berks County, Pennsylvania. The entire county is cool and so is everyone who lives here.

We provide better information about our A.T. than anyone else. No other A.T. county can boast of a thread like History as a Mystery, but you'll need to subscribe to Non-AT discussion if you want to read it. I hid it there for special occasions like your request.
    Pennsylvania......uhmmm. . . . isn't that in Canada somewhere?

Images

Burningtown Mountain.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

There are quite a few historical things to see in the Smokies if you are willing to hike a couple miles off the AT.

Overmountain shelter. Not only one of the best views from any shelter, close to the Overmountain Victory Trail.

http://www.nps.gov/ovvi/planyourvisit/maps.htm

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/m.php?wpt=Overmounta

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Gathland State Park

In Maryland where the MAHHA hammock hangout hangsout.
    an arch dedicated to the Civil War Correspondents.
    and there's a empty mausoleum there too.
    several more spots in Maryland
    Harper's Ferry nearby
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

There is someplace in NH that is soon to become a historic site. It will be known as the point furthest north that Matthewski made it on 20+ attempted thru-hikes.

Don't forgot the outhouse that Minnesota Smith had to sleep in so he wouldn't freeze to death when he slackpacked and didn't quite get as far as he thought he would.

Hapers Ferry, WV

Images

I think Gettysburg is near the trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++