WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    I agree with Wolf.. he want make it ..maybe we all should all get personal websites and have a catharsis about our lives ..personally I cannot stand is type of golly look at me stuff
    Hillbilly
    I agree with you.. granted, I read his biography page and he has overcome some big obstacles.. but it's still quite the lookatme site.. the bio makes him out to be a victim of life, soaking up every possible moment..

Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    being facetious

Thanks

FB
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Good luck to him. It would be an amazing thing.

Storyteller
    Images

Doesn't seem to make much sense to start with the NCT in January. Wouldn't it be smarter to start one of the N-S trails heading NOBO?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

skurka did the NCT in the winter when he did his C2C hike, then he did it again in January 2007

http://www.andrewskurka.com/hikes_index.php
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    Doesn't seem to make much sense to start with the NCT in January. Wouldn't it be smarter to start one of the N-S trails heading NOBO?
    My guess is he'd be facing too much elevation and latitude by mid-winter for the N-S routes .
    The NCT is less mountainous, less snow hopefully?

The part of the NCT I did was hard to follow in season. The blazes were a bitch to find. It was like, see a blaze, walk to it, search for another one. Real slow progress.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I noticed he is soliciting donations and sponsorships. I'll PASS.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I agree. Possible.

.... but doubtful
    I think we are on the same page. Here's what I wrote earlier:

Will it be easy? Hell no. Extremely difficult. Yes. But it is (just barely) on the edge of possible for someone.

I also said that someone sure as hell won't be me!!!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

He'll sure need a lot of luck with the weather.
    Both Brian Robinson and Squeaky had low snow years from what I remember.
    We got hammered in the spring on our attempt in CO and again in MT.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Wow! There's no way I could do that. I hope he makes it.

Default My input even though I wasn't asked.

I have recently come across this thread through my Google Analytics account. I decided that it is about time to I introduce myself and set the record straight.

-First, I'd like to thank the positive comments. I appreciate them.

-I made the website for the purpose of documenting my trek and to make the experience available for others to enjoy, IF they so choose too.

-As far as experience, here is a brief run down.

(1) I lived in a snow-cave on an island in the middle of a beaver pond for 6 months while skiing 5 miles to M.T.U. for school.

(2) For four years, I worked on the M.T.U wolf research project (world's longest running wildlife research project). I tracked wolves on a daily basis collecting data to calculate predation rates. I also spent two summers off the mainland on Isle Royale National Park conducting same work in the backcountry there.

-There was period of my life that I lived outside 18 out of 24 months.

-Have I thru-hiked before? Do I think this going to be easy? No. Never said that.

-Am I hurting anyone else by trying my best to reach my goals? No.

-A few years back, people also had negative remarks when my friends and I created a Junior Pistol Team. All of the members were in a graduating class of 30ish students, except for me being taught by my mother. As a group of small town kids we became U.S. National Champion Junior Team in all events for two years in a row as well as earn spots on the bench for the (adult) U.S. International Pistol Team. No one laughed after that.

-I am not saying I have super powers and nor I am saying I am a victim of anything. No sympathy wanted.

-I am only saying that I believe this trek is possible and I'm going to do my best to do it.

Please feel free to follow me or don't. That is your choice.

-Contact me via email, USPS or phone if you have any questions or issues. There is a full contact page on www.theinitiativesite.com

*Real names Preferred

Samuel,

good luck on your journey, and once ya get into Ohio i'd enjoy hitting the trail with ya for a bit as im currently hiking the Buckeye Trail in sections i'll keep up with your progress once ya get going.

about 35 miles a day every day for a year in the snow, sleet, hail, rain, scorching hot souther sun, with or with out a pack i dont think knees are made for such stuff. going from super cold in the nct to the south of the pct in the spring, then heading to the cdt in the summer and trekking the at in the fall. get sick one day and you have to make that up. sounds a lot like forest gump here. i dont think its possible, but then again, if you put your mind to it, anything can be accomplished. i think it would take a lot of support, lots of shoes, is he staying in a tent? if you think about it, its walking 2.5 miles an hr, for 16 hrs every day. that even gives 8 hrs sleep every night, but he would not be able to stop to eat, or anything else. and if he needs to make up a day, he can walk 10 hrs for 8 days and sleep 6hrs. i think he will need more rest. if i had to put money on it i can see 2 years, but 1? sounds a lofty goal. i wish him luck
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

Good Luck!

I would strongly recommend getting in touch with three people, Scott Williamson, Andrew Skurka and Justin Lichter, as they have logged trips ranging from 7,000 - 10,000 miles, through winter.

I don't know about Scott, but Andrew and Justin have websites with contact details.

Cheers

Images

Your credibility will increase after you complete the first trail, until then...

Your ambition is commendable.
    I wish you luck.

A few questions please:

How many 35+ mile days do you have under your belt (estimate is ok)

How much experience with map and compass in fog/rain/snow/limited sight? (triangulation) or do you plan to use a GPS with all the trails already installed? (if so, how do you expect to reload the different trails on the fly?

How many days food do you expect between resupply's on the western trails?

When do you plan to go through the "Bob"?, northern WA?, 100 mile wilderness?

What maps are you using for the CDT portion?

Any ultra runs under your belt (good practice for sleep depredation)

And this quote makes me wonder if you have any hiking experience:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H. Gardner View Post
    *Real names Preferred
    I really don't want to discourage you but, at least one successful thru-hike could mean the difference between achieving your goal and............and not.

I wish you lots of luck. Hopefully we can follow your journey here on whiteblaze somehow.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    He'll sure need a lot of luck with the weather.
    Both Brian Robinson and Squeaky had low snow years from what I remember.
    We got hammered in the spring on our attempt in CO and again in MT.
    not quite fiddlehead i did have record snow in the sierras and record snowfall on the AT. some very big snow dumps in the mahoosacs was a pain as i did the notch with over a foot of snow on those boulders!

what is this guy trying to do?
    **** the impossible

Sam, you have set one hell of an adventure in motion and i'd like to wish you luck... Don't mind the negative nancy's on here, once they thru they get an erogance that permiates two week old hiker stench...

Your living in a snow cave and such already seperates you from the masses, simply by attempting to live another way.. Checking out of the mainstream so to speak.. Most on here believe spending six months walking on the AT qualifies them as checking out and being hard core. Yet they spend thousands of dollars doing it, while spending every 3-4 days in towns, surounded by mainstream comforts... Take no offence, they mean no harm, just a heavy dose of elitism...

Have fun and i'll enjoy watching your adventure unfold.. Success or failure, it matters not, sure beats the hell out of the 9-5!

that's ARROGANCE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++