WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exped SynMat 7 vs Big Anges vs Neo Air

Ok, so I'm 200 lbs, and sleep on my side at night. I am about to drop some money for a decent pad, finally. I don't want to buy and try-return pads, so thought that I would get the advice from thru hikers.

Which pad is the best way to go for comfort/weight/and durability.

I laid on the Neo-air at REI, felt great but is loud as all hell. Like lying on potato chip bags.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I laid on the Neo-air at REI, felt great but is loud as all hell. Like lying on potato chip bags.
    Didn't bother me at all, but I also use earplugs.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've used a neo air on my last few hikes. I'm a side sleeper and it's the only thing that's worked for me.

If you do go with a neo air, know that it would be pretty easy to puncture it if you don't take precautions. If you're careful with it you shouldn't have any problems.

I may rethink the Neo Air, but want to hear about the Big Agnes insulated core first. I don't hike with earplugs because I hike alot in Grizzly Country. I want to hear the dinner bell ring.

Images

i'm 290 pounds and when i decide to sleep on the ground i use the exped synmat 7. im a side sleeper and my hips dont hit the ground or bottom out. plus, i dont have to inflate it myself. its a little bit bulkier but worth its weight in gold to me.

Images

+1 for the NeoAir......Not the most durable pad but sleeps great.
    Fast is fine but accurate is final....Wyatt Earp

Images

I have the Synmat and the Big Agnes. The Synmat is thicker and insulated, so it is my choice for cold weather or non-hiking situations. But I bought the Big Agnes because of its light weight and it is pretty comfortable, too. At 200lbs on your side you are probably going to bottom out on anything. I'm 150 and do OK on the Big Agnes (I sleep on my side too). If you can stand the weight, I would recommend the Synmat.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm you're weight, and my POE Insulmat Max Thermo (Ether Thermo 6 now) has worked great for me, for 5 years. Takes 9 big breaths to blow up.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

You might consider this guy: http://www.kookabay.com/. He can custom make a pad to fit your specifications and his prices are low. Here's a BPL forum thread about him: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=27714.
    Sailor

When not hammocking I use my BA Air core mummy pad.
    In cold weather I put closed cell foam on top.
    If I did a long hike without the hammock (I can't forsee that), I would bring the closed cell with the BA pad and use it underneath for puncture protection in warm weather, using it on top if the weather got cold. If the BA pad failed I would still have a warm (albeit firm) pad and not just a useless double thickness ground cloth. Any of the filled inflatables, down or otherwise would not be worth much if they went flat on you. A backup is a good idea.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    You might consider this guy: http://www.kookabay.com/. He can custom make a pad to fit your specifications and his prices are low. Here's a BPL forum thread about him: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=27714.
    Good idea. He made me a custom pillow that deflates to about the size of a 35mm film can. Good stuff.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I have the 25 X 77 NeoAir, I have only tried it out once, I am 285lbs. and I sleep on all sides, basically move around alot. I don't recall bottoming out and I inflated it to full and them let some air out until it felt comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Good idea. He made me a custom pillow that deflates to about the size of a 35mm film can. Good stuff.
    How much does that pillow costs you for custom made?

Thanks

BA is the tuffest of the bunch.IMHO
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

++ New Posts ++