WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I set up my poncho-tarp today by running the guylines through the straps. It's quick and easy.
    I teach cross country skiing. Every year I tell folks how to use their straps to push themselves and most of them are thankful for the tip.
    Btw: If your straps are too loose, you'll end up with your hand on the wrong part of the grip. For XC skiing, I have my straps technically too tight, so I can put my thumb on the top of the grip for more push. I have Leki hiking poles with a nice broad flat top on the grip which I use when going downhill rather than lengthening the poles for short stretches.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Just got back from a 3 day hike with the Leki's outfitted with the straps. Even though they were a little on the loose side, I still could see the benefit of the straps allowing me to relax my grip a little. They were much more comfortable than the straps on my other poles (Swiss Gear's from Wally world). Tightening up the straps a little more will probably make them perfect. They are a pain to adjust but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky2009 View Post
    Just got back from a 3 day hike with the Leki's outfitted with the straps. Even though they were a little on the loose side, I still could see the benefit of the straps allowing me to relax my grip a little. They were much more comfortable than the straps on my other poles (Swiss Gear's from Wally world). Tightening up the straps a little more will probably make them perfect. They are a pain to adjust but doable.
    Take them by Mahoneys and let them teach you how to adjust them.
    They should be easy to adjust.

When you learn how, you'll be able to adjust the straps faster than you can say "Jack Robinson".
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    When you learn how, you'll be able to adjust the straps faster than you can say "Jack Robinson".
    Ok, maybe saying that twice but understand it now It's much easier than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    You'll really love them when you slip and fall that the pole locks your arm in place and it snaps like a twig. I know two people this summer that happened to. I don't use straps, none of the ridgerunners use straps. I don't recommend them at all.
    Please don't say that. I really enjoy watching this, absolutely hilarious. I've seen it countless time on roots and never with an injury. Pole people forget their arms are connected to their legs thru their bodies. They truly think the force of gravity just goes away when they take the pressure off their poles. The pole catches and down they go. I used to try and warn them but they think physics does not apply to them, so I just enjoy it. Same with

Images

The straps are integral to the effectiveness of trekking poles. If you go through the strap from the bottom and put the handle between your thumb and fingers, it will provide sustantial assistance.. I have been using them soncxe 1998. Not keen pon twist locks-my Leki Makalu fail constantly.
    Just got new Black Diamond sticks.---YEAH!!!

Though I heartily recommends using the straps, I have to respectfully disagree with the "proper" way to use them. I put my hand through them when they are down and rest the strap under my palm just forward of my wrist. I snug the strap so it fits just tight enough to put my fingers correctly on the grip when I rest on the 'sling' provided by my strap. I do this for three reasons:

1. When I put my hands up through the straps and then grab the pole as normally suggested, then push off hard, the force of the push tries to twist my hand from "palm in" (on the grip) to palm down and forces it backward at the wrist. The way I wear the straps. the pressure is on the outside edge of my hand (the "karate chop" area) near my wrist and there is no twisting tendency. My wrist can resist the forces in this direction far more easily so it takes less energy and my wrist doesn't get tired or sore.

2. When going downhill I can slightly rotate my hand in the strap and transfer the pressure to the base of my palm, which is much better than the (still) twisting forces I get with the traditional method. This lets me "brake" much harder with almost no stress on my wrist or hand.

3. Most importantly, when I am on level ground, I can swing my poles forward with out hanging onto them at all. In fact, whether I go uphill, downhill, or along flat ground, I rarely hang onto my pole grip. My fingers simply curl loosely around the grip to stabilize the pole, but I can stick my fingers and thumb straight out (think jazz hands) and still control the swing and placement with no loss of pushing power. My poles automatically swing and plant with the natural swing of my arms, my hands/grips never get sweaty, and when I need to push off or brake the forces still naturally drive through my palms.

I have spent considerable time trying the traditional strap usage, and it was more work and more stress on my wrists. I had to actually hang onto the poles at all times (though lightly) or the pole would drop out of my hand, and all the stresses were trying to twist and bend my wrist back. I've been using my non-standard method for a decade now over 100's of miles of hiking in the PNW. I have bad knees and I lean on my poles hard.

I don't want to argue about all this. I just felt I should point out that the "correct" way may not be the preferred way for some people. I'm sure it works well for most, but not for me. I am of course receptive to comments.

Carry on.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-04-2014 at 23:06.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I carried straps for about 20 years of trekking pole use, never ever used them, finally wised up and now cut them off (or remove them, if possible).

I prefer to exercise my hand/fore arm muscles, and straps are just plain annoying anyway.

PLUS I do a lot of tree-skiing, and out of habit, never use straps on ski poles (you do not want to use pole straps when tree skiing!!!).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I carried straps for about 20 years of trekking pole use, never ever used them, finally wised up and now cut them off (or remove them, if possible).

I prefer to exercise my hand/fore arm muscles, and straps are just plain annoying anyway.

PLUS I do a lot of tree-skiing, and out of habit, never use straps on ski poles (you do not want to use pole straps when tree skiing!!!).
    Never even carried poles for the first 20, and when I did start enjoying the benefit (which are many) I sure did'nt want straps attached. I guess straps may be in the future....but not yet

This is a video I shot to show how I use trekking poles and about half a way in there is a demonstration of what happens when you trip using the straps the two different ways .

That grip would be safer if you can let go as you fall. I instinctively cling. There is no safety advantage for me.

Although I lengthen my poles on downhill, I do not shorten them on uphill. When going uphill, I plant the pole beside my feet, not in front of me, because I need to drive backward hard. If I plant forward of my own feet, I have to drive by rotating my wrists as much as by pushing with my elbows and shoulders (which are far stronger). I extend my arms in front of me and plant near my feet, then pull until the grips near my torso then I push. Poles work in alternating fashion until I need to really lean on them and then the swing together.

I think that the conventional wisdom is fine if you primarily use the poles for balance. If you use them to propel yourself forward up a hill (or even of flat ground), I don't think that is going to ideal for everyone. Often when aggressively pulling up a hill I will actually lift myself off both feet from time to time. I'm probably the outlier here, but I don't believe there is only one right way.

HYOH

Images

Am I the only one who plants and pushes off using my poles every step I take? (I believe it's called Nordic walking) I see so many people just lollygagging with their poles, and it makes me wonder why they even bother having them. They just sort of dangle them out in front and tap the ground with them in a random fashion as they walk.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Am I the only one who plants and pushes off using my poles every step I take? (I believe it's called Nordic walking) I see so many people just lollygagging with their poles, and it makes me wonder why they even bother having them. They just sort of dangle them out in front and tap the ground with them in a random fashion as they walk.
    No. That's how I use mine and rather than tightly gripping the pole, I insert my hands upwards (as with ski poles) and put most of the pressure on the straps. Going uphill, on the level, or only slightly downhill, I plant the poles about even with the opposite foot and push off. I find that lengthens my stride by an inch or two adding about 1/10 or 1/5 mph to my speed. Going steep downhill, I use my palms and plant the pole a little ahead to belay myself.
    Last edited by handlebar; 06-05-2014 at 21:22.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I never used the straps, got a new poles and tried using them the way they are supposed to BIG mistake for me , I slipped and tore the ligaments in my shoulder, a year later and my shoulder is still not healed. I do keep them on because when not using my poles they are easier to hold on to 2 straps than 2 poles

Images

A couple of weeks ago, while using my Black Diamond poles I tripped and fell forward while hiking the AT at Crocker Mountain. The pole strap actually kept me from falling onto my knees and I was able to regain my footing. With the amount of down/side force that was put onto the poles I was surprised they didn't break or at least bend.

Journal Entries
    Images

I pulled them off a few years back but put zip tye's in small loops inside the openings so I can still hang em off the pack or use them as tarp poles.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Just a reminder there is an old school product of Shelf Stable Bacon you can cook and keep unrefrigerated up to 30 days in your pack. You won't need a lot, so don't worry about the price. You can repack this into smaller quantitys and refrigerate the unused portions for later trips. http://www.broadbenthams.com/
    broadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Just a reminder there is an old school product of Shelf Stable Bacon you can cook and keep unrefrigerated up to 30 days in your pack. You won't need a lot, so don't worry about the price. You can repack this into smaller quantitys and refrigerate the unused portions for later trips. http://www.broadbenthams.com/
    broadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg
    Does the bacon come with straps?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++