WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Go to Amazon and get "Travel Light - Eat Heavy". Only trail food book I know of that actually has a system for calories. No dehydrating needed and everything can be bought at a supermarket. Great tasting too!

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    powdered milk and evaporated milk suck mooseballs. Don't even bother. Why ruin a perfectly good meal by adding that crap?
    The powdered whole milk is not bad. perhaps you have never tried it. Evaporated milk is great heated up in coffee--it is preferred in many countries to fresh milk for that purpose. Perhaps you have never tried it, either.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    powdered milk and evaporated milk suck mooseballs. Don't even bother. Why ruin a perfectly good meal by adding that crap?
    Now if you suck Moose udder were talking sore really tasty stuff.

Sure its nice but there are plenty of options and you will learn stuff from other folks along the way that you will add to your mental trail cook book. This weekend I learned about a on trail Calzone that I can't wait to try.

If you want boil and eat as many have said the sides work well and you can always buy a pre packaged meal like a mountain house or others to just break the monotony from time to time and then there is always town every few days.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

So... when will u post the info on the "trail calzone". That sure does sound good
    " We do not own the land that our parents pass down to us. Rather, we borrow it from our children."

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    Knorr look good but do you need the butter and milk? How do people carry butter on the trail? Im assuming hydrated milk is the substitue for reg milk.
    I use olive oil instead of butter. In the Hundred Mile Wilderness in early Sept. 2008 I experimented with ghee (clarified butter). Not as good as whole butter, but it kept from spoiling for 10 days (8 in the wilderness and 2 in Baxter), and was better (taste wise) than olive oil. Expensive at the market, though.
    I don't add milk to the dinners, though I used to carry nonfat dry for the protein and tried Nido, which I didn't like any better, really.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I use olive oil instead of butter. In the Hundred Mile Wilderness in early Sept. 2008 I experimented with ghee (clarified butter). Not as good as whole butter, but it kept from spoiling for 10 days (8 in the wilderness and 2 in Baxter), and was better (taste wise) than olive oil. Expensive at the market, though.
    I don't add milk to the dinners, though I used to carry nonfat dry for the protein and tried Nido, which I didn't like any better, really.
    Ghee -- or at least what I think of as ghee -- is easily made at home, or on the trail for that matter. Just gently melt the butter to a liquid state until it clarifies. Then pour the yellow butter into another container and throw away the milk solids that remain.

Powdered milk is an excellent inexpensive light weight source of protein on the trail. I use it all the time in most of the things I concoct. I've never tried lido, mostly because I rarely find it for sale, either in trail stores or at home. But I suspect powdered skim milk augmented with a little vegetable oil is healthier for you.

The only draw back to powdered dry milk that I've found is that it causes cooked dishes to burn on more easily. I get around that by mixing it with water and adding it as late in the cooking process as possible.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Ghee -- or at least what I think of as ghee -- is easily made at home, or on the trail for that matter. Just gently melt the butter to a liquid state until it clarifies. Then pour the yellow butter into another container and throw away the milk solids that remain.

Powdered milk is an excellent inexpensive light weight source of protein on the trail. I use it all the time in most of the things I concoct. I've never tried lido, mostly because I rarely find it for sale, either in trail stores or at home. But I suspect powdered skim milk augmented with a little vegetable oil is healthier for you.

The only draw back to powdered dry milk that I've found is that it causes cooked dishes to burn on more easily. I get around that by mixing it with water and adding it as late in the cooking process as possible.

Weary
    I've become a big fan of ghee (homemade) over the years. We actually make quite a bit every year, jar it and use in everyday food. A squirt bottle full comes with me on the trail. Depending on how well you remove the milk solids, how clean you keep the container and the temp, shelf life can be very long. Healthier than butter as it has much less saturated fat.

Everything is better with butter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Powdered milk, skip the butter!
    Olive oil instead of butter. Or even Squeeze Parkay lasts at least a week in the pack. "Lasts" as in doesn't spoil, I have never had any left after about day 5, so in that way it doesn't last.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

i have molly mcbutter powder. add it to noodles with pepper and hot sauce. its probably good for just about any lipton meal out there.
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

Ghee (clarified butter) is shelf stable for a good year when bought commercially. If you do it correctly at home you can get that much shelf life as well.
    Just don't ever double dip utensils into the butter - always use a clean spoon!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++