WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Granite Gear water proof/resistant?

I've had several trips where I hiked for hours in rain with my Granite Gear Vapor Trail with no rain cover, bag liner, or other water protection. Every time I never noticed any moisture on the inside. Has this been the experience of others? How water resistant do you consider your backpack?

My Vapor Trail has seen better days and I'm considering replacing it with another Granite Gear. I'd love to hear others experiences of non-waterproof bags that proved water resistant enough as well as when they were not.

Thanks

What year was your backpack made? My GG was made in 2006 and it is not even close to being waterproof. I had no idea that it was even supposed to be waterproof until somebody asked me about it and I thought the question was hilarious. The bag soaks up so much water that it is very noticeably heavy when wet. I would not trust my gear to stay dry without a garbage bag liner.

Its water resistant up to a point. The Cordura material has been known to have some water resistant properties. However, you do not want to trust it to a day of walking in the rain repeatedly. Just get an etowah rain cover. Lightweight and fits the Vapro Trail very well. You really should have something

Default Granite Gear water proof/resistant?

I think I bought in in about 2004. I even recall the sales person boasting of the bag being so waterproof, that it could practically be used as a flotation device. In retrospect this seems strange, because I don't think Granite Gear has ever seam sealed there backpacks or advertised them as being "waterproof." I never noticed any extra weight when wet, but I was not paying much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ascientist View Post
    I think I bought in in about 2004. I even recall the sales person boasting of the bag being so waterproof, that it could practically be used as a flotation device. In retrospect this seems strange, because I don't think Granite Gear has ever seam sealed there backpacks or advertised them as being "waterproof." I never noticed any extra weight when wet, but I was not paying much attention.
    A guy in 08 used a liner and no rain cover and it worked well for him. I just dont like the idea of a wet pack in the vestibule.

I agree that a rain cover is the recommended practice. It's just hard for me to convince myself that it's necessary based on my past experiences. Especially if I seal the seams from the inside. I've been in constant rain with it for long periods of time, but never extremely hard rain. What have others experiences been? I'm I way out of line?

My Vapor Trail definitely wet thru the first time I hiked in the rain and I didn't forget it. I used a liner and a pack cover after that.

My 2006 Vapor Trail is definitely not WP. You might be able to spray a pack w/ something like Silicone to make it more water resistant, but in a heavy downpur or just a light rain of long duration my Vapor Trail would wet through. You would need a WP pack liner or WP pack cover w/ a Vapor Trail if you absolutely didn't want wet gear at the end of the day.

My Nimbus Ozone leaked like sieve. I used a trash bag liner. I tried and didn't like the pack cover due to some seepage, but found the trash bag is 100% waterproof.

My single biggest complaint about the Granite Gear designs is the roll-top lid - It has a tendency to allow water to pool. I actually seam sealed the top, which helped, but after 100+ days in the sun, the fabric was no longer water resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by ascientist View Post
    I agree that a rain cover is the recommended practice. It's just hard for me to convince myself that it's necessary based on my past experiences. Especially if I seal the seams from the inside. I've been in constant rain with it for long periods of time, but never extremely hard rain. What have others experiences been? I'm I way out of line?
    I still say that no pack is waterproof. Some may say resistant. When it rains its one thing, hiking in a downpour for hours at a time will break down anything and absorb water. Even the condensation!!! Fact of life, you will have to deal with wet gear. How wet depends on the hikers preparedness

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    My Nimbus Ozone leaked like sieve. I used a trash bag liner. I tried and didn't like the pack cover due to some seepage, but found the trash bag is 100% waterproof.

My single biggest complaint about the Granite Gear designs is the roll-top lid - It has a tendency to allow water to pool. I actually seam sealed the top, which helped, but after 100+ days in the sun, the fabric was no longer water resistant.
    Buy one of the lids, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Buy one of the lids, problem solved
    Lids are heavy (3oz from Granite Gear), and it doesn't eliminate the need for a trashbag.

If you look at the pack design, you'll see that the stitching is external, which literally forms a lip on the top of the pack. Additionally, the top compression straps and frame-sheet are attached to the fabric in such a way as to trap additional water.

There are simple design changes that could be made that would solve these problems without creating other issues (and yes, I did send a polite email to the folks in Minnesota).

Complaining aside, the Nimbus the best pack I've owned. My new ULA Circuit will hopefully arrive on Thursday (the Nimubs is retired, and I wanted something smaller), so that will hopefully set a new standard.

if you have hiked with it.. and yours is waterproof.. what does it matter if others are? yours obviously works and you obviously dont seem to want to take the obvious advice of getting a pack cover (negligible in weight and packing size). sorry, im a little confused?

I tie a J-knot in the top. Pull the drawstring tight, twist all the excess fabric tight (like you're going to wring it out), bend the top of the twist down and wrap the drawstring around multiple times then tie it.

I also use a trash bag liner, and never had a problem with wet gear in my Nimbus Ozone.

I was responding more to the bunched up top when you role it down.

Either way, you are doing what I did a couple of weeks ago. I was torn between Granite Gear and ULA. I just did what i should have done awhile ago and gotten the Circuit. I still have a GG and love it. I just sold a Nimbus Meridian to a thruhiker and think he will love this pack. Either way, GG and ULA make the best packs

Lids are heavy (3oz from Granite Gear), and it doesn't eliminate the need for a trashbag.

If you look at the pack design, you'll see that the stitching is external, which literally forms a lip on the top of the pack. Additionally, the top compression straps and frame-sheet are attached to the fabric in such a way as to trap additional water.

There are simple design changes that could be made that would solve these problems without creating other issues (and yes, I did send a polite email to the folks in Minnesota).

Complaining aside, the Nimbus the best pack I've owned. My new ULA Circuit will hopefully arrive on Thursday (the Nimubs is retired, and I wanted something smaller), so that will hopefully set a new standard.

Images

I sold my Circuit to get a Vapor Trail.....

Neither pack is remotely waterproof, although both will do okay if you seam seal them. I don't think either would have a high hydrostatic head.

Sounds like the consensus it that they are not at all waterproof. I find it hard to believe that there is something different about my Vapor Trail. Maybe mine has let some water through and I just didn't notice it. As punishment for my misguided question the next time there is a hard downpour I stand in the rain for 2 hours with a full bag.

Regardless of the results based on these comments I would defiantly take more protection for a thru hike. I am meticulous about how I role the top, but water still pools on mine.

++ New Posts ++