WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Next cottage industry...wood stove without battery.

Bear with me...I just kinda thinking out loud.

Seems that the Beaner might not be all that. Both the zip stove and wood-gas stove require a battery. Both the zip and wood-gas stoves are heavier than most other stoves (weight is saved in not needing to carry fuel). The bulk of this extra weight seems to come from two things...the electric motor and and battery to power said motor.

Here is my thoughts

1. Add holes in the correct location so that on a windy day the stove doesn't need a fan but is powered by the wind.

2. Replace the motor with one of those things that power windup toys and add a small crank. That way on non-windy days you can power the fan with minimal cranking (in between stirring food and adding more fuel)

I am not mechanically inclined to make any of this works...but if you can you might have the next cottage industry on whiteblaze. (If you make millions don't forget to say thanks and send me a nice x-mas gift.)
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

You don't need a fan if you can tolerate a bit of soot. That's a NIDO can. the hole pattern is many places on the web.

You can add a tube brazed through the side at the bottom and a hose to blow through if you want to add a draft. I haven't found it necessary the few times I've tested it.
    Last edited by Grinder; 03-02-2010 at 12:34. Reason: spelling
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    You don't need a fan if you can tolerate a bit of soot. That's a NIDO can. the hole pattern is many places on the web.

You can add a tube brazed through the side at the bottom and a hose to blow through if you want to add a draft. I haven't found it necessary the few times I've tested it.
    I've made several in this style using juice cans. No hose, blower, etc needed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A wood stove w/o a battery?

Let's do a photo puzzle!

PLUS

PLUS

EQUALS

(
    Being serious..just Google "hobo stove"..they've been around for a looooong time)

Last edited by Mags; 03-02-2010 at 19:25.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A wood stove w/o a battery?

Let's do a photo puzzle!

PLUS

PLUS

EQUALS

(Being serious..just Google "hobo stove"..they've been around for a looooong time)
    Yeah....but none of those do the gasifciation (sp?) of the zip or wood-gas stoves. The hobo stove is basically a camp fire in a tin can. I am talking about having the same functionality (quanity of heat/amount of wood) as a zip.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

As Mags said, these have been around a LOOOOONG time. You dont need a fan, etc to make a wood stove do gasification

You boozed up knuckleheads are late to the party:

http://www.bushbuddy.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    You boozed up knuckleheads are late to the party:

http://www.bushbuddy.ca/
    That doesn't gassify and doesn't have a fan. What I am proposing is a zip stove with a crank instead of a battery.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

Field tested by Nimblewill Nomad over many thousands of miles. Similar designs in use for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

Field tested by Nimblewill Nomad over many thousands of miles. Similar designs in use for decades.

Yet another example of a hobo stove. I am talking about a zip stove (with a fan) just powered with a the same type of device that powers a kids wind up toy instead of a battery and electric motor.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Yet another example of a hobo stove. I am talking about a zip stove (with a fan) just powered with a the same type of device that powers a kids wind up toy instead of a battery and electric motor.
    Not getting too far with that idea, eh? Try contacting the WoodGas Stove company directly at 1-800-995-6631 or through their website at www.woodgas-stove.com. The inventor thinks outside the tube and could be receptive to your idea.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    As Mags said, these have been around a LOOOOONG time. You dont need a fan, etc to make a wood stove do gasification
    Yea I can't see the point in a fan really. I love wood stoves though.

Images

Ah the joys every man gets with something's burning.

Make a sterling motor that runs off the heat of the fire.

Journal Entries
    Images

And now for the holy hand grenade.......Who needs a damn battery..

OK I am from the strange humor forum, but, hobo stove? I really have played with after a few utubes and tried to improve the gasification. It works but is really unbelievably smoky and dirty, beyond even a dishwasher to clean up.. More dirty than a conjugal visit....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Why does wood fuel need to burn at a high(er) "quantity of heat/amount of wood," level? I often hear discussion of this topic and have always thought that with wood fuel (unlike fuels that must be carried) efficiency should not be a big deal. What am I missing?

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ascientist View Post
    Why does wood fuel need to burn at a high(er) "quantity of heat/amount of wood," level?
    The energy output of a fire is more or less regulated by the amount of oxygen in the system. So in an effort to increase efficiency we see forced air designs (zip stove) and "turbo" designs (exhaust burners). I personally see no need for such approaches. I think if you want your fire to breathe well then you should suspend it somehow and allow it to breathe from below. Nimblewill's stove is nice but he would get much better boil times if he drilled some holes in the bottom plate. Until that happens, this is the most efficient woodburner I'm aware of: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29344
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Ya want the wood to burn better and hotter? Just use the right kind of hardwoods don't use pine etc I mean I know on another site I go on a lot they use the hobo stoves all the time NONE of them have fans on them just something else you have to lug around with you if it breaks or you run out of juice to power them. As said me I wouldn't bother with a fan but hey that's just me.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I think the next cottage industry will be lighter food, IE like 8oz per day at 4000 calories.

Lighter water would be nice too. I mean its just hydrogen and oxygen but it sure is stinkin heavy. I would settle for 8oz weight per gallon.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I think the next cottage industry will be lighter food, IE like 8oz per day at 4000 calories.

Lighter water would be nice too. I mean its just hydrogen and oxygen but it sure is stinkin heavy. I would settle for 8oz weight per gallon.
    LIghter water? How are we going to do that?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++