Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 188
  1. #41
    Nalgene Ninja flemdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    I really hope this happens for Pat and Vicky. The grand ole Doyle deserves a renovation, its got much more charm per sq foot than any Marriot or Hilton I've ever stayed in. And several times during my too short stay there last summer I wondered what a million dollars in renovations would do. Hopefully we can find out.

  2. #42

    Default

    my name is matthew claude weinstone. i stole 400 bucks from my moms bank card and rand away to the appalachian trail at port clinton at the age of 14 or 15. i walked with thru hikers(hawk and some other dude i forgett) to duncannon and rented a room in the doyle. it was 7.50 a night or 15 for the week (mon to fri) so i rented it for the week. i took a bath in the little bathroom witch had a much larger tub. i ate in the bar. i bought candy and the book fools die by mario puzzo, who wrote the godfather, at millers drug store and holed up in the honneymoon sweet for a week makeing myself sick with peanut m&m's and guilt over steeling moms cash. mr millers still there. then on friday i called mom and asked her to send western union moneys to buy a ticket to come home. she didnt know i was gone. and forgave me instantly. over the years i returned many times. allways in the spirit of my mom i stayed in the smallest room at the top of the stairs with no heat. (like mom did in her million dollar house at 3 or 4 hundred pounds she was big, but would squeeze herself into small cars and live cheap and give all her money and love freely)room 23 is like moms room to me. i miss her much.
    matthewski

  3. #43
    Registered User Panzer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-2005
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,615
    Images
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there goes any charm it had. prices will soar if it happens
    There are plans to keep prices down for hikers by having some kind of bunk room for hikers. Maybe 2 bunk rooms, one for men and one for women.

    Otherwise, yes the prices may go up some for the non-hiking public, depending on how much renovations are performed.

    Panzer

  4. #44

    Default

    Why would prices rise? I've never watched the show, but arn't things of this nature paid for by the show?

  5. #45

    Default

    my plan includes a bazillion really nice cots, the kind with padding, in the room we use for our events on the second floor . along with a long pullman kitchen along the stage wall. and a divider curtian just 10 feet out from the stage wall that can hide the kitchen and cots stored , and the room can be a function room still. and a second divider down the middle of the room if boys and girls want to sleep apart. also, this room and a private entrance to the bar would be highly sound proofed from guests of the non hiker genra.my plan includes a drying room and impact resistant wall and floor coverings so hikers can be hikers. my plan includes the joining of the basement to the first floor by removeing the floor and exsposing a large two story deep sunken stone walled baroom and billards room. with skylighing from the stairwell being brought to this area by the elimination of that part of the bar and kitchen ceilings witch presently block the sun. and the removal of the roof over the stairwell to be replaced with auto opening skylight pannels. i propose the kitchen be left where it is but put on a loft structure , bathed in sunlight and standing above the sunken baroom.
    with a pull dumb waiter to lower food. i propose the guest rooms be done in exsquisit historoc perfection to create only a few, very large suites of luxury for the rich only. then it would be a meeting place and a bridge betwixt them and us.
    matthewski

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2003
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there goes any charm it had. prices will soar if it happens
    Kind of have to agree with you on this one. The commuity as a whole needs a makeover perhaps, but the charm of the doyle is in its old style architecture and like it or not, it's shabbiness. It just wont be the doyle if its shiny and new. I'd love to see someone donate money to pat and vicki, but Id hate to see the effect of a tv show reality camera (Have you ever watched the show? Its really bad reality tv at its worst...) exploiting our friends emotions for a tv moment and then disappearig leaving the doyle something it was never meant to be and ruining the atmosphere and the accessibility for hikers (lets face it, a bunk room for 25 bucks sucks compared to a private room for 25 bucks..many may pass it by) and possibly it's relationship to the rest of the town. Fixing the place up a bit would be fantastic, tearing it down and rebuilding a whole new shiny thing (which is what they do) would be sad IMO. It's well known fact that charity can have a detrimental effect especially if it is not equally spread throughout a community. Rebuild the school or church or firehouse, not the doyle.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2003
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,961

    Default

    Pat and Vicki forgive me, you know I love you and the Doyle...just saying.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2003
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,961

    Default

    On the other hand, I suppose it is a bit selfish of me to think that way....I'm not the one who has to fix every damn leaky hole or fixture or floorboard....

  9. #49

    Default

    the dude has voiced an opinion. matthewski has seen the future. on the nite of the show, they save a minute to interveiw the dude afterwords. after words that hes eaten.
    matthewski

  10. #50
    Registered User mtnkngxt's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-29-2007
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    732
    Images
    1

    Default

    It would be nice if they could get some help doing some repairs. But Extreme Makeover will only hurt its draw to the hiking community. That show stuffs as much expensive crap into their projects as possible. Who is going to let smelly dirty hikers sit on expensive furniture and track dirt and debris on nice floors and carpet?

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Kind of have to agree with you on this one. The commuity as a whole needs a makeover perhaps, but the charm of the doyle is in its old style architecture and like it or not, it's shabbiness. It just wont be the doyle if its shiny and new. I'd love to see someone donate money to pat and vicki, but Id hate to see the effect of a tv show reality camera (Have you ever watched the show? Its really bad reality tv at its worst...) exploiting our friends emotions for a tv moment and then disappearig leaving the doyle something it was never meant to be and ruining the atmosphere and the accessibility for hikers (lets face it, a bunk room for 25 bucks sucks compared to a private room for 25 bucks..many may pass it by) and possibly it's relationship to the rest of the town. Fixing the place up a bit would be fantastic, tearing it down and rebuilding a whole new shiny thing (which is what they do) would be sad IMO. It's well known fact that charity can have a detrimental effect especially if it is not equally spread throughout a community. Rebuild the school or church or firehouse, not the doyle.
    They do not tear down every structure and with the history of the Doyle I'm sure they would go the restoration route. As far as the Doyle not being worthy and those that say the money time and effort would be better spent a school or firehouse or church or VA hospital, yes, there will always be people in need and some more deserving of others but the logic here is saying if you are not going to help the blind homeless 1 legged orphan Christian Veterans, then there is no sense in helping anyone. To this I say helping someone, anyone, is better than helping no one and sitting around bad mouthing those that do. Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up. Some peoples cups are 1/2 empty. Some peoples cups are 1/2 full. I say order a round at the Doyle and fill everyone's glass to the brim so theyzle stop bitchin'

  12. #52

    Default

    The show did a makeover on a families home south of Atlanta. Great house, the show paid off the mortgage. Everybody happy. Year or so late family took out loans against the property - around 600K IIRC - and defaulted. Bank owns it now.

  13. #53
    Registered User Panzer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-2005
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,615
    Images
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Who is going to let smelly dirty hikers sit on expensive furniture and track dirt and debris on nice floors and carpet?
    The "smelly dirty hikers" are just going to have to learn to wash, that's all there is to that.

    Panzer

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up.
    business. plain and simple. a totalally remodeled structure with new rooms, air conditioning, showers, etc. with fetch higher prices. hikers ain't the doyle's bread and butter. just a small market

  15. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The show did a makeover on a families home south of Atlanta. Great house, the show paid off the mortgage. Everybody happy. Year or so late family took out loans against the property - around 600K IIRC - and defaulted. Bank owns it now.
    Yep and there is a guy who won over 80 million in the lottery that is now broke and in jail. Your point?

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    business. plain and simple. a totalally remodeled structure with new rooms, air conditioning, showers, etc. with fetch higher prices. hikers ain't the doyle's bread and butter. just a small market
    hahaha. dude you're pipe dreaming. hiking "season" is extremely short. duncannon has no other draw. Your 2 statements here seem to contradict one another LW. Care to clarify?

  17. #57
    Registered User Panzer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-2005
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,615
    Images
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    business. plain and simple. a totalally remodeled structure with new rooms, air conditioning, showers, etc. with fetch higher prices. hikers ain't the doyle's bread and butter. just a small market
    A lot will depend on the extent of the renovations. My guess is that it will only be a superficial renovation. No new showers, no air conditioning, no new rooms.

    Maybe new electrical wiring - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new plumbing - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new windows - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new paint job - which can't charge more for
    Maybe new floor - which can't charge for
    Maybe new lighting - which cannot charge more for

    ect, ect

    Panzer

  18. #58
    Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-20-2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Age
    55
    Posts
    441
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    The "smelly dirty hikers" are just going to have to learn to wash, that's all there is to that.

    Panzer
    The hikers will be put on a conveyor belt through a sort of carwash & forcibly washed with foaming brushes & sprayed with hoses then blown dry.

    Then they'll hang one of those little pine tree air fresheners on your ear & let you inside.

    One of many improvements.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

  19. #59
    Registered User Lyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-25-2006
    Location
    Croswell, MI
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,934
    Images
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    A lot will depend on the extent of the renovations. My guess is that it will only be a superficial renovation. No new showers, no air conditioning, no new rooms.

    Maybe new electrical wiring - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new plumbing - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new windows - which cannot charge more for
    Maybe new paint job - which can't charge more for
    Maybe new floor - which can't charge for
    Maybe new lighting - which cannot charge more for

    ect, ect

    Panzer
    Have you ever seen the show? They don't do remodels that don't completely change the structure. As other's have said, normally it's a bullldozer for the initial phase.

    This will NOT be anything close to the same Doyle.

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Have you ever seen the show? They don't do remodels that don't completely change the structure. As other's have said, normally it's a bullldozer for the initial phase.

    This will NOT be anything close to the same Doyle.
    I have seen the show and while most of the time phase 1 is a bulldozer, occasionally they will do a remodel or restoration and save an existing structure. This is what I feel they would do with the Doyle considering it's historical significance in the community. I think they would save quite a bit of it. With that said, I agree that ,when they are done, it will be nothing close to the same Doyle either. (That's a good thing)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •