WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I talked to Pat and Vickey about this over the weekend at the Winter Warmer. They said one of the first questions ABC asked was can we tear it down and just completely rebuild, and they said no, absolutely not. So that is not a concern. I am sure that ABC will want to do a complete remodel, and not care that it looks anything similar to how it does now. Their interests are in making a good TV show, which means making a luxury hotel out of an old rundown building. So no, they will not tear it down, but neither will they preserve it exactly how it is.

As for out pricing hikers, Vickey made it very clear that hikers were her number one concern, and that the decisions she makes with the Doyle are all for the hikers. While things may drastically change she will not agree to any plan which makes the Doyle inaccessible to hikers either financially or otherwise. As was pointed out this may mean that they get multiple private rooms at a higher price and then a bunk room for hikers, but there will always be something for hikers, at least as long as Vickey is in charge.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Have you ever seen the show? They don't do remodels that don't completely change the structure. As other's have said, normally it's a bullldozer for the initial phase.

This will NOT be anything close to the same Doyle.
    They bulldoze down small residential homes. This is not a residential home.
    Were talking apples and oranges here.
    There's no comparison to a small residential home and a 4 story hotel.

Also Vicki said when they asked her if it would be Ok to bulldoze, she said "no".

Panzer

So where are Pat and Vicki going on there 1 week vacation and do they have to take Matty with them?

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    A ship leaves port on a 3 year mission. in that time the ships carpenter replaces every board. is it the same ship that returns to port?

I was thinking of makeing florida an island by cutting most of it away and sinking it leaveing just the keys. we'll party there.
    Ok, that's exactly my question... what's the difference if they redo all of the walls and structure as to just plain demo? also, as a side note, I don't believe my computer functions well under water.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

I don't know if anyone did this, but if you look at the hotel with street view on google earth/maps you can see a hiker going in the front door. Totally off-topic, but sorta leaves a lasting impression on a guy.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Let's get right to the crux of the matter. How is all this hullabaloo going to effect their beer prices?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    They bulldoze down small residential homes. This is not a residential home.
    Were talking apples and oranges here.
    There's no comparison to a small residential home and a 4 story hotel.

Also Vicki said when they asked her if it would be Ok to bulldoze, she said "no".

Panzer
    Fine, they won't bulldoze it. But have you seen how they do "renovations" to get past new construction codes? They may leave part of one wall up so that they can call it renovation not new construction.

I understand that that is not something Vicki wants, so it probably won't be destroyed. But the name of the show should clue you in that they wouldn't come in intending to rewire and re-plumb the place and maybe add a coat of paint and some new floor covering. The show is called EXTREME Makeover. That's what they do. Wouldn't be worth their time or live up to the expectations of the show if it wasn't radically different when they were finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Fine, they won't bulldoze it. But have you seen how they do "renovations" to get past new construction codes? They may leave part of one wall up so that they can call it renovation not new construction.

I understand that that is not something Vicki wants, so it probably won't be destroyed. But the name of the show should clue you in that they wouldn't come in intending to rewire and re-plumb the place and maybe add a coat of paint and some new floor covering. The show is called EXTREME Makeover. That's what they do.
    And the Doyle just happens to be in need of an extreme makeover. Seems like a good fit to me. Not exactly sure what your grudge is with the show. They take families that are having financial or other hardships with properties in dire need of being repaired or rebuilt and do just that, often paying off the mortgage, giving away a new vehicle and a great vacation in the process. OK maybe your right. Those Extreme Home Makeover people should be stopped! How dare they try to help people!

Told you, matty...told you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    And the Doyle just happens to be in need of an extreme makeover. Seems like a good fit to me. Not exactly sure what your grudge is with the show. They take families that are having financial or other hardships with properties in dire need of being repaired or rebuilt and do just that, often paying off the mortgage, giving away a new vehicle and a great vacation in the process. OK maybe your right. Those Extreme Home Makeover people should be stopped! How dare they try to help people!
    Yeah, with so many families with hardships these days, I'm sure Extreme Home Makeover sponsors are just dying to fund the makeover of a "for profit" business. Would be a funny charity slant, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Yeah, with so many families with hardships these days, I'm sure Extreme Home Makeover sponsors are just dying to fund the makeover of a "for profit" business. Would be a funny charity slant, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.
    They would not be renovating a McDonalds. They would be remodeling/restoring a building that, although privately owned, has historical significance and sentimental value for hundreds of hikers and happens to be in desperate need of repair. Probably much more than Pat or Vicki would be able to do or pay to have done. Without the show stepping in I suspect the Doyles days would be numbered. To jump all over the show if they choose to fix up the Doyle 1 week instead of just building housing for blind, one-legged, homless, Christian veterans every week, week in and week out, seems very cynical.

allow me gents,..mamm.
    i have restored and cared for these buildings in historic philadelphia since a young age with my own contractors lic on file with the city of philadelphia
    the hill phisick house ,home of the father of american surgery
    the philadelphia atheneum, the nations oldest repository for periodicals.
    the samuel powel house , home of mayors of philadelhhia.
    glen ford mansion, guest house to many presidents.
    stenton museum, home of john stenton, william penns builder.

and many many many more historicaly important structures. i make alot of money and im at the top of my profession. i work with dozens of contractors at once and allways , under my gc. so......

here is how a pro looks at the situation. the brick and stone are the only things that stay. all mouldings may or may not be saved but the cornice stays and all else goes. floors...gone...walls....gone.

and the rebuild is pimped out but the exterior , other than landscapeing , is identical. and by the way. not any codes in duncannon. its a free for all. a dream job with lots of profit. so when a guy who has plopped down on three beds washington slept on and eaten from jeffersons cereal bowl when no one was there , trust me. i know how this will go down. theirs no building more suited to the show in this part of right here.and the perticulars of this job leave tons of splurdge money for them to pay the vick , ...bet?
    matthewski

I guess it takes someone who does nothing good for anyone but themselves to look at somebody doing something good for others and criticize them for it.

oh and by the way, abc is exspanding the shoiw and this is their first attempt at a buissness. they belive the small buisness man is worthy of the shows efforts. so it wont be a week in mexico. more like a month in fiji. and all your other worries should fade at the reopening party . and if they dont, and you still worry, come to cot 23 in the bunk room and well hang out and sneak a whisky.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The show did a makeover on a families home south of Atlanta. Great house, the show paid off the mortgage. Everybody happy. Year or so late family took out loans against the property - around 600K IIRC - and defaulted. Bank owns it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Yep and there is a guy who won over 80 million in the lottery that is now broke and in jail. Your point?
    Probably the same as your example, not that it has anything to do with the owners of the Doyle.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    Ok, that's exactly my question... what's the difference if they redo all of the walls and structure as to just plain demo? also, as a side note, I don't believe my computer functions well under water.
    Redoing the interior will release all that pent up asbestos.
    Don't worry, though. It can only add to the atmosphere .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there goes any charm it had. prices will soar if it happens
    Pesimist....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Take loooooooooots of before & after photos!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Redoing the interior will release all that pent up asbestos.
    From what I've been told there is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer

Images

Default Save room 23

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    and all your other worries should fade at the reopening party . and if they dont, and you still worry, come to cot 23 in the bunk room and well hang out and sneak a whisky.
    They should leave your room 23 untouched, that has to be part of the contract.

Panzer

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++