WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's just the internet. it ain't real life. entertainment only
    Agreed. Not really sure why you care at all about this LW. It aint like they're touching Dot's

Congrats to Pat and Vicki. I hope this ends up being what they want. They are great people and deserve this.

hikers are not the only ones to stay at thr doyle. their are five residents and the ocasional non hiker guests.as for starlite, she is right. and this is why i kiss her wonder cheeks and tell her how i love her and kevin . as far as wolf goes, he has nothing but love for all humans in a profound and wonderful way and wraped up in a big fuzzy beard with a drinkin hiker attatched. dont worry bout no body. all these folks will stay at the newly fixed up doyle and love it. and pat will cook the naysayers special for them . witch is a belly buster on the house. i dare you , no i double dare you to show me a larger peice of deep fryed cod on this my beloved if not codfish lacking trail of mine.furthermore while were on the subject of silly coffie rants, do any of you not realize what this means for some folks? simply the end to financial stress is a gift that i would wish for anyone. to be free to choose what to eat and when to rest and to walk in new shoes and be able to share with more than ever before .
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Agreed. Not really sure why you care at all about this LW. It aint like they're touching Dot's
    i could care less about it or dot's. just like to argue for poos and giggles. i liked the Doyle of the 80s

Images

Just to set the record straight. If anyone would read, and comprehend before starting to bash, in my first post I wished them well. I am well aware that this is a business venture, and will be good for the Doyle and it's owners, not to mention the town.

My subsequent posts were in response to Panzer's statement that they will do minimal renovation, new wiring, plumbing, a coat of paint and new flooring. That is NOT what this show does, if it was, there would be no show. Simple discussion, not expressing opposition to the remodel, just pointing out that when ABC is done with it, it will not be anywhere close to the Doyle that everyone now knows. I've seen it before, big money comes in, "restores" a historic business, completely changes the clientele. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

That's all I've said.

things about the doyle that are funny by matthewski

the space between the running water of the sink fawcetts, and the sink ,is 6 millimeters. witch is exactly the width of a toothbrush head.

the sign on the bath door seems to read,"use of bathroom by non guests of the doyle is concidered "theif" of services."

the height of the mens urinals in the baroom bathroom is really high.

curty

no human being of the modern era has ever walked out the 2nd floor door onto the porch and turned left.

rm23

pat keeps a private ping pong room on the second floor fully pimped out.

coffie can be brewed from the boiling sink water.

their is a young perigren falcon that hunts the pigieons above the doyles parking lot that never catches anything.

the pressed glass window in the stairwell in morning light when stood in front of and a picture is taken, refracts the light to distort everyone to a faceless alien gost.

billville meets there.
    matthewski

Images

also, the 2 floor door doesn't have a regular handle. It has some kind of other thing.

Panzer

okay enough panzer. thats not funney and your in florida on vacation with a sailboat. would you please go sailing. this not sailing is killing me. im about to come down their and show you how to funly sail in rough seas. now go. the stupid door has a bar for fire exit instead of a handle duh.sail!
    matthewski

I think there is too much signifigance being attached to the renovation of a single building.

I've seen entire blocks in towns similar to Duncannon "revitalized" with no result other than the contractors doing the work making money. I've seen this when they go historical or just flat out renovate.

There needs to be more than just a block or two...the town needs to have a draw...they've gotta have someting more to offer than a pretty facade.

I think that's Lone Wolf's point. Sure it would be great if this worked out for the town but I think reality is going to be entirely different.

I'm happy for anyone that gets a hand, especially in today's economy and I wish the folks at the doyle and the rest of duncanon nothng but thte best.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

I really hope that this happens. Pat and Vicki are awesome people and I look forward to stopping in there every time i am in the area. As far as the people that dont like the Doyle, don't go there! I think they do a great job and deserve to be recognized for it. Not every hotel/bar owners look forward to seeing hiker trash make themselves at home in their establishment let alone keep a running photo log of them. Good luck pat and Vicki!!!!!------------Brian
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    They do not tear down every structure and with the history of the Doyle I'm sure they would go the restoration route. As far as the Doyle not being worthy and those that say the money time and effort would be better spent a school or firehouse or church or VA hospital, yes, there will always be people in need and some more deserving of others but the logic here is saying if you are not going to help the blind homeless 1 legged orphan Christian Veterans, then there is no sense in helping anyone. To this I say helping someone, anyone, is better than helping no one and sitting around bad mouthing those that do. Prices going up? From what I have seen of the show, the labor and materials are all free, they always seem to pay off any mortgages, generally throw in a new car or truck (or shuttle van for hikers) and often throw in some cash too. After completion they will have a more efficient property that will save them a lot in energy costs too. Don't really see why prices should have to go up. Some peoples cups are 1/2 empty. Some peoples cups are 1/2 full. I say order a round at the Doyle and fill everyone's glass to the brim so theyzle stop bitchin'
    I never said they aren't worthy. They are in fact more worthy than any place in the town of Duncannon by at least 2,175 miles, my point was more along the lines of others who do not benefit feeling resentment. Certainly they aren't the most needy, though I don't necessarily consider neediness a good criteria.

Also, the simple fact that a "bunkroom" is being considered for hikers is a clear indication that room prices are going up.

Images

When I head of it I began to think of the great Sheridan Inn in Sheridan Wyoming which was once run by none other than Buffalo Bill. He ran auditions for his Wild West Show on the street in front. Feel free to check it out http://www.sheridaninn.com/ It was designed so that even from the 3rd floor you could slide down the shake roof to the roof of the porch in case of a fire.

I agree that the town needs to have some pull as well for it to become the whistle stop that it once was. But where will you start with the revitalization of a town? The first intersection? The east side or west side? Why not a historic old hotel which once was a draw for the town.

I hope that they get it and I hope that they try and keep as much of a historic flavor to the place minus the threat of electric shock. We had a lot of fun standing up on the 3rd floor under the center stairs windows and the falling down plaster talking about all the things that they could do. I hope that it works out for them.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

All true. If it was my place I'd want it improved. I'm heartened by the fact that they seem to be angling for the renovate route rather than just leveling it. By the way, I happened to pass a near exact replica of the doyle (in far worse shape) in a place called Whitney point, where rt 79 and I-81 intersect near Binghampton NY...Just driving by and went "huh?" Stopped but the place was empty and boarded up. Spare parts?

Has this project been signed off on and approved or is the Doyle just one of several properties under consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    I think there is too much signifigance being attached to the renovation of a single building.

I've seen entire blocks in towns similar to Duncannon "revitalized" with no result other than the contractors doing the work making money. I've seen this when they go historical or just flat out renovate.

There needs to be more than just a block or two...the town needs to have a draw...they've gotta have someting more to offer than a pretty facade.

I think that's Lone Wolf's point. Sure it would be great if this worked out for the town but I think reality is going to be entirely different.

I'm happy for anyone that gets a hand, especially in today's economy and I wish the folks at the doyle and the rest of duncanon nothng but thte best.
    I think it's more like the emotional attachment to the place, like someone might feel when their childhood home gets torn down...maybe shabby, and replaced with something far better, but you still have a little tear in your eye to see it go. The town wont change a bit. It's Duncannon. There is no passage of time. It's like a Bowery-Brigadoon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Has this project been signed off on and approved or is the Doyle just one of several properties under consideration?
    As of last weekend the Doyle had not yet submitted their 20 page application to the show. It will take them some time to go thru this.

As far as how many other properties are under consideration, we don't know, we have to assume that there are others as well.

Panzer

my beloved dude and panzer you are both beautifgul. the 24 page application and 18 pp building report were turned in monday after marathon coffie drinkinking and head scratching by both pat and his beautiful wife .also, the doyal is one of 10 and in the top 3 and has the pole position as long as they dont find any problems. this is insider info and i cant reveal anything but bacon.network executives dont make mistakes when it comes to witch buiolding is crappyer. ours is. so if any of you find out who the netwerk is looking at other than the doyle, go fix there roof! lol.
    matthewski

Images

Default Save Room 23

If they do eventually tear down the Doyle, I think they should first chain saw room 23 out intact an lower it onto a flat bed trailer and move it to a safe location while the hotel is torn down. Then as they rebuild the new hotel they should re-incorporate the original and untouched room 23 back into the new structure.

Panzer
    ps I came up with this idea after my 3rd beer.

OK. Let's everyone remember that this is in the proposal stage. There's no guarantee that anything at all will happen. This is all very much in the beginning stages, and it's entirely possible that ABC will choose another building. Getting all excited right now would be akin to sending a video of yourself in to Survivor and immediately quitting your job and telling everyone to watch for you on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    agree. hikers aren't in need. i'm bettin' the hollywood folks are gonna choose a more needy cause
    This has less to do with hikers and more to do with Pat & Vickey.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    There are plans to keep prices down for hikers by having some kind of bunk room for hikers.
    There are no plans whatsoever right now for what the building might become.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Yeah, with so many families with hardships these days, I'm sure Extreme Home Makeover sponsors are just dying to fund the makeover of a "for profit" business. Would be a funny charity slant, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.
    Not sure what "shills" were enlisted by the Doyle owners. As far as I'm aware (and I'm slightly more aware than some), this wasn't their idea, and they didn't enlist anyone at all. And as far as I'm aware, it's a makeover of a historic building that houses a business, not to mention four permanent residents. So if you really need it to be someone's home, well, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    Does anyone besides hikers stay at the doyle? When I was there in '99 and paid the crackhead my 10 dollars for a key to the padlock on the door, it didnt seem like anyone in their right mind, and with a car would stay there. Maybe things have changed, but I find it intertesting/ironic that the hikers that seem to be keeping the place in business and are now being recruited to write letters to win the "campaign" are now being herded into single sex bunkrooms. All for the greater good/owners pocketbook I guess.
    1) Yes.
    2) I find it "intertesting" that a request by Matty is interpreted as recruitment by the owners, and that a plan regarding bunkrooms mentioned by hikers here is interpreted as a finalized plan. I also find it intertesting that some think that the "greater good" and the "owners' pocketbook" have to necessarily be viewed as mutually exclusive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    Can someone, Pebble, or mwienstone, just tell me if anyone besides hikers currently stay at the Doyle?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    One of several. As noted, this is very much in the beginning stages.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++