Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Spot/DeLorme data?

    I'm working on a project, trying to correlate walking speed with USGS terrain classification. I was hoping/wondering if anyone who has hiked substantial sections might have any Spot or DeLorme data from their hike (s).

    If so, PM me.

  2. #2

    Default

    Project sounds interesting, just be aware that the tracking intervals on these devices can be pretty large and lead to pretty low resolution track logs. They tend to be good as far as location accuracy, but you'd need to evaluate the track log resolution and terrain variability and determine if the track log data resolution is high enough to allow you to draw any meaningful conclusions.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    They tend to be good as far as location accuracy, but you'd need to evaluate the track log resolution and terrain variability and determine if the track log data resolution is high enough to allow you to draw any meaningful conclusions.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Mainly this is a warm-up exercise to do something with finer time resolution. I'm also trying to correlate data with terrain classification. It's probably a no-brainer, but people slow down in the Whites and the Mahoosucs relative to, say, Virginia. There are terrain classification data that I am trying to use. As I said, this is more of a warm-up - if I do find something significant that's valid, I'll certainly share it.

  4. #4
    Registered User PAFranklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-15-2015
    Location
    Bucks, PA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Temperature, weather, and altitude are also factors. At times significant. Are you accounting for those?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAFranklin View Post
    Temperature, weather, and altitude are also factors. At times significant. Are you accounting for those?
    Actually those are things I'll be looking at.

  6. #6
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Start with KML uploaded on Google Earth... The KML is on the ATC website. I am not sure how Spot data would be helpful.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Start with KML uploaded on Google Earth... The KML is on the ATC website. I am not sure how Spot data would be helpful.
    He's looking for walking speed data to correlate with terrain. The ATC KMLs aren't useful for that purpose in that they show only the route. OP needs tracklogs from hikes to determine how quickly that hiker traversed a particular route.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Start with KML uploaded on Google Earth... The KML is on the ATC website. I am not sure how Spot data would be helpful.
    Ignorant comment. WOO, you obviously don't understand what OP is trying to do.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •