WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Yeah, geez, I've my sentimental attachment to the Doyle and everything but mr. chief needs to lighten up...have you ever been to the doyle dude?
    Sure have. Thanks for asking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Then you need to go back look around and lighten the F up. No one is try to do a scam if you can't appreciate the fact that others who care for the owners like the owners care for the hiker want to try and help out in this great opportunity then I feel sorry for you. If you really don't care then unsubscribe from the thread and focus on something else. I say good day sir!
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm totally trying to do a scam. It just doesn't have anything to do with this.

With all your awareness, maybe you're the main huckster?
    Jester, actually. The main Jester. Why on earth would you ascribe "awareness" to the main huckster anyway? Have you already forgotten how dim witted [sic] they are?:

. . . Who knows, maybe their viewers are dim witted enough to buy it. Kinda like the shills the Doyle owners enlisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
    So I guess it is not old enough to have listed as a historical structure? That helps to preserve looks of buildings.
    Older than 50 years is usually the criteria, so it would be fine there. But it's my understanding that getting such a designation does limit what you can do with the building.

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    So the hysterical society reference has always stuck with me. You know me L.W. I step to the front of the line any time.
    Even without the explanation you were right. It is hysterical.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

no historical or building codes in dunncannon
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Then you need to go back look around and lighten the F up. No one is try to do a scam if you can't appreciate the fact that others who care for the owners like the owners care for the hiker want to try and help out in this great opportunity then I feel sorry for you. If you really don't care then unsubscribe from the thread and focus on something else. I say good day sir!
    Feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Jester, actually. The main Jester. Why on earth would you ascribe "awareness" to the main huckster anyway? Have you already forgotten how dim witted [sic] they are?:
    An occasional flicker of light is not unheard of.

An occasional flicker of light is not unheard of.
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm one of the happiest guys I know.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    no historical or building codes in dunncannon

Effective December 31, 2009, the State of Pennsylvania adopted the 2009 I-Codes, to be enforced statewide. (The family of I-Codes includes codes for building, energy, fire, mechanical, plumbing, etc.)

All municipalities must provide enforcement of the Codes. They may do so with their own code enforcement personnel, or they may contract with a State certified, third-party agency.

Duncannon has contracted with a third-party agency; Glace Associates Inc., Camp Hill, PA. For more information, you can contact David Matfaka at 717-731-1579

A renovation/restoration of the Doyle Hotel, particularly if televised nationally, will draw a lot of attention. ABC (and it's parent company, Disney) will not risk the liability of non-compliance with the Codes. They have too much to lose.

The cost of bringing the Doyle Hotel into code compliance would be staggering. When one considers things such as sprinkler systems, elevators, lead and asbestos abatement, ADA requirements, etc, ... well, it's enough to make Walt Disney roll-over in his freezer.
    Roland

Wow, well there goes the benefit of the doubt I was giving you....

If ignorance is bliss, I'm one of the happiest guys I know.
    As for you, at least you know that you know nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Wow, well there goes the benefit of the doubt I was giving you....
    In that case, I withdraw the thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The cost of bringing the Doyle Hotel into code compliance would be staggering. When one considers things such as sprinkler systems, elevators, lead and asbestos abatement, ADA requirements, etc, ... well, it's enough to make Walt Disney roll-over in his freezer.
    There is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Effective December 31, 2009, the State of Pennsylvania adopted the 2009 I-Codes, to be enforced statewide. (The family of I-Codes includes codes for building, energy, fire, mechanical, plumbing, etc.)

All municipalities must provide enforcement of the Codes. They may do so with their own code enforcement personnel, or they may contract with a State certified, third-party agency.

Duncannon has contracted with a third-party agency; Glace Associates Inc., Camp Hill, PA. For more information, you can contact David Matfaka at 717-731-1579

A renovation/restoration of the Doyle Hotel, particularly if televised nationally, will draw a lot of attention. ABC (and it's parent company, Disney) will not risk the liability of non-compliance with the Codes. They have too much to lose.

You don't bring a building into code compliance. You comply with the codes when building. The I-Codes are construction codes. The newest version was adopted in 2009. Before that there were the 2006 codes. Before that it was the 2003 codes. It's not like PA hasn't had construction codes before 2009.

In addition, municipalities that opt out and have qualified third party enforcement do so only for residential construction. The state L&I is still in charge of all commercial construction. Glace Associates shouldn't have anything to do with construction on the Doyle.

There won't be any massive additional costs because of what the building currently possesses. Complying with building codes is required regardless of the original condition of the building, or even if you're constructing one from scratch.

Finally, ADA has nothing whatsoever to do with State building codes. ADAAG is Federal in nature, and technical infeasibility would probably cover much of what would be considered expensive fixes in The Doyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    There is no asbestos at the Doyle.

Panzer
    I have no idea regarding that. One thing I can say is that it doesn't have any elevators.

Anything to improve the trail and the experiences one can have on it is beneficial to all. I know at times the show has paid the remaining part of the mortgages; however, the taxes from this 'gift' can be enormous and very stressful.

You don't bring a building into code compliance. You comply with the codes when building. ~
    Yes, you comply with current codes when building. From that point forward, the structure is grandfathered, until the building is renovated or there is a change in use. Then the building must be brought into compliance with current codes.

~ The newest version was adopted in 2009. Before that there were the 2006 codes. Before that it was the 2003 codes. It's not like PA hasn't had construction codes before 2009.
    ~
    Of course PA has had code enforcement in the past (despite Matthewski's, assertion that there were no codes in Duncannon). I wasn't giving a history of code enforcement in PA; just the current codes, which are the I-Codes.

~
    In addition, municipalities that opt out and have qualified third party enforcement do so only for residential construction. The state L&I is still in charge of all commercial construction. Glace Associates shouldn't have anything to do with construction on the Doyle.
    ~
    Duncannon did not opt-out. They opted-in. Glace Associates Inc has been contracted to provide code enforcement services to the municipality; residential and commercial.

~
    There won't be any massive additional costs because of what the building currently possesses. ~
    Unless the building currently contains asbestos and lead. Abatement costs can be exorbitant.

~
    Finally, ADA has nothing whatsoever to do with State building codes. ADAAG is Federal in nature, and technical infeasibility would probably cover much of what would be considered expensive fixes in The Doyle. ~
    Wrong, all "places of public accommodation" must comply with ADA regulations.
    Roland

In that case, I withdraw the thanks.
    Oh, I had taken it as sarcasm in the first place. And while I know this isn't the proper thread* for it, but for the sake of argument, may I ask what it is you dislike so much about the place, or why you are so negative about the proprietors?

*(shameless attempt to shill for jester's argument thread)

if codes of any kind were being enforced in duncannon other than health inspections and school and fire and municipal bldgs, the doyle would never have been allowed to operate. it stands as a testiment to the level of code enforcement in the town. also, i point out these real and present dangers that have existed in duncannon since i was a child and assert that if money had ever been available, these existing dangers would be of first concern:

walking to the mautzaballs supermarket is not possible due to no sidewalk or shoulder.

the subway floods regularly and people routenly attempt to cross the tracks to save the long deture.

the exit /on ramps are dangerous as they are shared and cross traffic

the hikers crossing the clarks ferry bridge have a dangerouse crossing .
    matthewski

and then theirs trail angel mary and baltimore jack tarlins baconatore witch by law are concidered leathal foods.
    matthewski

Matty,

If you think that a high-profile job like the nationally televised renovation of the Doyle Hotel will be exempt from current Codes, you've eaten too many of those bacon-ators!

But don't take my word for it. Call the code enforcement officer. I posted the number, above.
    Roland

examples of laws in use, by matthewski:

it is forbidden to ride atv's in the streets of philadelphia
    each summers day packs of a dozen atv's roam the streets of south philly
    police are under orders not to chase or apprehend for safty sake

murder is illegal. oj is a free man.
    matthewski

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++