WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Rocky Mnt. hike partner

Just wondering if there's anyone out there living in or near the Boulder, Co area who would be interested in hiking the Rockies on the week end of Oct. 29th & 30?
    aesop
    "Good night, Mary Ellen."

Default maybe

What did you have in mind?

American Idiot
    Images

Mags lives in the Republic of Boulder.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

I would be down for knocking off a few 14ers. Keep in touch.
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Images

I'm pretty open. I'm attending a conference from the 25th to the 28th and I'm leaving on the 31st, so I'd have Friday and Saturday for day hikes or an overnight. Not used to cold weather overnight hiking and I guess it could be snowy the end of October. But, this is a once in a lifetime chance for me to hike the Rockies (yes, I know that sounds pitiful). Anyway, I can keep my motel room, or if someone was willing to put up with me for two days (I'd pay my way) we could leave out from your house each morning.
    aesop

American Idiot
    Images

Boulder has some nice trails on the front range. Up by the NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research, I think) building there are some hiking trails. But I'm guessing this will be in late season so you'll probably be on light snow? If you'll have a car, Hanging Lake is a short hike to a nice 'lake' near Glenwood Springs, about a three hour drive. Glenwood Springs has a natural hot springs which feeds an Olympic sized pool as well as two other heating pools with increasing temperatures and they stay open till 9pm or so... very nice, especially when it's cold out. About 40 miles from Glenwood is Aspen and there's a nice area called Maroon Bells you could check out. Plus on the drive out to Glenwood, you'll drive over two mountain passes and see a good chunk of the Rockies as well as Glenwood Canyon. It'd be nice if Independence Pass was still open, but I think it'll be too late in the season. If you do head out there, I think it's the exit just after the Vail Ski Resort exit that is the the town(?) of Beaver. Get your picture in front of their liquor store, Beaver Liquors. There's the Fulford Caves near Eagle (along the way to Glenwood) which are fun to climb around, just bring a backup light other than a chemical light stick...

You could also head to Buena Vista. It's a small town set in the middle of the Collegiate Peaks at around 8,000 ft elevation. It is in a 'banana belt' and as such, has milder weather than areas around it. The drive to Buena would take you over Kenosha Pass if you took 285 or through the heart of the Rockies on I-70, getting off at the Copper Mountain Exit and taking the back way. Kenosha Pass is really beautiful in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors, but again, it'll probably be too late in the season. Near Buena is the Princeton Hot Springs which has a hot springs pool as well, but not as nice as Glenwoood's. About 50 miles from Buena is the Royal Gorge, sort of a touristy area. Basically a bridge a thousand or so feet up from the river below. Two months before or after your trip would've been a neat way to go to Gunnison from Buena, over Cottonwood Pass. I forget the name of it, but there's a ski area you get to through Gunnison that has always offered free skiing for the first month of it's operation each season. The reason it's free is because it's a five or so hour drive from Denver and most sane people will spend the night there or in Gunnison. Except for the cheap college students who have also discovered the 'short' tour of Coors Brewery in Golden (which is about 20 miles south of Boulder). Free tour and free beers...

Tons to do, good luck.

Thumbs up Boulder

The people's republic has some of the best dau hikes in the Front Range, Hell the country for that matter...

Check out www.osmp.org for info

I suggest the local "Triple Peak Challenge", start from the Chautaqua Ranger, Cottage 9th and Baseline on the bus route, Summit Green, Bear and South Boulder Peaks, a total of 1200' of elevation gain (up and down) in 12 miles.

American Idiot
    Images

I like bagheera's plan. Keep it simple, you'll be in Boulder anyhow. I've been up Green in probably the same conditions you'll face and it's a nice hike. Though the elevation reference sounds like a sandbag... pay attention to what's in the parentheses Then hook up afterwards with bagheera and Mags at the Walnut Brewery to exchange AT and WB tales

Images

Default 14er?

Quote Originally Posted by hustler
    I would be down for knocking off a few 14ers. Keep in touch.
    by the way, what's a 14er?
    aesop

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop
    by the way, what's a 14er?
    Mountain peaks over 14,000 feet up. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    I like bagheera's plan. Keep it simple, you'll be in Boulder anyhow. I've been up Green in probably the same conditions you'll face and it's a nice hike. Though the elevation reference sounds like a sandbag... pay attention to what's in the parentheses Then hook up afterwards with bagheera and Mags at the Walnut Brewery to exchange AT and WB tales
    Thanks hustler, Pencil Pusher,food, bagheera for the great suggestions.

PP. I guess I'm slow. I don't see anything special in between the parenthesis but I really want to. wb sounds divine--I'll check to see if they are open at night.
    Bagheera. I signed up for list serve on osmp. I guess the people's republic is the whole of colorado, not a particular place in it?
    Food. I think I'll camp maybe in Estes Park or somewhere around there, then drive out in the mornings to trailheads.
    Would be nice to hike with a fellow white blazer.
    thanks again for the help.
    aesop

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    Mountain peaks over 14,000 feet up. Sue/HH
    goodness! That would be a first for me. All I know is you have to get acclimated to the elevation change as you climb. Actually, it sounds like something that needs to be done seeing as how I've never done it.
    aesop

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default People's Republic

Just noticed this thread. Yep..I live in good ole Boulder, CO..aka the People's Republic.

It is not really a place per se, just a nick name for what (can be) Boulder's sometimes too liberal "politically correct" policies. This is the same town that declared that you are NOT a pet owner..but a "Pet Guardian"...the same place where it is a pressnig, nay utterly important issue if hanging um, er, "anatomically correct adult toys" display in the library is art or not...and then a person steals this display and calls himself the "Anatomically correct adult toys" Bandito. To quote Dave Barry "I swear, I am not making this up".

But, I love this town despite all the quirks.

Having said that, hiking the local trails is an excellent idea! You can purchase a local trail map for $10 and explore away. NCAR is perhaps my favorite trail system in the Open Space system. You can hike up Bear Mountain, go down the West Ridge Trail and see the snow covered Continental Divide. Bear Mountain gets fair amount of use, but the West Ridge trails get less use. It is fairly isolated considering you are not far from town! It is by far my favorite local hike. It is a 7 mile loop total.

If you are coming from sea level, you will not want to do a 14er. And to be honest, late October may not be the best time to do a hike in the high country, esp. if you are not used to hiking at elevation.

There are few of us Whiteblazers in the People's Republic. Definitely have to grab a beer somewhere! Another advantage to NCAR is that at the base of it (more or less) it has two keys things in Boulder for me: my favorite coffee shop for pre-hike caffeine (Caffe' Sole) and my favorite brewpub for AFTER the hike (Southern Sun with YUMMY java porter).

If you want more info, let me know. I have no plans during the day that weekend, so would love to join you (and other Boulderites) for a hike.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Estes Park

Just realized you said you wanted to camp in Estes. Well... right next to the town is Rocky Mtn National Park. A little camping there.

Do you have an idea how many miles R/T (and elev gain) you would be comfortable with? I also know a ton of hikes in that park as well. Deer Mtn is a favorite of mine in the park and is a great hike for in-shape people coming from outside Colorado.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/co/trail_497.php

You top out at just over 10k feet, can see great views of the Mummy Range and Longs Peak (the 2nd most famous "14er" in CO, Pike's Peak being the first) and makes a great leisurely hike.

Naturally, I also know of a decent brew pub in Estes, too.

Other hikes avail as well depending upon what and how much you want to do...

American Idiot
    Images

Bagheera's elevation gain is net (not gross). So basically if you go up 3000ft, down 3000ft, up 4200ft and then down 3000ft, you'll come up with his 1200 foot elevation gain (up and down).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    There are few of us Whiteblazers in the People's Republic. Definitely have to grab a beer somewhere! Another advantage to NCAR is that at the base of it (more or less) it has two keys things in Boulder for me: my favorite coffee shop for pre-hike caffeine (Caffe' Sole) and my favorite brewpub for AFTER the hike (Southern Sun with YUMMY java porter).

If you want more info, let me know. I have no plans during the day that weekend, so would love to join you (and other Boulderites) for a hike.
    That...sounds great! Can't find Deer and Bear Mountains on the map. I must be blind. Is it possible to do Deer Mountain on Friday and Bear Mountain on Saturday, or is that too much? Maybe play it by ear.
    Anyway, how far away is the Continental Divide to drive from Boulder, and what would the hikes there be like? I hear it is much like wilderness. Although, I am ok with looking at it from West Ridge Trail.
    Really appreciate the suggestions. Especially about the elevation part. I visited the Rockies when I was 15 years old so this will be a reunion of sorts. I was hitchhiking then...back in the day when that kind of thing was more acceptable. Except, they wouldn't let me drink brewski then. Now, I'm a pale aler.
    aesop

Default ideas

Aesop,

You have gotten a lot of good advice.

Peoples Republic of Boulder - Colorado is a red state. Denver and Boulder are blue islands. Mags explained it well. Boulder is very new age, but also a wonderful place to live.

During your conference you can do some shopping:
    Neptune Mountaineering
    Mont-Bell
    the North Face

The Arkansas River valley is in a rain shadow and probably will be good hiking. The Mt. Elbert/Massive trailhead near Leadville is on both the Colorado Trail and the CDT. You can log some CT and CDT miles even if you do not summit.

The Peak to Peak highway from Blackhawk to Estes Park has a lot of good hiking. Twin Sisters should be added to the list. The area is wetter and windier than the Arkansas valley.

The weather could be hard winter or gorgeous Indian summer. That time is “mud season.” - too cold to camp - not enough snow to ski.

I would be interested in an overnight hike, but not if I have to carry a bag that goes lower than 20 degrees. If the weather is not good, I think you would have more fun on an auto tour and day hiking. Don’t get your hopes up - I got about 3" of snow at Red Deer Lake in Indian Peaks on Labor Day weekend.

Really good weather - south loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness. Hike to Devils Thumb Lake then up to the Divide and along the CDT for a ways, then down by King Lake, then go over the saddle by Betty and Bob Lake and bushwhack down to Skyscraper and Woodland Lake, then complete the loop.

Good weather - Rolling Creek, Wigwam, Colorado Trail loop in Lost Creek Wilderness.

Ok weather - Goose Creek to the shaft house in Lost Creek Wilderness.

Is the little breakfast restaraunt called MOTHERS still located on the Hill? I believe the owners name was Roscoe.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

:banana 5 square miles surrounded by reality...

Boulder is absolutely an oasis of weirdness, no other place like it.

I strongly discourage attempting 14er's (although Long's Peak is awesome). There has been a good deal of snow in the high country lately and coming from sea-level to 14,000 ft is asking for trouble.

Certainly if you have the time a drive into Rocky MTN Nat'l Park is a must, there are many short hikes there. If you are camping be prepared for the cold (night time temps there are likely to be in the low 30's).

If Boulder is still on your list here is a link to the best section of trail owned by OSMP
    http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/openspace/gis/swtrmap.htm

The NCAR area thatwas mentioned earlier is on this map.

Neat fact.. if you were to begin flying at eye level from the NCAR mesa you would not hit land again until Greece, (so much for the mighty Appalachians )

++ New Posts ++