WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Approach Trail/No Approach trail?

Hey all, I'm starting my thru hike NOBO on the 11th, and I've got a quick question about the forest route 11 that skips the approach trail..

I've got 2 + friends seeing me off from Springer, and I don't know if there's parking from the forest road for them to park their car.

Can anyone tell me if there is? Or should I hit the approach trail with them so the can park?

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LordFouis View Post
    Hey all, I'm starting my thru hike NOBO on the 11th, and I've got a quick question about the forest route 11 that skips the approach trail..

I've got 2 + friends seeing me off from Springer, and I don't know if there's parking from the forest road for them to park their car.

Can anyone tell me if there is? Or should I hit the approach trail with them so the can park?

Thanks!
    There is a parking lot at FS 42 3/4 mile North of Springer. The Trail goes right through it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Of all the hikers I've met over the past few days on the trail, not one had a positive story about the approach.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Park in the lot at the FS 42, hike up to the top of Springer and make your photo with the monument there, and then begin your hike by heading through the parking lot and toward the Stover shelter. The approach trail is a killer and is, after all an approach trail, not THE trail. ; - )

Images

Someone said, "If you can make it to Springer on the approach trail, you should have no problem making it to Maine."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    ... The approach trail is a killer and is, after all an approach trail, not THE trail. ; - )
    BS, Except for the steps going up the fall, The Approach Trail is very much like the rest of the AT in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by drdewrag View Post
    Someone said, "If you can make it to Springer on the approach trail, you should have no problem making it to Maine."
    That someone is FOS. Once you reach Springer you have 8 miles behind you with 2175 in front of you. There are many problems getting from Springer to Maine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Of all the hikers I've met over the past few days on the trail, not one had a positive story about the approach.
    You didn't meet me. I like the Approach trail.

Images

The Approach Trail used to be part of the AT when it started at Mt. Oglethorpe. Now it's just one of two ways to "approach" Springer to start your thru hike. If those 8 miles seem daunting to you, I wonder what the 2,000 miles in front of you seem like? If you start from the FS road and hike back to Springer, well that'd be your "approach" too. It's all good.

It's a personal choice that should hold no judgement on anyone if they do or don't hike it. Personally, I"m heading up the Approach Trail to start my thru this coming Tuesday, the 9th. It's not the only side trail I plan on exploring during my thru. This is MY hike. Keep in mind this trail was imagined as a way to preserve the wilderness for folks to escape to and enjoy. The Approach Trail is just another one of those wilderness areas to enjoy.

Hike it, don't hike it. Who cares but you? This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard over the years concerning a thru hike.

Images

Me, I liked the Approach Trail. Hiked it in both directions (on different hikes, natch.)

If you are thru-hiking, consider the emotional impact of seeing the First White Blaze on Springer after hiking up to it, rather than after hiking half a mile of white blazes in the, er, wrong direction. Just something to think about. It's a personal choice and you only have to justify it to yourself.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Future statistics.

I've been to Springer once. That time I parked at FS 43 and hiked south. I've never been to Amicalola Falls so this time, I'm taking the Approach. My wife and I are planning to spend a little time at the Park there before I head up the stairs to the Falls and beyond. I'm thinking it will be a nice half day of hiking just relishing the fact I'll be starting the AT the next morning.

I am stoked !!

QP
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taking a walk......

http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hiked the mile back to the terminus and then backtracked. You'll see plenty of white blazes before you're done.

Having said that, after I finish hiking the trail this summer I'll probably go back and hike the approach trail - just because - so if you do it now you won't ever have to deal with having it in the back of your head.

Whatever floats your boat.

I loved the approach trail - but then again I love hiking. The approach trail gives you time to ease into your adventure so that by the time you're actually standing on the top of Springer you will have had the opportunity to contemplate the beauty/insanity of what you are about to undertake. Besides, its a very pretty walk and theoretically at least, you are out for the next five months because you love walking.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Really the only thing to see on the approach trail is Amicalola Falls.

You want your friends with you atop Springer and they don't wish to hike 8 miles and back to do it? Yes there is parking at that forest road. They can do the .9 tag with you.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hmm, I'm on the fence here.

At first I thought I would skip it, but I might never get back down there again, so it would be nice to see that park.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmmm! Too.

If you hike the approach trail from the bottom of the falls by the visitor center check in, rather than picking it up at the top near the lodge, it's probably one of the toughest sections of the trail in GA. Lots of steps.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    You want your friends with you atop Springer and they don't wish to hike 8 miles and back to do it? Yes there is parking at that forest road. They can do the .9 tag with you.
    My friends are at home. The folks at the Hiker Hostel who are dropping me off have seen it already. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    You didn't meet me. I like the Approach trail.
    I also like the approach trail. It's that much more time spent hiking, the views along the falls are great, and it makes falling asleep that first night out on the trip that much easier. If I ever hike the AT again, I'll do the approach trail again... 8 more miles is nothing in the grand scheme of the whole trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Me, I liked the Approach Trail. Hiked it in both directions (on different hikes, natch.)

If you are thru-hiking, consider the emotional impact of seeing the First White Blaze on Springer after hiking up to it, rather than after hiking half a mile of white blazes in the, er, wrong direction. Just something to think about. It's a personal choice and you only have to justify it to yourself.
    Also have to agree with BC here about the feeling of seeing that first white blaze after hiking all day to get there. That exhaustion combined with pure joy was a hell of a feeling.

Really, either hiking it/not hiking it will have no impact on your overall hike, but personally I was a fan of it when I did it. There was something about that slow hike away from "civilization" that I really liked, as opposed to just walking a few minutes and being at the start. And also, 8 more miles in the woods is always a plus in my book.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++