WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

gorp, dried fruit, beef jerky, rhubarb fruit rollups, Snickers bars...

Awesome LA Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Here's a link to one of my hummus recipes for those who want to try it out...

http://backpackerrecipes.wordpress.c...trail-lunches/

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Another Fork in the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Here's a link to one of my hummus recipes for those who want to try it out...

http://backpackerrecipes.wordpress.c...trail-lunches/
    Great recipe!

How close are you to the release of your new book, "Another Fork in the Trail"?

I recently went vegan for my dining choices, and I am looking forward to this release. I definitely attempt organic where possible. I enjoy Mary Janes Farm selections, but they are some what limited in the amount of selection choices. I'm hoping yours will offer more options.

Looking forward to the new release; keep up the great work.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I was pretty happy with my "fruit to goes" which are like fruit chews. Also lemon powder and water, or snow. But these thinks are pure sugar, which is ok as long as they don't make up too much of your daily calories. I think also they should at least provided 100% of your vitamin C. The lemon powder I found did, but I am nit sure about the fruit leather. Plain dried fruit might better. Ideally sun dried, I guess, so as not to destroy the vitamin C and anti-oxidants. I dry blueberries in my convection oven, but the minimal 170F really dries the living snot out of them. Need to try something different. I think the natives here use to smear blueberries on birch bark, then sun dry them.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    Great recipe!

How close are you to the release of your new book, "Another Fork in the Trail"?

I recently went vegan for my dining choices, and I am looking forward to this release. I definitely attempt organic where possible. I enjoy Mary Janes Farm selections, but they are some what limited in the amount of selection choices. I'm hoping yours will offer more options.

Looking forward to the new release; keep up the great work.
    Thanks....

Send me a pm and I will sneak you a few recipes if you like. I'm also going to post one or two here at some point.

About the book. The release has been delayed until 2011 (early in the year). The manuscript is basically complete, all the recipes tested and such but we need to go through the edit stage. I'm going to be a little slower at that because, well, I'm expecting in early June. This kind of blind-sided me because we tried for 18 years and during that time we adopted a little boy... it's a great reason for a delay but I was still a bit disappointed that it's not going to be on shelves this spring. C'est la vie

LaurieAnn -- Congrats. Maybe the next book after that can be one of recipies of hiking foods that would appeal to children.

As for the OP's question: breakfast cereal, in the dry form snacked on and often mixed in with other trail food...eg raisins, Cheerios, & m&ms
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I don't like a heavy or complicated lunch on the trail, so I go for easy carbs:

Granola
    Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
    Dried apricots
    Mini pretzels
    Smartfood chedder popcorn
    Keebler chedder sandwich crackers
    Clif bar
    1/2 little debbie fudge brownie

I put it all in a ziplock (save the clif bar) and it's lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Smartfood chedder popcorn
    I am a former addict of Smartfood
    My appetite is very low midday and need to figure out light snacks. Man I ate heavy on a hard stretch before and I was obsolutely miserable

no one ever used a jumbo rice crispy treat it weighs less than snikers and holds the same amount of calories i made a bunch of homemade ones for my hike used all sorts of nuts cashew butter and cereal when i made them. but the ones at the store work fine dnt weigh nothn

2010 complete

would a hard boiled egg be considered a snack, or lunch?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    It would be considered a snack...unless of course you ate it for lunch.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

It would be considered lunch; unless you ate it for a snack.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast the first few days out...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    It would be considered a snack...unless of course you ate it for lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    It would be considered lunch; unless you ate it for a snack.
    I don't really consider lunch an event, but a process.

For me lunch begins immediately after I finish the breakfast dishes and continues until I start cooking dinner.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    HELP! OK I have searched. But I would like to know, what are your favorite LIGHT WEIGHT(I'm a gram weenie) snacks or lunches midday on the trail?

I personally like:

Slim Jim and Cheese stick 1.5oz
    Banana Chips and freeze dried strawberries
    Peanut M&Ms
    Jelly Belly Sport Beans w & w/o caffeine

I need help with new ideas on what to carry to just get me by until I hit camp and have dinner. What do you carry?
    Any replies appreciated.

Also I am sooooo tired of eating GORP!
    your snacks sound good to me.
    i do like peanut M&M's
    buzz

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dicentra View Post
    Dried mangos and dark chocolate. Every trip. Every time.

I also like corn nuts, soy nuts, California Crunchies (flavored almonds), various trail bars, shelf stable cheese, salami, crackers... Basically anything that sounds good. I like a big variety.
    I was going to say dried mangoes dipped in dark chocolate... is that what you meant? i've only found them once -- dipped about half way... loved em.
    Lazarus

Big Sur bars. I get them at Mountain Crossing since I live in the area, but you can mail order them too (I have) and Felicity says there is another outfitter store up near Virginia that carries them. Not only are they reaaallly good, they pack over 600 calories per bar. I go for fuel density with trail food, and never understood the Ramen thing, there's just no substance to them. I also like Clif Bars, I get boxes of the mini ones at WalMart to stave off the hungries during the day at work. They come three flavors in a box, and each bar is 100 calories.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

We often dip things like dried fruit (mangoes, blueberries, cherries, apricots, pears, etc.) in dark chocolate. Another yummy snack is candied stem ginger dipped in dark choc. Yum.

yeah yeah yeah whatever. i was once such a freaky snacking hiker dude i wore a ragg wool balancalva backwards and upsidedown on my neck sort of like a resque dog. even in hot weather.in the "pouch", i had an 8 oz nalge with water, a bag o miso with a cornner cut off and a sandwitch bag of peanuts. without stopping, and at a conciderable pace, i would mix a squeeze of brown rice miso into the water and drink it down with spirrulinna pills and whole food vitimins chased by peanuts. then i would be so pumped on b vitimins everything kinda glowed extra green.
    matthewski

Rice Krispy treats, yum!

Anyone carry the Payday candy bars? I was thinking of carrying some on my next hike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++