WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Ignored by ALDHA

Wanting to improve the accuracy of the info in the ALDHA Companion, I e-mailed them in early November re their entry on the Ten Mile River shelter in CT. They say the water source, hand pump, is 0.2 miles north of the shelter.

It's actually 100 feet south and west (to the left as you're facing the front of the shelter).

This detail is important because 0.2 north is on the other side of Ten Mile River.

Unfortunately, the 2010 Companion retains the incorrect information.

They also still list the GCT-Pawling/AT Stop commuter train fare as $11.00/$15.25 off-peak/peak when it's been $13.00/$17.25 since March 2009.

Images

It's difficult to be diplomatic at times given the manner in which people here sometimes post.

sometimes people get confused with north and south, i m not familiar with the area you are talking about but, in the books north is trail north not compass north. so east is always to the right when you are going north on the trail and west is always to the left, even if you are going in a southely direction on the trail, if you are hiking to maine, you are considered to be going north in the books.
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

Weird but understandable. Many cities work this way: the grid is a little skew, but everyone understands that North and South are not true or magnetic directions: they are grid directions. However, on a trail or where the city grid changes or perhaps isn't rectilinear, this can get confusing fast.

I guess that data book writers want to avoid getting hikers turned around when the trail is momentarily inverted; in the wrong direction. But when hikers check their navigation by sun or other fixed references, they have to keep that in mind. Perhaps most hikers just follow the white highway, without checking at all.

The information may not necessarily have been ignored. you stated that you gave them this info in November. That may have been too late to make this years publication date. Changes in information needs to be verified. There are regional coordinaters taht are given this task. The regional rep may not have been able to verify it during the winter months. Also, the books need to be edited, printed, and distributed to the retailers in time to be available for the thru hiker season.

One cant assume that changes occur immediately. If you want to verify that this change will be in next year's companion, offer to work with the regional rep, maybe even go out to the shelter with them to show them. When doing this however, you will need to be flexible to work within their schedule. These folks are volunteers and gather information updates when time permits.

You may also want to let the trail maintaining club know that this is incorrect. They can then add appropriate signage at the shelter to alert hikers that may be misdirected by the information in the companion.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

The pump is within direct sight of the shelter.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    Wanting to improve the accuracy of the info in the ALDHA Companion, I e-mailed them in early November re their entry on the Ten Mile River shelter in CT. They say the water source, hand pump, is 0.2 miles north of the shelter.

It's actually 100 feet south and west (to the left as you're facing the front of the shelter).

This detail is important because 0.2 north is on the other side of Ten Mile River.

Unfortunately, the 2010 Companion retains the incorrect information.

They also still list the GCT-Pawling/AT Stop commuter train fare as $11.00/$15.25 off-peak/peak when it's been $13.00/$17.25 since March 2009.
    My thought is if you are sincere in being helpful, why don't you contact ALDHA directly instead of posting here? My guess is, as someone else suggested, is they received your info too late to confirm it and get it entered in the month or so before it was published.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    sometimes people get confused with north and south, i m not familiar with the area you are talking about but, in the books north is trail north not compass north. so east is always to the right when you are going north on the trail and west is always to the left, even if you are going in a southely direction on the trail, if you are hiking to maine, you are considered to be going north in the books.

Suggestion to trail book writers.....maybe where trail and true are very different make that clear......

e.g. "100 feet N(AT);SW(C)"

AT meaning in the direction of the trail towards Baxter. C being compass. I avoided Trail and True. Because Tr could mean either.

Would not need to included this for directions...if it clear..roads only go two directions. Telling someone to go west when the road really goes SW and NE should not be a problem. But if the trail has done a switch back it might be nice to do something like this. "2m E(AT)W(C)" if they are in fact going to be walking into the sunset to get to town.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

his years Companion is bigger and heavier than the other 2 guides

In the future, the original poster may want to contact ALDHA earlier than November for inclusion in the following year's Companion. In addition, I don't know where he sent the info, but contacting the field editor for that section would be the way to go.

They actually enjoy getting help.

As for the directional thing, I don't see the point in making things any more complicated than they need to be. Four directions work just fine.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    As for the directional thing, I don't see the point in making things any more complicated than they need to be. Four directions work just fine.
    I wonder if you are like my wife, who continually entertains me with directional references like "See the bird? It's there at 2o'clock," leaving me to wonder if she means relative to the direction she is facing, or the trail direction, or something else, perhaps wherever she happened to be looking before she noticed the bird. I think it's usually the latter. She often assumes I know what she's talking about, see what she's seeing. And when I finally understand which direction I'm supposed to look, I get, "Oh, it's gone now." Diverting, but not always effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    I wonder if you are like my wife, who continually entertains me with directional references like "See the bird? It's there at 2o'clock," leaving me to wonder if she means relative to the direction she is facing, or the trail direction, or something else, perhaps wherever she happened to be looking before she noticed the bird. I think it's usually the latter. She often assumes I know what she's talking about, see what she's seeing. And when I finally understand which direction I'm supposed to look, I get, "Oh, it's gone now." Diverting, but not always effective.
    I think four directions COULD work fine. If the all the hikers on the AT carried a compass and the editors used east to mean the direction in which the sun rises and west to mean where it sets. Instead of left and right of a winding trail. North of a shelter next to winding trail means almost nothing.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

.... As for the directional thing, I don't see the point in making things any more complicated than they need to be. ....
    What? Wait a minute - I thought you prided yourself on doing just that.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I think four directions COULD work fine. If the all the hikers on the AT carried a compass and the editors used east to mean the direction in which the sun rises and west to mean where it sets. Instead of left and right of a winding trail. North of a shelter next to winding trail means almost nothing.
    If a hiker wants to know where the water is, then he'll need to learn where north, south, left and right are. ALDHA doesn't need to baby him, he's backpacking.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    North of a shelter next to winding trail means almost nothing.
    not if the direction "north" denotes the direction of the trail as it heads north. most figure this out on day one.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I have yet to be at a shelter and been so confused as to where the water is that I had to break out a compass or a guidebook. But that's because I'm always carrying a dowsing rod.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post

Well, if you try to cross a river to get to a water source, maybe hiking isn't for you.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I hate it when GoogleMaps tell me to take I-95N when I-95 is obviously going west....

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Well, if you try to cross a river to get to a water source, maybe hiking isn't for you.
    This made me laugh out loud at my desk. Coworkers now think I'm nuts.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Au contraire, anybody who fords the Ten Mile River with a heavy pack, they're probably going to be a very successful hiker.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++