WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    Au contraire, anybody who fords the Ten Mile River with a heavy pack, they're probably going to be a very successful hiker.
    I think you missed the point. There is a water source 100 feet north of the shelter....the river.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Au contraire, anybody who fords the Ten Mile River with a heavy pack, they're probably going to be a very successful hiker.
    Au contraire, Au Contraire. Anyone who fords the Ten Mile River with a heavy pack is most likely a moron. Why would you ford the river when they provide a perfectly good foot bridge over the river?

Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I think you missed the point. There is a water source 100 feet north of the shelter....the river.
    Again while it is water you will want to avoid the big rivers like this and the Housatonic both have stuff such as PCB's that most filters will not remove.

I'm not so sure... Seems to me you need at least minimal smarts out there. Since there's a sturdy iron bridge placed there at considerable effort & expense for hikers' use, I wouldn't be favorably
    impressed by someone who fords the Ten Mile instead.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Again while it is water you will want to avoid the big rivers like this and the Housatonic both have stuff such as PCB's that most filters will not remove.
    i drank housatonic river water once and i don't glow in the dark. pcbs are on the bottom, free running pcbs not so much. bacon is prolly more dangerous.

And the pump next to the shelter is not getting its water from the huge river only 100 feet away?

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Au contraire, Au Contraire. Anyone who fords the Ten Mile River with a heavy pack is most likely a moron. Why would you ford the river when they provide a perfectly good foot bridge over the river?

Its bad enough that your throwing all of these double negatives into these posts but french double negatives, oy vie!!!

Au contraire is not really a negative. More like Wrong, you stupid ijit! Maybe a contrary.

Au contraire = On the contrary

That ain't no double negative
    Roland

And the pump next to the shelter is not getting its water from the huge river only 100 feet away?
    Most unlikely. Well water comes fr the aquafer, deep below the river bottom.

Au contraire, Au Contraire.
    On the contrary! In my book, calling this a double negative was funny, yaduck.

Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder View Post
    On the contrary! In my book, calling this a double negative was funny, yaduck.
    Even funnier was the french spelling of a yiddish expression, complaining about the use of a french double negitive.

Images

Just to clear stuff I up i drink from the rivers and eat bacon hell i figure it cant kill me any quicker than any of the other bad things i do in my life. and no i don't look both ways before i cross the street. I am hoping to get hit by a care sue the crap out of the driver spend a few months in rehab and then hike for the rest of my life. We all need to have a plan right?

Well Saquatch, if that's your plan, make sure you always cross in a crosswalk. It'll strengthen your case considerably. I just hope it isn't some clod in a Yugo that hits you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Well Saquatch, if that's your plan, make sure you always cross in a crosswalk. It'll strengthen your case considerably. I just hope it isn't some clod in a Yugo that hits you.
    No crap with the winter weight I have on me right now it could be a reverse suite.

Yugo driver hits man in crosswalk the driver of the car was hospitalized with major injuries. Car was totaled. Pedestrian was heard to say "This is not the way it was to happen. How can I sue if I am the less injured. Quick hit me with a bat!"

Sorry about the mistake...

Depending on the addy used, most email with corrections comes through my box. If the email came in November it was too late to make corrections in the 2010 edition but will be noted for for 2011.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    i drank housatonic river water once and i don't glow in the dark. pcbs are on the bottom, free running pcbs not so much. bacon is prolly more dangerous.
    lived in kent for a while. went tubing one summer, got a small cut on my foot from a rock. the next morning i was in agony in the doctors office as they were aspirating my wound and giving me antibiotics. got one of the most violent, fast infections he'd ever seen. screw the pcbs, i'm an acne-ridden sprat who'll need his face amputated from the crud in there.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I think four directions COULD work fine. If the all the hikers on the AT carried a compass and the editors used east to mean the direction in which the sun rises and west to mean where it sets. Instead of left and right of a winding trail. North of a shelter next to winding trail means almost nothing.
    Of course, they'd have to know where they are on the map. Now it's as simple as it gets... you're hiking north to Maine, east is right, west is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Of course, they'd have to know where they are on the map. Now it's as simple as it gets... you're hiking north to Maine, east is right, west is left.
    Interesting point here for people who have not seen the PCT Data Book. It gives the actual direction of travel for the roads, which means that sometimes you have to break out your compass to figure out which direction on the road (is NNE to the left??) they're talking about.

Much more complicated than the very simple AT directions.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Interesting point here for people who have not seen the PCT Data Book. It gives the actual direction of travel for the roads, which means that sometimes you have to break out your compass to figure out which direction on the road (is NNE to the left??) they're talking about.

Much more complicated than the very simple AT directions.
    I'd argue it's more complicated on the AT, simply because of the frequency of bars, ABC's and convenience store coolers can make walking a consistant direction a bit of a challenge.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++