WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: eating in tent?

Besides a google search, I also did a search here on White Blaze alone and came up with several articles/posts/topics on attacks/maulings..I even found one where Chaco Taco describes his food being taken from his tent with him right beside it..Its on this very forum under, "Bear Warning in the South"..

Very interseting to me..Now I really want to go out hiking...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

so some people have gotten into trouble for eating in their tents, but I think that the animal usually senses that there is a human in the tent and usually stays away, ... usually...

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Besides a google search, I also did a search here on White Blaze alone and came up with several articles/posts/topics on attacks/maulings..I even found one where Chaco Taco describes his food being taken from his tent with him right beside it..Its on this very forum under, "Bear Warning in the South"..

nope. no attacks/maulings. a bear stealing food is neither

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    so some people have gotten into trouble for eating in their tents, but I think that the animal usually senses that there is a human in the tent and usually stays away, ... usually...

Panzer
    and we all know that Chaco doesn't qualify as human.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nope. no attacks/maulings. a bear stealing food is neither

Lone Wolf, Your blind...Im not going to do your homework for you..It is there...Several topics here on the forum too...Nimbilwell Nomad even discribes a couple in his book...How can you be so blind???

Ok, Ok,, So there are mo such things as maulings/attacks...Go ahead and eat in your tent..The bears are just gigantic stuffed animals so go headand play with them and have fun..As for me, im going to enjoy them in the wild, but also respect them...

But given poor advice here like, its ok to eat in your tent is giving bad information..I hope the bear comes into your tent and licks your tummy..You may like it...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Lone Wolf, Your blind...Im not going to do your homework for you..It is there...Several topics here on the forum too...Nimbilwell Nomad even discribes a couple in his book...How can you be so blind???

Ok, Ok,, So there are mo such things as maulings/attacks...Go ahead and eat in your tent..The bears are just gigantic stuffed animals so go headand play with them and have fun..As for me, im going to enjoy them in the wild, but also respect them...

But given poor advice here like, its ok to eat in your tent is giving bad information..I hope the bear comes into your tent and licks your tummy..You may like it...
    you're still wrong. post a link to an AT hiker being attacked or mauled while in a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I think with all safety measures....be it keeping food out of your tent, size of first aid kit, bringing spot/cell phone etc. One must look at the particular situation and balance. Also bears/mice are not the only risk involved in cooking in vestibule. Fire is another risk.

Using all of your food as a pillow in your tent is one option. Put all of your food a bear bag is one option. But those are not the only two options. A third could be put all of your food except one teaspoon of instant coffee in your bear bag, which gets kept in the vestibule overnight.

Never bringing food into your tent is one option. Always bring food into your tent is one option. A third option could be to only bring food into your tent when hiking in areas with low/no bear risk, but bear bagging when the risk is higher.

Also cooking and eating in your tent is not the same as storing food in your tent. During a rain storm you might prepare dinner in your vestibule, eat, and then hang your bear bag. The next morning retrive the bear bag eat breakfast and then pack up. Of course in that case you want avoid spilling food and also avoid food with a high smell factor that might get into the fabric.
    You are overanalyzing this. I have had a bear take my food bag out from under my head as I sleep, I have had mice chew through pack liners. Hang it or dont hang it, either way, if the bear wants it, he will get it!

Telling someone its ok to eat in their tent isnt bad info. I do it allllll the time and will continue to do it. I also see tons of other hikers do it also. If you are that worried about bears take some pepper spray. Aint like we have Grizzlies on the AT.

Images

Bears are scared of humans. Raccoons, mice and skunks are not.

Taken, not mauled, not attacked. We were at Watuaga and there was trash everywhere. As an animal, that bear was just stayin where the food was plentiful. Isolated incident

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Taken, not mauled, not attacked.
    I would think that "taken" would be bad enough.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I would think that "taken" would be bad enough.

Panzer
    I had my vestibule open, he sniffed around for a long time before he took it. He knew exactly where to go for. He wasnt trying to hurt me. I feel bad because the condition of that campsite was really bad. He was just scared and hungry. Just hope he got relocated somewhere away from all of the litter. It was worse than I could have imagined a campsite to ever be on the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    You are overanalyzing this. I have had a bear take my food bag out from under my head as I sleep, I have had mice chew through pack liners. Hang it or dont hang it, either way, if the bear wants it, he will get it!
    But, but, but, it'll never happen to me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've been eating, drinking, cooking and sleeping with food in my tent for 25 years. never had a problem
    Yep, I like my coffee and breakfast from the warmth of my sleeping bag.
    If a mugger has the nerve to mug you, then he will, but only the bravest will, and even then, he just wants yer wallet. But leaving my wallet around the corner somewhere? Then any punk can spend all night trying to figure out how to get at it. I'll keep sleeping with my food right next to me.

Images

I'm more afraid of someone deleting my posts than a bear in my tent!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++