WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry any hikers with an underactive thyroid?

any hikers with an underactive thyroid? has it been more difficult hiking than when you hiked before you were diagnosed? even if you're in good shape? and can you still hike the same miles per day that you used to before you developed symptoms? can you still do 15 miles a day if you DO anywhere around 15? i'm still in good shape, but my symptoms somewhat slow me down. and someone tell me how to make my thread in bold, it won't let me.

Journal Entries
    Images

oh I lost half my thyroid last year, and my interest and activity dropped to almost nothing.... I have to force myself to get back into it real soon.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

that's strange. my interest hasn't dropped. i guess i'm also in hiker's withdrawal. haha. that's because i just don't do it as much in the winter. my activity HAS dropped lately, only because i've been pretty busy. i'm kind of getting off subject of my original post and questions, but did you lose interest because of the symptoms, and they made you not want to go out as much?

so my symptoms don't literally slow me down, they're just in the way. i'm still in good shape, i just feel like my body is racing inside sometimes. and sometimes i feel like i'm losing energy even though i'm in shape. i can cover a lot of ground all day long, but it's just an inconvenience. anyone feel the same way?

You didn't give much information. What exactly were you diagnosed with and are you taking medication?
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I take levothyroxin, one small pill when I wake up in the morning. I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week. At night I walk a minimum of 5 miles. Weekends I walk 7 miles a day and in the past two years I have done a major remodel of my kitchen, made my own concrete countertops. New floor, new cabinets etc. (very labor intensive) I almost never watch TV. Yada Yada Yada! Anyway, point is if you take the proper meds you should be fine. It sounds like W O Owl had different situation. Recovering from an operation takes time.
    Actually I have probably had this condition most of my life but was only diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm planning a thru hike of the AT when I retire.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    You didn't give much information. What exactly were you diagnosed with and are you taking medication?
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I take levothyroxin, one small pill when I wake up in the morning. I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week. At night I walk a minimum of 5 miles. Weekends I walk 7 miles a day and in the past two years I have done a major remodel of my kitchen, made my own concrete countertops. New floor, new cabinets etc. (very labor intensive) I almost never watch TV. Yada Yada Yada! Anyway, point is if you take the proper meds you should be fine. It sounds like W O Owl had different situation. Recovering from an operation takes time.
    Actually I have probably had this condition most of my life but was only diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm planning a thru hike of the AT when I retire.
    What he says... I work about the same # of hours as moytoy, go to school, walk about 4 miles a day during the week. I'm also on levothyroxin and don't have any energy problems whatsoever.

Randy

If the levothyroxin isn't doing it for you then you might want to check upstream at the pituitary gland. Have them check things like vitamin deficiency, testosterone, and adrenal glands. Unless you have a very good doctor they probably won't suggest this since it is not in their ADA paint by numbers medical book. Remember the thyroid is only a part of the metabolic system and changing it can throw the rest out of whack.

Journal Entries
    Images

Since the operation I hadn't givin it much thought, then I saw this post. I gave it some thought and I really have not been getting out much at all last year in spite of the fact my levels are fine.... Some lack of interest. I actually healed up quickly far faster than I thought.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have Hashimoto's.

Levothyroxine wasn't enough for me. I have to take Cytomel (T3) with it as well. It's taken nearly two years to get me 'back on my feet'. I get tired more easily and have to keep very close tabs on my diet.
    (I was doing the best on Armour Thyroid, but it's on long-term backorder everywhere, so my doc just switched me over to the Levo and Cytomel combination. I'm back to frequent bloodwork again as we sort this all out.)

I just started to supplement with Iodine Plus-2 and I am seeing a difference in my energy levels as I slowly increase my dose. I also take an herbal adaptogen blend called SR Adrenal that has been helping to get me back on my feet as well.

I take levothyroxin and have plenty of giddyup. Not everyone reacts the same to a given medication.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

After I finished the AT in '07 my thyroid level changed. I needed more medicine. First time in 14 years. But mine is borderline. I take a low dose, and have been since '92. I took my pills while I was on the trail. Hence the need for maildrops too, along with other things.

If you are newly diagnosed though, you're gonna want to allow your system time to adjust to the medicine.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    After I finished the AT in '07 my thyroid level changed. I needed more medicine. First time in 14 years. But mine is borderline. I take a low dose, and have been since '92. I took my pills while I was on the trail. Hence the need for maildrops too, along with other things.

If you are newly diagnosed though, you're gonna want to allow your system time to adjust to the medicine.
    Yes but how did it change your activity?

Woo

i have not thyroid(removed due to cancer), the only thing it changed was the weight. sometimes if u still have the thyroid, the medication will be adjusted accordingly. you will experience when the dosage is low, you will be sluggish. but it will not prevent you from doing anything. it will just take a little longer. hope this helps
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Journal Entries
    Images

In my attempt to look up more information about my thyroid/iodine issues and discovered that this might be due to a early on lack of B12 and as an indicator. I went salt & pepper very early in life.

Woo

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yes but how did it change your activity?

It didn't. I have a mild case.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I also have Hashimotos and take a full dose of Levothyroixine since my thyroid is dead but not cancerous. I notice a huge drop in my energy level with this condition, but if I exercise, I feel great. It took about two years to get the levels stable. I got this condition right after I ran a marathon but think it was my age and genes. I think alot of my older family members had this and just died young with heart disease because of this undiagnosed and unknown condition. It is treatable but life long. Just get out there and move, and feel better.

just get out there and move? i run/bike/hike all the time. i think people misunderstood as being lazy and sitting around. where did i ever say i don't get out and move? sorry, i'm not nagging at you erin. i only said my interest hasn't dropped(because someone stated theirs did), just activity has dropped lately because i've been busy. and i DON'T watch TV. just the pacific, when it comes out. haha

hal... you have not indicated whether you are on meds or not. This fact might be important later on if you are not taking anything for the underactive thyroid. Most Doctors who study this condition now believe that taking meds early on will prevent or at least delay the onset of hashimotos disease.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Haloofwint3r, Whoa, I certainly meant no insult by my post and I suprised you took it that way. I don't think I ever implied you are lazy and watch TV all the time. Quite the opposite I assumed you are active and find the disease frustrating. What I found is that I am really tired after work and have a hard time starting activity (running, biking in the evening) but once I do it I feel better and energized. As posted above, you did not say if you were on medication for this condition but a doctor's advice is always better than what you will receive on the internet.

Default Low thyroid

I also have Hashimoto's. I don't take the usual meds because they contain animal products. I have a T3/T4 combo made for me at a compound pharmacy. Once my meds kicked in, I felt nearly normal again. But then I found out I have adrenal issues (I take cortisol) and recently found out I am severley deficient in vitamin D (so now I'm taking that).

The meds should make you feel like you did before thyroid problems. Otherwise you may need to increase dosage or get tested for related illnesses/deficiencies. I'm thru-hiking this year, just got re-tested and will need to increase my dosage before I hit the trail. There is no way I'd be able to attempt a thru without my medication. I had almost no energy before being treated! But now I feel better than I have in several years and I'm only 30!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++