WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cooking in a vestibule and potential bear issues?

I've cooked in my old tent with never having problems with bears, yet I've been hearing from a good friend w/ a lot more outdoor experience than I, that I'm asking for a real up close viewing opportunity with bears . I DO use a bear bag in the Whites and the Berkshires, but will the smells from my cooking in the tent pose a problem? Where else to cook when it's pourin' out?
    http://www.trailjournals.com/sprocket/

"Put the hammer down, keep it full speed ahead..."
    -B.B.King

I like to cook at a shelter and walk an hour further before setting up camp. I know folks who had their packs stolen by a bear in the Smokies, long before they had a chance to cook.

Bill...

American Idiot
    Images

If you read the PCT journal by Chris on his website, he would make dinner then hike a couple more hours and set up camp to avoid this problem. I sure hadn't thought of it, but it does make sense and seems reasonable. I don't think he mentioned ever having a problem with the bears.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Images

I depends where you hike. The areas you mention really don't have big bear populations. Even northern New Jersey has a bigger problem. If you are in an area of low natural food or large bear population or worse yet human habituated bears you could have a problem.
    I don't cook near my tent. I hang my food & "smellables" even if there are no bear reports. I carry a small sheet of coated ripstop that serves as both a rain kilt and ad hoc dining fly. I too have cooked in my tent in the White Mountians, I was young and foolish, I don't do it any more.

++ New Posts ++