WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recipe: Chicken Carbonara

Hello!

I am only a few days away from launching my website but I thought I would share a simple Italian recipe: Chicken Carbonara the Practical way!

We made this recipe on our first trip of the season in a campsite next to the Madison River in Beartrap Canyon. Enjoy!

It's important to note that the base of this recipe is a powdered Alfredo Sauce. There are several different varieties from McCormick, Simply Organic, and others. For this example we used the McCormick brand because it was labeled as a "Creamy Garlic Alfredo". I thought the addition of the garlic flavor might be a nice touch. However, I prefer the Simply Organic brand of Alfredo sauce personally.

This recipe will feed 3 people an average dinner, or 2 hungry hikers. You can easily halve this recipe by pre-measuring the Alfredo sauce powder at home.

Chicken Carbonara

Ingredient List:
    --2 Packages of Ramen Noodles (If you use a dehydrator, substitute dried whole wheat pasta!)

--1 package of Alfredo Sauce mix
    -- Nido Powdered Milk (1tbsp = 1/3rd cup. This is a universal dried milk measurement)
    --Butter (We use clarified butter on the trail It's very easy to make and we will have a tutorial on our website for clarified butter when it launches)
    --8-12 strips of Pre-Cooked shelf stable bacon
    --2 5 ounce cans of white chicken

Optional: Parmesan Cheese (We normally carry a little fresh Parmesan in a block and grate it. It packs easy, stays fresh and tastes way better than powdered.)

Hello!

All the Ingredients and Cookware Laid Out

Boil Two Cups of Water for Two Packages of Ramen. Break up Ramen, put into pot, cover and set aside to rehydrate. (TIP: You can rehydrate Ramen in cold water as well. 1 Cup of water per package.)

Fry up your shelf stable bacon on medium-low heat. This bacon is already pre-cooked so all your goal at this point is to make it crispy. Be careful, it burns easy so don't use high heat.

Remove bacon from pot and place on paper towel to drain. Please leave the slight amount of bacon grease in pot. It adds flavor.

Mix up ONE cup of dried milk, (Nido whole dried milk will give you the best flavor for your foods.) add to pot, then slowly add the Alfredo sauce powder of medium-low heat. Add Butter and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. When it reaches boiling point, reduce heat and let simmer up to 5 minutes.

When sauce has thickened sufficiently to your liking, add canned chicken. If you add the entire contents of the can (water) you may need to simmer again to re-gain its thickness.

When sauce is completed, drain the water from the Ramen noodle pot and divid noodles into bowls. Add Alfredo sauce and top with crumbled bacon. Here's the finished dish - Enjoy!

Images

Yummy I love spaghetti carbonara I thought about making it and dehydrating it for a one pot meal I try to minimize the ingredients I have to pack so it's quick Light and simple. Thanks for sharing looking forward to your web site
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Well yum... I'd probably swap in angel hair for the ramen but I am picky like that.

Will be making this very soon. Thanx

Images

Like the others, I'd make a little change or two here and there to accommodate my tastes, equipment, and the fact that I almost always hike solo, but this sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to trying it on my next section hike. Thanks, Blue Tang!

You had me at eight to ten strips of bacon.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I've always thought that making food was meant to be fun. Changing recipes around is half the fun sometimes. Personally, we would do this one with our own dried pasta as opposed to Ramen. However I wanted to show this recipe as practical by making it easy for someone to walk into a grocery store on their way to a trailhead and create a meal. This is exactly how this meal came about for us.

Jester2000 if you are a bacon lover, have you ever heard of Bacaonniase?

http://www.baconnaise.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTang View Post
    I've always thought that making food was meant to be fun. Changing recipes around is half the fun sometimes. Personally, we would do this one with our own dried pasta as opposed to Ramen. However I wanted to show this recipe as practical by making it easy for someone to walk into a grocery store on their way to a trailhead and create a meal. This is exactly how this meal came about for us.

Jester2000 if you are a bacon lover, have you ever heard of Bacaonniase?

http://www.baconnaise.com/
    I have heard of it! Tho' it bothers me that it's vegetarian safe . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    You had me at eight to ten strips of bacon.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Shoot, i'll make this at home just for poops and giggles! looks good kid!

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    Shoot, i'll make this at home just for poops and giggles! looks good kid!
    If you do, use a higher quality Alfredo sauce than the powder. You're tummy will thank you

Images

Excellent! I'll be trying this for sure. Just a side note, you're website link asks for a password. I'm assuming it's still under construction? Good luck with it - I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Hi Bullseye. The site went live this evening. I messed it up real bad on Friday just before we were going to turn everything on so my dad passworded the root so he could fix it for me. Feel free to visit.

Images

Does sound good, but everything sounds good with bacon in the ingredients!!!
    I am going to google shelf stable bacon right now so I don't forget to buy mass quantities!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    Does sound good, but everything sounds good with bacon in the ingredients!!!
    I am going to google shelf stable bacon right now so I don't forget to buy mass quantities!! :-)
    We used to get it at a decent price in Costco but they quit carrying it in our local store and unfortunately Costco is the only choice we have here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTang View Post
    We used to get it at a decent price in Costco but they quit carrying it in our local store and unfortunately Costco is the only choice we have here.
    I had no luck finding it before I went to bed but I will.
    I used to work for a food supply company, they sell directly to restaurants and small grocery stores. We also had a cash sale pick up window.
    May be able to buy direct from a company like PFG Foods or Cysco Foods.

++ New Posts ++