WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Hiker rescued near Springer

News article out today about some poor guy who had to call for a rescue near Springer on his first day on the trail, sounds like he got disoriented in the snow, ended up on the BMT instead of the AT.....

doesn't sound like he had the gear for cold, wet weather. Luckily, rescue teams found him fairly quickly. A quick end to his trip.

http://www.thenewsobserver.com/artic...ews/news01.txt

Images

I didn't know it got cold and wet in Georgia in March.

Oh, yes, and we've had a record breaking cold wet winter this year. You can check out the AT weather at:

sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I've been very concerned about the early starters this year, and sooo wish this cold would change. Lately, it's been some better, so maybe it's about gone.

Yeah, hopefully the last of the bad chills are gone for the season. Isn't always being prepared for wet (maybe not cold, but at least wet) weather a huge piece of common sense for backpacking?

Images

Next time I'll use to indicate. sarcasm. Did not expect my comment to be taken seriously.

I detected your faceces a mile away sir. <---New word alert.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Next time I'll use to indicate. sarcasm. Did not expect my comment to be taken seriously.
    The fact that your from Ga. gave it away.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

A Darwin candidate for sure
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Perhaps just a junior Darwin award trainee, but I see some potential.

I've no sympathy. Surprised the guy found his way to Springer to begin with. Oh well. Just he will just have to retire to White Blaze and become a expert hiking advice giver. For those that say, "It could have happened to anybody" save it. That is not true. It takes a lack of intelligence, confidence, experience and common sense to have to activate an emergency locating device on your 1st frickin day on the trail. Those that feel they need one of these devices to hike the A.T. should probably not be hiking the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Oh, yes, and we've had a record breaking cold wet winter this year. You can check out the AT weather at:

sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I've been very concerned about the early starters this year, and sooo wish this cold would change. Lately, it's been some better, so maybe it's about gone.
    It's not the start date that's the problem here. It's that they guy was dim witted

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thelowend View Post
    I detected your faceces a mile away sir. <---New word alert.
    Faeces? I'm assuming downwind. I thought we were supposed to bury those things?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

It's guys like this that end up hurting the rest of us. People do dumb things which lead to restrictions that affect the rest of us. Not saying that will happen this time, but it sure does seem to happen a lot.

Images

People starting early should really consider going for a week-long or at least weekend-long trip in the snow...not as fun as it seems IMO. I know some people on WB love winter hiking...more power to you, it's just not for me.

I understand some start early because of job restrictions. Do you really want to make the majority of your hike miserable by doing it in snow and bitterly cold winds? Wait until you can get time to do most of it in the summer.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Your 1st or 2nd day hiking, you go down the wrong trail. OK that could happen to a lot of people. But the guy was not wandering in circles in the woods. He was on a trail and only a 1/2 hour from where he started. Did it never occur to this idiot to turn around and retrace his steps? No. Instead he decides to waste other peoples time and money for a non emergency "rescue". My only advice for this guy is to go home to Illinois and take up another hobby. Something other than hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    People starting early should really consider going for a week-long or at least weekend-long trip in the snow...not as fun as it seems IMO. I know some people on WB love winter hiking...more power to you, it's just not for me.

I understand some start early because of job restrictions. Do you really want to make the majority of your hike miserable by doing it in snow and bitterly cold winds? Wait until you can get time to do most of it in the summer.
    Hiking in the snow is great fun. Winter hiking is great fun. If you are equipped and prepared for it.

Images

Ok, I had to laugh at the "Springer altitude" phrase in that article. Maybe it's because I live in Boone and walk a mile to class in "Springer altitude" everyday...but just doesn't seem like it would really be a factor unless you were really, really out of shape. I mean it seems like they're trying to equate the AT to Everest or something. Thanks, media..
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Hiking in the snow is great fun. Winter hiking is great fun. If you are equipped and prepared for it.
    Different strokes for different folks. As I said, it's just not for me.

-Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. As I said, it's just not for me.
    Which is fine. Personally I don't mind some snow. Never tried to hike in more than 6 or 8 inches, so I don't know if that would be my thing or not.

Back to the "hiker" that got lost: can't get over the feeling he was relying on technology more than common sense. If true he was screwed sooner or later anyway.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

The emergency locater thingymajigger says it all. I think he was trying to justify the purchase.

-Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++