Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not)...both of the women (but it might have only been one of them) attacked on the infamous "night of the grizzlies" were menstruating at the time and this is where the whole women having their period are at greater risk began.

Theoretically a portion of bear attacks on women should occur during their menstruation cycle even if there is no cause/effect relationship.

Definitely don't hang around garbage dumps.
    The hanging around garbage dump advice cracked me up... although it's very true! I still don't buy the other story (bear attacks instigated by periods) 'til I see proof - although while we are on the subject I have never hiked in grizzly territory and they seriously unnerve me!

And you are right: theoretically a portion of women would be menstruating at the time of an attack regardless of cause.

Also... so theoretically we are worrying about the cup... and bears have a mind-blowing sense of smell... if you're going to opt to be concerned about the clean, bagged cup... you're going to have to be even more concerned when you are actually menstruating!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny minnie View Post
    The hanging around garbage dump advice cracked me up... although it's very true! I still don't buy the other story (bear attacks instigated by periods) 'til I see proof - although while we are on the subject I have never hiked in grizzly territory and they seriously unnerve me!

And you are right: theoretically a portion of women would be menstruating at the time of an attack regardless of cause.

Also... so theoretically we are worrying about the cup... and bears have a mind-blowing sense of smell... if you're going to opt to be concerned about the clean, bagged cup... you're going to have to be even more concerned when you are actually menstruating!
    My point was that I think the hystia over women being attacked when having their period, stemmed from an attack in which there is zero reason to think that there is any cause-effect relationship.

I have not seen anything to suggest bears are attracted to blood. On the other hand you might not want to store it in your tent if you are concerned with shark attacks.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lmpowell1 View Post
    The instructions say to boil them for 20 minutes when you are done using it for the month, does anyone do that on the trail?
    No. Just rinse it and wipe it out with sanitizer until I can give it a real good soapy wash in town. I've had mine several years and only ever boiled it once after about 3 years of use, more because it was starting to discolor than anything else, but it didn't make any difference in the color, so haven't done it again since.

Also no to the OP's question. I keep mine stored in a ziplock, which is inside another ziplock that has a pack of wet wipes (don't use them much, but do like to get my hands good and clean before insertion/removal). I figure the double bag keeps the dirst out and any potential scent in.
    HUGS - J

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not)...both of the women (but it might have only been one of them) attacked on the infamous "night of the grizzlies" were menstruating at the time and this is where the whole women having their period are at greater risk began.

Theoretically a portion of bear attacks on women should occur during their menstruation cycle even if there is no cause/effect relationship.

Definitely don't hang around garbage dumps.
    Wow check out the brain on Just a moron
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Wow check out the brain on Just a moron
    i know, right??

May you live all the days of your Life - J. Swift

I know that Diva Cups can be found at Whole Foods (though in town there are two WFs, and only one, the bigger of the two stores, carries the Diva Cup)

You can also get them online...I know Diva Cup sells them via their website, but you can also purchase them at REI and get some money back with your dividend.

jnwtx - be careful...It was strongly recommended by my OB/GNY to replace my diva cup every year or so, and absolutely to boil it between uses...I'm sure it's been working for you just fine, but you may want to buy a new one soon and think about boiling it.

Impowell1 - I carried my diva cup my whole hike (with the exception of a few times when I sent it on in my bounce box) and while I was using it I just made sure that when I emptied it, I washed my hands very well before taking it out, rinsing it with a little drinking water and putting it back. When I was done with it, I'd wash it with camp soap and stick it in my first aid stuff....but I'd always make sure that I boiled it the next chance I got in town...usually at a hostel on a stove top range so I wasn't wasting fuel.

I definitely never bear bagged it, and I REALLY wouldn't worry about attracting bears when you're on your period. Along the AT, every bear I've ever seen (all 11 of them) turned and ran as soon as they saw me there looking at them, whether I was on my period or not! =0)

Thru-hiker in planning, 2013 GalHikingTheGap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotoGypsy View Post
    I can't FIND a diva cup... check CVS, WalMart, Target... what gives?
    I ordered MeLuna's from Germany and used the opportunity to try three diff sizes, stems, and colors, and get one for my twin sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Why bother with all that?? My doctor wrote me my pill prescription so I can take them back to back for the hike and not have a period. Then there is no worries.
    There are many many reasons why women would not be on or be able to take BCPs or any form of hormonal BC. Sadly I am not one of them - and this whole having a period on the trail is a pain LOL I was spoiled for soo many years.

so thanks for this thread i am off to learn about the Diva cup!
    ~Christy

Is the Diva cup really worth it? It sounds messy to insert and remove and I would be concerned about not having the cleanest hands while hiking. Is it really that much better than pads or tampons?

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Why bother with all that?? My doctor wrote me my pill prescription so I can take them back to back for the hike and not have a period. Then there is no worries.
    I was taking the pill for a while to "schedule" my migraines. Then, for some reason, I started getting daily migraines. I stopped the pill, stopped having daily migraines.

Taking it depends on your personal preference and your doctor's recommendation.

As for using the Diva, you'd have to deal with dirty hands when using tampons. Also, if you have a heavy flow, it's great, and I think there is less odor.

The Diva may be healthier for you, but that's only an opinion; I have no supporting data.

K2
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

I had so many questions about female related issues on extended hikes before joining this site. Thank you ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by LPoo View Post
    Is the Diva cup really worth it? It sounds messy to insert and remove and I would be concerned about not having the cleanest hands while hiking. Is it really that much better than pads or tampons?
    This may be a TMI post, but...

Well some of us can't use tampons (me, I get toxic) so the diva cup is a lifesaver. I also can't use any form of hormonal BC (tried 3x and had too many side effects.)

This is what I did in regards to cleaning my hands--rinse them in a stream (no soap) to get any surfact dirt off. Then I would use hand sanitizer. Never, ever had a problem w/infection on the trail. The cup itself I would dump out in a cat hole and then rinse it well with potable water. I would clean it with soap and hot water in town.

I never had any problems whatsoever. Yeah, once or twice I had a mishap, but it's better than using pads (ugh) and even w/tampons, there is no mess or packaging to carry in the meantime. Also, after the first 2 days, I simply had to use it during the day, putting in and taking out only once. It's about 5 minutes total to deal with and other than that I don't know that it's there.

I also find it wise to carry a few baby wipes.

Guess I should find out what a diva cup is...sounds kind of personal. Here goes.

I was looking through a hikers book and reading the section on bear safety. Here is an actual quote "Don't menstruate: the smell may attract bears." I just love that it says "Don't".. .. just.. don't?? Ladies, wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy!!!! Not 'don't hike when you have your period', but.. 'don't have your period when you hike'.. oooook then!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++