WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: REI Sale???

Default REI Sale???

Hi,

I know there is a 20% off sale on REIoutlet.com right now, but anyone know when/if REI.com is having a spring sale anytime soon? I'm hoping to catch a good slae price on a Marmot Arroyo sleeping bag.

Thanks!

REI dividend along with 20% off one full price item comes out Sunday.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

www.basegear.com

Best price on the Arroyo that I've seen.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    The question is . . . which Sunday? It apparently wasn't this one!

Well what is weird is that last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet. And 2009 is when I bought ALL of my camping gear for this thru hike, which was close to like $2000 in gear so I would hope its more than $76!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The question is . . . which Sunday? It apparently wasn't this one!
    The REI website says "Look for it around March 22"

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet.
    My dividend also appears with a balance today. They have probably calculated it but not sent out emails or letters yet, and not removed the message. I didn't try to spend it yet as they usually have a couple of decent sales in the weeks after the Dividend notifications are sent out.
    HUGS - J

Quote Originally Posted by jnetx View Post
    My dividend also appears with a balance today. They have probably calculated it but not sent out emails or letters yet, and not removed the message. I didn't try to spend it yet as they usually have a couple of decent sales in the weeks after the Dividend notifications are sent out.
    Did yours looks like an accurate amount?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Images

Well what is weird is that last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet. And 2009 is when I bought ALL of my camping gear for this thru hike, which was close to like $2000 in gear so I would hope its more than $76!

only certain items qualify for the dividend. you mite want to pay closer attention on what actually qualifies for the dividend...im pretty sure thats how it goes..rei inflates their prices to counter the dividend. whenever i compare with other places rei is usually the most expensive...just my 2 cents

Images

Dividends only apply to full price items. Sales priced items do not add to dividends. Makes good business sense. They aren't going to give you another 10% off an already highly discounted item. The better alternative is to acquire and use the REI Visa card. I'm looking forward to over $200 in dividends, almost all of which is for non-REI purchases. Gonna take the 20% discount on a new pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes and apply dividends to get them at no cost. I'll still have $160 balance to buy some other things!

Images

Did yours looks like an accurate amount?
    my dividend is all messed up. i spent well over 1500 dollars this year. i know i bought a few things on the outlet so i took that into account. but my dividend was only like 36 bucks... the explanation i'm going to assume is that once i return things the items that you repurchase does qualify for the dividend. which sucks becuase i only bought full price things...

i feel robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at REI on this one. I've heard so many different things it's ridiculous!

I'm beginning to thing that the federal government has taken over the administration of the REI dividend.

Journal Entries
    Images

does anyone have that additional 20% off an outlet item coupon code? i don't.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    rei inflates their prices to counter the dividend. whenever i compare with other places rei is usually the most expensive...
    Not true. Products at REI are sold at their manufacturer's suggested retail price. They aren't adding anything to that price to "counter the dividend." The point of REI is that it's a co-op, and membership gets you a discount on regular price gear. (Which doesn't hurt REI at all, since their cost on clothing is half the MSRP in general.)

When you see cheaper prices elsewhere, they are below MSRP. Which is fine. Sometimes they are "sale" prices (which happens often enough at REI), sometimes they are older models on clearance (found at a lot of online outlet stores).

In any case, you are free to shop around and buy wherever you find the lowest price.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    my dividend is all messed up. i spent well over 1500 dollars this year. i know i bought a few things on the outlet so i took that into account. but my dividend was only like 36 bucks... the explanation i'm going to assume is that once i return things the items that you repurchase does qualify for the dividend. which sucks becuase i only bought full price things...

i feel robbed.
    my dividend amount appeared sunday morning and i spent it sunday afternoon...no problems!!! all from the AT...having it sent to hot springs ! happy trails! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    does anyone have that additional 20% off an outlet item coupon code? i don't. :(
    That sale is over for now. There is no coupon code for the additional 20% off the outlet. It was automatically taken off the most expensive item in your cart when you purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Not true. Products at REI are sold at their manufacturer's suggested retail price. They aren't adding anything to that price to "counter the dividend." The point of REI is that it's a co-op, and membership gets you a discount on regular price gear. (Which doesn't hurt REI at all, since their cost on clothing is half the MSRP in general.)

When you see cheaper prices elsewhere, they are below MSRP. Which is fine. Sometimes they are "sale" prices (which happens often enough at REI), sometimes they are older models on clearance (found at a lot of online outlet stores).

In any case, you are free to shop around and buy wherever you find the lowest price.
    I agree. I picked up a couple of water bottles at REI for $10. I saw the exact same bottles at Sports Authority for $12 (well not the EXACT same. . .one said REI the other said Sports Authority). Other than that they were the same.

The key is knowing your stuff and what the prices are else where. Some times I can get stuff at REI cheaper, other times Gander Mountain, and other times online.

Images

My dividends have posted . . . $241, yee ha! Thank you REI Visa! Now waiting for the member's sale which should start in next 2 weeks to get 20% off high ticket item and then apply my dividends. Thinking about upgrading my backpack to the Gregory Baltoro 70. I could get it for no cash out of pocket.

REI sales are great. Get stuff when deep discounted. I NPR (Never Pay Retail) so only buy gear at REI on sale or 20% member discounted. As bigcranky said, be careful shopping online as often the cheaper item is last years' or discontinued model of that brand. If you're OK with that and want to save the money, fine. Just know what you're getting by carefully researching the product, which is relatively easy using our friend "google."

An example would be the popular Marmot Precip jacket. The online discounters don't give a lot of detail, so the best advise is to learn what this year's model colors are. You likely won't find any steep discounts on those color jackets, but you will find them on other color (year/model) ones. Remember it's not just colors that changed, even though that's the best way to identify the year/model. There are usually significant improvements that the eye cannot discern looking at pictures on the web.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

i may have misused the word inflate. i should have said that every time i go to the two outfitters[1/4 mile apart] rei sees to have higher prices than the other outfitter. i study enough prices for hiking gear that i know what i see. these are not sale items just head to head comparisons from one store to the other. i can get a candle lantern at walmart 8$ cheaper than rei..let me end on this note, not all items are higher priced...why buy something at rei for 10% dividend when you can wait for a 20 or 30% sale and do much better?

Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    my dividend amount appeared sunday morning and i spent it sunday afternoon...no problems!!! all from the AT...having it sent to hot springs ! happy trails! maddog

Ours was posted this past Friday. We went to the REI in Timonium MD today and a sales guy asked me if we were members. When I said yes, he told me that the dividends do NOT start to apply until tomorrow - Monday, 22nd - and that is when the 20% would start as well and that lasts until April 18th. Needless to say we didn't buy anything today except for Java Juice and Gu Gel packets and only because they're often out of the ones we want.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++