WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Quiting the trail

Well class of 2010 there are 100s of reasons to quit the trail. When you decide to quit, just pick one. The folks back home that you are telling your reason for quiting won't know much about an AT hike so they will believe what ever reason you come up with.
    Be prepaired..My thru-hike was the hardest job I ever had.
    Grampie-N->2001

Jury Summons?

Court date for your last felony?

Hooker stole your wallet in Tenn.

In 2000 there was this great hiker. He had those long hiking legs, knew all about the trail, flora and fauna. He's section hiked most of the AT. There was no reason for him not to succeed with his thru hike. All he talked about was what his family was doing at home at any given time. Finally I said to him..."Ya know you don't have to be here. You can just go where you want to be." So he packed up and went home. No foul in that. No one is being forced to hike. If you don't want to be there you where you want to be. It's better than making your body write an excuse for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by right side View Post
    wow,
    when your out there you'll think of a million reasons to quit. If you talk to most thru hikers that have completed it , they'll say they thought "is this really worth it"? at least once. When I did it I wanted to complete it, I kept that in mind, the thoughts I had before I went out.
    No it is not fun the whole time, but when you touch that sign and you no you didnt give up I can not explain the feeling!

I always have to voices in me, one wants me to fail and one wants me to suceed, that one that wants me to fail is very smart, but I have god to fight that voice.

If you set out to hike the at, then finish it, It will be worth it!

I concur, AMEN!!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    injury, illness, time, money, just not feeling it..... everyone has their reasons for getting off, no biggie, trail will still be there

That just about sums it all up....

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hooker stole your wallet 2 years in a row in Gorham NH

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when it stops being fun!

I figure that is a pretty good reason, as the only reason to do it is 'cause it is fun.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

A massive stroke would probably do it for me. Just visited an old friend who had one and God bless him he has quit just about everything except watching TV. Haven't thought it all through just yet but thinking about getting him out for a short hike even though he never was into that before. Heck, I need to try anyways..........

Quote Originally Posted by Class2010AT View Post
    Why in your mind is a good resaon to stop hiking??

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself
    For me it would be my family urgently needing my help for some very serious/important reason. This I believe would be at the top of my short list. Also I think if I became seriously sick or injured to the point where it would be very detrimental to my health to force myself to continue. I think though if the weather was constantly and consistently bad this too would/could make it into my list of reasons. A thru-hike is already going to be hard and demanding enough. I would have to at least be rewarded with plenty of warm, sunny, and dry weather!

When I decided to get off the trail in 2008, my main thoughts were about being with my grandmother who had recently been diagnosed with cancer, although while at neel's gap I found out my boots were actually too small in the toe box so I probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyhow.
    If you never try you've already failed ~ Me?? Somebody else??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++