WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

There is only 1 rule. 1st come 1st served to capacity.

Anything else just shows how much you/others are willing to cater to others and is only a gentlemanly reflection.

That said, I have my one personal rule:

If I do end up staying at a shelter and it's to capacity, if someone who has come from a significantly longer distance than myself arrives, as the youngster with his own shelter... I'll cede my position to them. Has happened 50% of the time I decided to stay at a shelter.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Talking about snoring in shelters is futile.

The only rule I remember: There's always room for one more in a storm.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If you snore, be kind and sleep outside.
    If snoring bothers you, be realistic and sleep outside.

Images

Sleeping near shelters sux because some inconsiderates want to talk into the late night and others wake up before the crack of dawn. Both groups cut into sleep.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
    There is only 1 rule. 1st come 1st served to capacity.

Anything else just shows how much you/others are willing to cater to others and is only a gentlemanly reflection.

That said, I have my one personal rule:

If I do end up staying at a shelter and it's to capacity, if someone who has come from a significantly longer distance than myself arrives, as the youngster with his own shelter... I'll cede my position to them. Has happened 50% of the time I decided to stay at a shelter.
    Good rule. I believe one who's sectional hiking (me) should definitely give it up (the shelter space that is) to the ones thru hiking. Unless you're a really hot babe who wants to give it up to a thru hiker, which in that case "yes I am thru hiking!"

Quote Originally Posted by scottdennis View Post
    Good rule. I believe one who's sectional hiking (me) should definitely give it up (the shelter space that is) to the ones thru hiking.
    why? they're no more deserving than an overnighter

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you snore really loud and consitantly all night - use a tent far removed from the shelter!.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    ....If you snore, be kind and sleep outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Talking about snoring in shelters is futile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    If snoring bothers you, be realistic and sleep outside.
    Some contradictory perspectives...

Re snoring (of which I'm quite guilty so I'm told), there are 2 ways to divide the world of hikers:

1. Those who snore or
    2. Those who don't

and..

1. Those who are bothered by and can't sleep because of snoring, or
    2. Those who can sleep through snoring w/o problems.

In a perfect world where everyone is honest with their answers and considerate, both questions would be ferreted. IMO, a loud snorer should be willing and prepared to tent. OTOH, a loud snorer shouldn't have to move out if his non-snoring sheltermates are still able to sleep through snoring which may very well be the case if they're thruhikers putting in big miles; they can sleep through anything!

If a shelter has 8 hikers - 3 snorers, 4 non-snorers who can sleep despite others snoring and 1 very light sleeper - who should tent outside? And re. the first-come-first-served "rule" - oy! If I'm in a shelter alone and then someone shows up at 8:30 in burgeoning darkness and announces (s)he is a very light sleeper, I'm the one who should move? If the situation is reversed, I'd be prepared to tent but I'd certainly broach the subject and stress wanting an honest answer; don't fear coming across as impolite.

Like so many things on the Trail, folks just need to work things out with a maximum of reason and a minimum of selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? they're no more deserving than an overnighter
    I believe an overnighter can more easily carry a few extra pounds for a nice comfortable shelter since they're not carrying the load quite as far.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but personally I'm willing to give up my space to someone who's gone through the effort to make a thru hike. I know Monday night (or whenever I get back), I'll be back in my bed.

I didn't say that they're more deserving, but I'll personally give up the space. Doesn't make me better or you worse or anything. It's just what I believe.

Images

I believe an overnighter can more easily carry a few extra pounds for a nice comfortable shelter since they're not carrying the load quite as far.
    Well, using this logic, the Thru hiker will have an easier day, since they have their trail legs and will be in better shape. One of the difficulties with section hiking is that you are always starting over.

Shelters are first come first served. No one should feel obligated to give up space to a "Thru Hiker". Their heads get big enough as it is.

Their heads get big enough as it is.
    There you go! Who said ALL my reasons for wanting to "give them their space" were pure.

Shelters are first come first served. No one should feel obligated to give up space to a "Thru Hiker". Their heads get big enough as it is.
    especially in georgia when there's so many thru-hike wannabes.. they qualify as a large group which aren't suppose to use shelters

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

All these "rules" is why it is far easier to just tent it. No muss, no fuss.

When I first started backpacking, it never occurred to me to sleep in a lean-to.

I will sleep in a shelter if I pretty much have it to myself or with one or two others..esp on a rainy night.

Overall, though, it is far easier and more comfortable to just pitch a tent..even when it is rainy and cold out. Shelters tend to get crowded on a rainy night making it hard to sleep (at least for me).

I recognize the social aspects of the shelter areas. I'd often cook dinner, talk and then tent out on my own.

Not trying to start an anti-shelter rant...just saying why it can often be easier to not to use one. YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
    Which is EXACTLY what 4shot was asking about when he started this thread!

I don't buy that.

A thru hiker needs to carry shelter just like the overnighter and is more likely to have invested in a good quality shelter than someone who only camps occasionally. Also the thru hiker is more likely to know how to pitch their shelter in such a way that rain doesn't run thru it because of the more experience than a newbie overnigher who will likely set it up their walmart tent in the middle of what will become a river or puddle.

The one reason why an overnighter might be better situated to tent is they are gonna be heading home afterwards and can dry out the tent in the garage, while the thru hiker will be stuck with a wet tent.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Default "Overnighters" and "Section hikers"

I'm not saying you're wrong, but personally I'm willing to give up my space to someone who's gone through the effort to make a thru hike. I know Monday night (or whenever I get back), I'll be back in my bed.

I didn't say that they're more deserving, but I'll personally give up the space. Doesn't make me better or you worse or anything. It's just what I believe.
    Even if I agreed with your characterization and position regarding "overnighters," it still doesn't cover all "section hikers", some of whom hike 2 weeks, a month, 2 months. Why should these folks cede their space to thruhikers?

A few quick thoughts:

1. It's totally uncool to "hold" spaces for your friends who aren't there yet.
    2. In most circumstances, it's not cool to erect a tent in a shelter with other people in it.
    3. No one is entitled to a shelter spot based on what equipment they are carrying or not
    carrying, i.e. your decision to leave your tent at home does NOT entitle you to a
    shelter spot.
    4. Most folks don't want to see you naked. Use consideration and common sense when
    changing clothes.
    5. Most folks don't approve of public drug use in trail shelters, nor should you smoke
    tobacco products there, either
    6. It is perfectly OK to gently wake up a loud snorer, but people really sensitive to this
    kind of thing should probably avoid staying in shelters
    7. Private/personal hygienic stuff, even of a medical nature, should probably be performed
    behind a tree, i.e nobody wants to see your daily anti-chafing ritual from a distance
    of three feet.
    8. Avoid leaving food out when you go to sleep; it attracts all sorts of vermin
    9. When hanging a drying line or hanging up wet stuff, be sure your stuff isn't dripping
    on other folk's stuff or in their face
    10. When shifting or moving someone else's stuff, it's always nice to ask them first

Images

I think the exact opposite. Anyone planning to stay on the trail for 6 months should have their own shelter at all times. They should be competent in its employment. And if they hike long after others have quit hiking and made their own beds, then that hiker should also not make anyone feel obligated to unseat themselves for someone that could have stopped somewhere else earlier in the day.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yeah! I guess you guys are right (BLEEEEEEEEP) those (BLEEPEDY BLEEP BLEEP) thru hikers! They've been on the trail long enough and should be use to it.

I'm keeping my butt right here in this shelter and the HELL with you guys taking on one of the toughest things you'll ever do! First come first serve so kiss my hind parts.

SECTIONAL HIKERS RULE!! WHOOOO HOOO!

You nasty smelly thru hikers! I have zero respect for you and even though I'll be in my nice soft cozy bed a couple days after sitting on my lazy boy sipping my beer I don't give a crap! If you wanted the shelter you should have hiked your hind parts here quicker.

BTW, I'm not knocking any thru hiker's competence of setting up and deploying a kick butt light weight shelter system.

To me, it's a matter of respect to someone who trying to conquer a fair difficult task. That's all I'm saying.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++