WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bulldawg:

Re. your story:

Anyone who has hiked with me knows that I avoid shelters at all costs and very seldom stay in them. But if I were to arrive at a shelter on a rainy miserable night, and there was a tent up in it that was depriving people of needed space, well yeah, I'd probably say something about it.

And so, I suspect, would you.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I would help so that they get better and have their wits about them. when you are truly that hypothermic you won't remember a lot of things and I want you to remember the beat down and mocking you should get for not being able to keep an eye on one of the most basic of safety issues for back country travel.

And you better have your own shelter because after the public humiliation you are banished from the shelter for the night. No one shall speak your name you are officially shunned.
    I have only came upon one hiker who was in a hypothermic state. You are right she quite delirious. She didn't remember much of what happened. But we didn't mock her or try to humiliate her. We just did our best to save her life.

She had been hiking alone, tripped while crossing a stream, got herself completely soaked and busted up her knee. She had managed to get herself out of the stream, but not much further. We warmed her up and dried her off and then when she was warm enough and strong enough to travel I helped off the trail and then I drove her to the hospital. We were the only other ones on the trail that day. Had we not came along she would have died that night.

The closest thing I have ever done to mocking her is to tell her afterwards that it is dangerous to hike alone. Advice that she not only follows now but frequently preaches to others.

I have not shunned her, nor she shun us. In fact I attended her wedding and at her wedding along with her thanking her parents for giving her life, she thanked me and my kids for preserving it. I found that more meaningful than I would have by mocking her or giving her a beat down. But to each their own.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I have only came upon one hiker who was in a hypothermic state. You are right she quite delirious. She didn't remember much of what happened. But we didn't mock her or try to humiliate her. We just did our best to save her life.

She had been hiking alone, tripped while crossing a stream, got herself completely soaked and busted up her knee. She had managed to get herself out of the stream, but not much further. We warmed her up and dried her off and then when she was warm enough and strong enough to travel I helped off the trail and then I drove her to the hospital. We were the only other ones on the trail that day. Had we not came along she would have died that night.

The closest thing I have ever done to mocking her is to tell her afterwards that it is dangerous to hike alone. Advice that she not only follows now but frequently preaches to others.

I have not shunned her, nor she shun us. In fact I attended her wedding and at her wedding along with her thanking her parents for giving her life, she thanked me and my kids for preserving it. I found that more meaningful than I would have by mocking her or giving her a beat down. But to each their own.
    Well Excuse Me! I guess I have not yet elevated myself to your more saintly level and since I am still just a lowly heathen I will take this opportunity to instead mock and taunt you.

*in outrageous French accent* "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!, Come back again and I shall taunt you some more you English pig dog!"
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Bulldawg:

Re. your story:

Anyone who has hiked with me knows that I avoid shelters at all costs and very seldom stay in them. But if I were to arrive at a shelter on a rainy miserable night, and there was a tent up in it that was depriving people of needed space, well yeah, I'd probably say something about it.

And so, I suspect, would you.
    Nah, Jack, it was a tent spot man, not a spot in a shelter. I avoid the things except for cooking on the tables at night and hanging out if there is a fire.

Images

Default fireball stoves

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's nothin' wrong with cookin' in a shelter
    I generally don't have a problem with cooking in shelters, however, I have seen people spill fuel and turn their stoves into a huge fireball on more than one occasion, so, I kinda understand how it could be frowned upon.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and Don't pet the sweaty stuff!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    internets != real life

??????????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    internets != real life
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawgg View Post
    ??????????
    internet's not equal to real life
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    What are you talking about. . .internet IS real life!

:banana !

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post

How stupid of me! I should have checked with "Snopes" before posting...:O)

Chaco Taco's Shelter etiquette- avoid them if possible.

If it's rainy and cold get there early. Just got back form Springer and man was it wet an cold. Shelters filled up quick so we tented.

Anyways we try to make room for everyone.

Default common decency

Etiquette tip: Don't party loudly till long after midnight - singing, shouting, drinking, getting high, & being crass & vulgar - as Little Dipper and Joker did last night while others were trying to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Etiquette tip: Don't party loudly till long after midnight - singing, shouting, drinking, getting high, & being crass & vulgar - as Little Dipper and Joker did last night while others were trying to sleep.
    avoid shelter and tenting areas. problem eradicated.

Images

I am a snorer.

I don't like staying in shelters unless it's empty or just me and the kids and even then, I'd usually rather be in a tent. I often stop and have dinner at a shelter and sit around and talk with other hikers, but then right before dark I wander off and find a tent spot.

I however do not feel like the fact that I snore disqualifies me from using a shelter. If the weather conditions got dangerous I would get in and not apologize. If I'm in there first and somebody else can't take it, tough. People do all sorts of stuff to keep you awake besides snore. Snoring is just one thing.

The thing is, I volunteer on the trail, my whole family pays dues to the PATC and ATC. I have as much right to the shelter as anyone.

Other etiquette I wish all people would observe on the trail (in or out of shelters): refrain from cussing like sailors around my kids. Refrain from racist, sexist and dirty jokes around my kids. I'm trying to be a good dad by taking them out there, but a rare few groups make me wish I had taken them to the local bar instead.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

I don't think snoring should be a problem for anyone in a shelter. If you're staying in shelters and you don't carry earplugs, I don't have too much sympathy.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

El Sordo
    Images

I'll tell my wife that.
    Dyslexics Untie!

If I snored loud and often I wouldn't stay in a shelter w/ others.

Knowingly disturbing others while they try to sleep is just rude and inconsiderate.

Since I know lots of folks are inconsiderate of others- I solve the problem by tenting.
    Same w/ my dog. Shelter empty- no problem. Others in the shelter I don't know- we tent.

Well said, Lone Wolf. I may have to take that step, avoid shelter areas, and become more of a lone wolf myself.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    avoid shelter and tenting areas. problem eradicated.
    I can't stand mice running over me while I'm trying to sleep.

I totally avoid shelters - I'd rather tent in a torrential downpour than sleep in a shelter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++