WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Smokies in july

Default Smokies in july

Hey everybody, the only time i can go hiking is a in july, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the smokies are like in july in regards to:

people
    flowers
    weather
    etc

I will be hammocking and using (undecided) a jrb no sniveller as a top quilt and a warbonnet 3 season yeti as bottom insulation. Is this overkill? I dunno what to expect from the smokies in july since i've never been there at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ike1985 View Post
    Hey everybody, the only time i can go hiking is a in july, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the smokies are like in july in regards to:

people
    flowers
    weather
    etc

I will be hammocking and using (undecided) a jrb no sniveller as a top quilt and a warbonnet 3 season yeti as bottom insulation. Is this overkill? I dunno what to expect from the smokies in july since i've never been there at all.
    There will be people - mostly hikers
    July is past the flower season
    lows in the 50s/60s highs in the 80s/90s chance of thunderstorms
    good bed selection for this time of year
    I don't use bear spray We're not on the food chain of black bear the human voice is the best deterrent
    fires in fire rings only
    Hammocks are allowed at campsites
    forget the mittens & balaclava, this is July we're talking about. bring a lightweight stocking hat
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    There will be people - mostly hikers
    July is past the flower season
    lows in the 50s/60s highs in the 80s/90s chance of thunderstorms
    good bed selection for this time of year
    I don't use bear spray We're not on the food chain of black bear the human voice is the best deterrent
    fires in fire rings only
    Hammocks are allowed at campsites
    forget the mittens & balaclava, this is July we're talking about. bring a lightweight stocking hat
    My main insulation is probably going to be my montbell thermawrap if were expecting lows to be in the 50's. Stick with the 3 season yeti for the hammock, packa for weather protection + rain pants, 150wt merino baselayers bottoms for sleeping/possibly chilly night, merino/synthetic lightweight t's for hiking, nylon convertibles, smartwool phd's with coolmax liners x2, inov-8 shoes, synthetic undies x2, lightweight cap, that is most of my clothes off the top of my head.

++ New Posts ++