WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking 2004 ALDHA Gathering

It's here! It's here!

This year's ALDHA Gathering is October 8, 9, and 10 at Concord College in Athens, W.V.

http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm

ALDHA's home page:

www.aldha.org

A recent thread on where to stay:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=61288#post61288

I'll see you next year in New Hampshire, have a great time at the '04 Gathering everyone!

TJ
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Teej--

Thanx for posting those addresses.

Just wanted to let folks know that a bunch of us will be arriving at the fabulous and fabled Doyle Hotel in Duncannon on Thursday night, and overnighting there before proceeding to West Virginia the next morning. I hope that any Whiteblaze folks who live nearby or who are also en route consider joining us.

*There will be NO contra dancing at this event.

*Likewise, no drum circles.

*Political discussions are OK. Recitation of wretched political poetry of ANY
    persuasion is verboten, and will be grounds for immediate expulsion.

*Strict quiet hours in effect after 2:00 AM.

*Folks finding these rules and regulations too onerous are heartily advised
    to seek an alternative location.

Hope to see some of you there!!

Hello WBers,

My wife and I live very close to Concord College (walking distance), so we thought it would be nice to have any of the WBer’s attending the Gathering over for refreshments (soda, beer, and snacks) Sat. evening.

We can start anytime after 7:00. I would like this event to run from 7-11:00, as we have an eight month old. After 11, we would like for folks to make their way to either of the two main camping areas. I will probably head over to Bent Mountain Resort myself.

Of course, adult beverages are welcome. I would ask that no one make a bad impression upon returning to the College or the FLC from our home.

I have a couple of outside chairs (6), but no picnic table. If you’d like to sit outside, bring your camp chair or a blanket. We do have a fireplace inside though and room to spare for guests.

Anyone wishing to attend please let me know. I’ll post directions on the information board at the Gathering.

Alligator.

Have you ever seen a Walkin Jim concert? If not, you are missing something special. Why not start after the concert, at about 8:30?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker
    Have you ever seen a Walkin Jim concert? If not, you are missing something special. Why not start after the concert, at about 8:30?
    I haven't. Given the extensive schedule, I realized that unless I scheduled the event way late, that I would conflict with something. But given the following

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Walkin' Jim has been presented with the Environmental Protection Agency's Outstanding Achievement Award. Edward Abbey, the late author of many nature classics, described Stoltz as, "A music man of exuberance and passion." Stoltz's eight recordings get regular airplay on National Public Radio. He is a co-founder of Musicians United to Sustain the Environment.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=walkin%27+jim
    I will reschedule the WB get together to after the Walkin' Jim concert.

Images

I just printed the "extensive" schedule from the ALDHA site, and it appears to be a bit more sparse than in the last couple of years. Later on this evening I'm going to find schedules from 2000-2003 (they're in a box somewhere) and take a look. This may just be a misperception on my part, as quiet a few of the same events have been on the program every year, and I've already seen them. Or it may be that alot of ALDHA folks are New England based and chose not to make the drive south to do presentations. Anyhow, still very much looking forward to the weekend and seeing lots of old friends. Everyone drive safely!

"Extensive" in that on Sat., one could spend just about all day (from 8:30 a.m. to midnight) moving from event to event. (Events in all time spots.) No comparison was intended between past Gatherings. This is my first one.

"I just printed the "extensive" schedule from the ALDHA site, and it appears to be a bit more sparse than in the last couple of years. Later on this evening I'm going to find schedules from 2000-2003 (they're in a box somewhere) and take a look."

You're right - the southern Gatherings generally have fewer workshops than the Hanover Gatherings. I don't know why the northern folks volunteer more than the southerners. People complain because there aren't more workshops and because the ones that are scheduled are so crowded - but they don't take it upon themselves to step forward and offer to present a workshop of their own.

Of course, at Hanover people complain because there are too many options and they can't get to some of the workshops or slideshows they'd like to see. Hard to please everyone. But if you want more workshops - you know what you have to do.

Images

Hey, this certainly may work to the advantage of those going to the Gathering this weekend. I thought that last years Gathering in Hanover was great, but regrettbly there was too much to do. I simply had to pick and choose what appealed the most. Often there were 2 or 3 great presentations going on at once. I really regret that I won't be able to attend Mag's presentation on the PCT as I'm gearing up for the long haul in either 05 or 06. It be great if anyone who goes to this workshop could report back and give some feedback regarding the info they learned.

Have fun all
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I was planning on going and giving a GDT slide show, but timing just isn't working out. I'd like to see some of the friends I made on the AT this summer and hear about the end of their trek, but with a 5 hour flight and 3 hour time change, I'd spend about 28 hours on the ground before having to come back. So, sadly, I'll go scramble in the Olympics.

Default Gathering 2004 program

As to the program, for a ten dollar registration fee for the entire weekend and an all-volunteer organization, the 23rd Annual ALDHA Gathering program looks pretty good to me!!! Not only is it pretty good, I think it is amazing. Thanks to all the workshop presenters for sharing their talents and experiences with the ALDHA tribe. I hope all have a safe trip to Pipestem.

PS - Alligator, I admire your hospitality to the WB's and I hope your neighbors do too! I hope nothing occurs at your shindig to hurt all the folks who will be dancing and watching the dancing from 9-midnight in the College Student Center Ballroom. Please remember that Concord College frowns upon intoxicated individuals on campus and we, the dancers and dance audience, will frown as well.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Where does one go Friday afternoon to check in, sign up, pay etc.? Where is the Friday night opening ceremony. The Folk Life Center and the college are two different places?

Default Answers to Lone Wolf's questions.

Registration is at the folklife center in Pipestem from noon-5pm on Friday.
    The registration table will then move to the lobby of the Alexander Arts Center on the Concord University campus from 6-7pm where the evening program starts at 7pm.

Registration will continue back at the folklife center from 11-midnight Friday evening.

Registration on Saturday will be from 8am-4:30pm on the main floor of the Concord College Student Center.

Directions to both locations are on the ALDHA website - www.aldha.org
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Thanks for the info.

You can pull up the schedule and maps on the ALDHA website.

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    PS - Alligator, I admire your hospitality to the WB's and I hope your neighbors do too! I hope nothing occurs at your shindig to hurt all the folks who will be dancing and watching the dancing from 9-midnight in the College Student Center Ballroom. Please remember that Concord College frowns upon intoxicated individuals on campus and we, the dancers and dance audience, will frown as well.
    You mean the nice couple that lives in the BIG house on the corner. I used to stop and chat with the missus while walking my dog. She's a very sunny person. The only bad thing I can think of that might happen to the folks in the ballroom is that a certain person's ears might be burning . Otherwise, I believe that our invitation clearly indicates that this is a socially responsible get together. So come on out WBer's!

Default Southern Appalachians Initiative

At the Gathering, I will be giving a presentation on Saturday at 1:00 PM on the Southern Appalchians Initiative. This is a joint project of American Hiking Society and the National Park Service that seeks to complete a 5,000-mile interconnected network of hiking trails in the Southeast.

With me will be representatives from the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association, Cumberland Trail Conference, and the Pine Mountain Trail Conference. We'll be discussing the creation of a Western Appalachian Alternative - a long distance trail that will run parallel to the AT - to the west. I will also be providing an overview of the existing & proposed trail system in the SE.

Please attend if you can, or drop by and say hello if you plan to attend a different session. I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can.

Jeffrey Hunter
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    I hope nothing occurs at your shindig to hurt all the folks who will be dancing and watching the dancing from 9-midnight in the College Student Center Ballroom.
    If the police show up, you can bet it was Warren Doyle who called them.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    If the police show up, you can bet it was Warren Doyle who called them.
    Hehehe. I'll be on the lookout, but the town officer may be off tomorrow.

I know it's getting late and some of you may actually be here, but we have a drive-in at Pipestem. http://driveins.4t.com/wv-athens-pipestem.htm

Any folks staying over on Sunday, it's $8 or $9 a carload on Sundays for the double feature. Movie starts at dusk. Might be the last weekend they are open.

Thanks to Alligator and his lovely wife for the open invite to Whiteblaze.netters to gather in their home last night for food and beverage. Mags and I were the only attendees. Too bad more didn't attend. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++