WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT Documentary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    Outstanding job Tuts! This is better than some AT videos that I've purchased. Thanks so much for sharing.
    i thought the same.

Tuts,

I finished watching the doc... very good stuff. I have to say one of my favorite parts of the whole thing was the attitude shift from pre-hike to post-hike. Post-hike you were much more flexible in your ideas of what to bring/not bring, and your general mood you seemed a lot more relaxed and happy.

Really enjoyed the whole thing overall, and the one thing I'd like to see more of is why you pulled off the trail, and what got you to go back on the trail and finish.

On a side note, MA almost did me in too... I threw a hissy fit on the trail in MA (a serious hissy fit, including throwing hiking poles and swearing) and backtracked to the nearest road where I hitched into town and almost quit... I spent a whole day sitting in a coffee shop watching cars go by, but finally decided that finishing the trail was worth another shot. Glad I did, because from that point forward the trail got much more fun for me.

Seriously good stuff man. Look forward to more of your work in the future!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Great video, congrats! just wanted to ask, why did you get off the trail?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    On a side note, MA almost did me in too... I threw a hissy fit on the trail in MA (a serious hissy fit, including throwing hiking poles and swearing) and backtracked to the nearest road where I hitched into town and almost quit... I spent a whole day sitting in a coffee shop watching cars go by, but finally decided that finishing the trail was worth another shot. Glad I did, because from that point forward the trail got much more fun for me.

Reminds me of the "rule" that you never act on a major decision at the time you make it. For the AT, I've heard it stated: "Hike one more week after deciding to quit." Amazing how one's perception changes with the passage of just a little time.

I'm enjoying the videos, though started out watching the one that popped up when I clicked on the link, so I "wasted" some time watching a vid that have nothing to do with the AT. Oh well. Thanks for sharing!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Reminds me of the "rule" that you never act on a major decision at the time you make it. For the AT, I've heard it stated: "Hike one more week after deciding to quit."
    So true. It's amazing what just a little time will do to fix things.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

This is the best trail journal I've come across. Great job. Thanks very much for sharing your skills and your hike.

I have to admit I was a little put off by the the offhanded comment in one of the first videos that [paraphrasing] "...if you have money, then I don't like you..." (eh, and I don't have a ton of money, by the way). But I watched the rest of the clips and realized it was just kind of a quip that I had probably interpreted too literally, and I enjoyed the whole rest of the series of videos.

Images

I thought the documentry was well done. I haven't seen many video documentaries but this was the most organized that I've seen. Nice Job!

Watching now

Thank you all so much, I really didn't think it would get this much attention. I'll talk more about why I got off the trail probably when I do the Long Trail in June. Right now, all I really want to do is get back out there.
    Rick, yeah I do that from time to time. If I offended you then I truly appologize. Sometimes I just try to be funny lol, doesn't work out that great all the time.
    Ender and Rain Man, I'll definetly explain all the reasons/excuses I had in my head for getting off the trail.
    When I do my next gear section for the LT it should show how much higher my safety level is with being a true minimalist instead of just an ultraliter. BTW... some minimalists cut down their toothbrushes to save weight... I just don't bother even bringing one. The WORLD is my toothbrush. So indeed, I got more flexible with gear as I became more comfortable with being able to make the shelters and so on. Thanks everyone again for posting and viewing. You guys ROCK.

No, no, no offense taken, just didn't get it how it was intended at first. It's all good!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    I have to admit I was a little put off by the the offhanded comment in one of the first videos that [paraphrasing] "...if you have money, then I don't like you..." (eh, and I don't have a ton of money, by the way). But I watched the rest of the clips and realized it was just kind of a quip that I had probably interpreted too literally, and I enjoyed the whole rest of the series of videos.
    It's a good thing that a sense of humor is free.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    Ender and Rain Man, I'll definetly explain all the reasons/excuses I had in my head for getting off the trail.
    What did I do to get dragged into this?! LOL Truly, I wasn't asking for an explanation, was just "drifting" from Ender's comment, as I recall.

Now, I will admit that I did cringe every time I heard you call a sleeping pad a crash pad! Could get some kid rock climber hurt, if they took your description seriously. Yikes!

I'm still watching, and enjoying, the videos! Thanks again for sharing!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Was a good Doc watched it as Tutts went along with his hike Only thing buddy I was shocked since you were trying UL and didn't cut your hair to save a few onces lol
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    It's a good thing that a sense of humor is free.
    I believe that's the first time anyone has ever accused me of not having a sense of humor.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Thanks for sharing.

currently at work so only got to see just a little bit of one episode.

will watch the rest at home tonight.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Was a good Doc watched it as Tutts went along with his hike Only thing buddy I was shocked since you were trying UL and didn't cut your hair to save a few onces lol
    Lol yeah I do like to rock the hair from time to time. I didn't really feel the weight of it, but it did get in my way a lot. I'm much happier with shorter hair. Hmm, perhaps I'll do something about that in a later vid.

I can't say enough how important the thru-hike videos were for me. I watched them right when I'd been getting stressed out about preparations and worrying about post-hike life this fall. I've been looking all over for good thru videos and this is the first really comprehensive, helpful, and just plain good series I've found. I could see a lot of prospective and prepping thru-hikers paying for a DVD of this.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Great videos, what shell did you use and how did you like it?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    Great videos, what shell did you use and how did you like it?
    Sorry I missed thos one. I don't know exactly which style of jacket it is, but I do know that it's a 3in1 jacket system with a zip in fleece. Once the weather warmed up, I found it too heavy and bought a very light north face rain coat instead. This is not for warmer weather.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++