WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    Sorry I missed thos one. I don't know exactly which style of jacket it is, but I do know that it's a 3in1 jacket system with a zip in fleece. Once the weather warmed up, I found it too heavy and bought a very light north face rain coat instead. This is not for warmer weather.
    Nice job with the vids, Tuts, and congratulations on completing your goal.
    Roland

Journal Entries
    Images

Great job Tuts! I watched them all over 2 days.

Let us know when you put your LT hike up.

Images

I actually just watched them for the second time. You could definitely make some coin off these, kudos for posting them for us all to see.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Thumbs up

A picture is worth a thousand words. And these videos prove it. I've hiked about a third of the AT and have read dozens of books about the AT. Yet you SHOWED me places that others only talk about. Seeing the actual terrain and actual sites was just wonderful.

Thanks for sharing!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Once again, I want to thank you for all your kind words and just as asked I am letting you know that my Vermont Long Trail documentary is up on the youtube page now... as well as on my website. www.youtube.com/tuts999 and www.trekkingon.com Let me know what you think. Thanks to all.
    Tuts

I will be sure to watch your new videos. I checked your site out too. nice job. I added a link to it on my site. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

Images

I started watching your AT videos today. I really like them. I can't believe you only had a 40* sleeping bag and no stove when you started out. Must have froze your ass off. You started in February, right? I'm at the part when you get to Tennessee.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Glad to see a scout uniform. what coucil?
    Peace.....

Just started watching the Vermont videos. Makes me want to go hike it.

I'm curious as to what you used to mount your camera to shoot video as you were hiking. (Apologies if you already explained it in a video...I haven't watched them all yet.)

Thanks for posting; it's the first video I've seen of the Long Trail and it really is beautiful.

iirc, he used the StickPic. Found here for $11.99:

http://www.thestickpic.com/

Just finished watching all the videos and enjoyed them very much. I'd really like to hear a post trip gear evaluation. Of the gear selection you spoke of in the early videos, how much of that would you still recommend? You did mail some items home, can you explain how your gear selections changed once you had a few trail miles under your belt? Overall, you seemed to plan well, but can you point out any planning mistakes or things your would do different if you were to hike the AT again?

How many pairs of boots did you go through? What percentage of time were you alone on the trail? Based on the videos, you appeared to be very much on your own all the time. I would have assumed that there would have been an entire network of thru-hikers that you would have migrated north with.

Again, really entertaining and informative videos. The narrative got better as you went along, it seemed like you became more comfortable talking into a camera after a while. I liked it when you offered your true and unvarnished opinion regarding the unnecessarily rocky terrain through Pennsylvania. Did you see any Rattlesnakes?

Keep on Keepin' on...
    Better to dare mighty things, win glorious triumphs, than take rank with those who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    iirc, he used the StickPic. Found here for $11.99:

http://www.thestickpic.com/
    Incorrect, I used only my hand. The only mount I used was my trusty gorilla pod for ground and tree based shots. When I filmed myself it was with only my hand. Please do not put words in my mouth.
    Tuts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    Just started watching the Vermont videos. Makes me want to go hike it.

I'm curious as to what you used to mount your camera to shoot video as you were hiking. (Apologies if you already explained it in a video...I haven't watched them all yet.)

Thanks for posting; it's the first video I've seen of the Long Trail and it really is beautiful.
    Thank you so much for your kind words Rick. I plan on doing a segment on my next adventure explaining a lot about how I do all this. For head shots while I walk, I use only my hand but for tree or ground based shots, I have a small gorillapod. It works really great.
    Tuts

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I started watching your AT videos today. I really like them. I can't believe you only had a 40* sleeping bag and no stove when you started out. Must have froze your ass off. You started in February, right? I'm at the part when you get to Tennessee.
    I really didn't miss having hot food (though I did have a few really cold nights at first). When I made my stove, though, my pack got considerably lighter and I got quite used to having some hot food with me. Good luck in Tennessee.
    Tuts

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    Glad to see a scout uniform. what coucil?
    Peace.....
    Thanks, I was hoping someone would notice. That uniform is for Boston Minuteman Council, which is the council of the camp I work at in the summer. T.L. Storer Scout Camp.
    Tuts

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Just finished watching all the videos and enjoyed them very much. I'd really like to hear a post trip gear evaluation. Of the gear selection you spoke of in the early videos, how much of that would you still recommend? You did mail some items home, can you explain how your gear selections changed once you had a few trail miles under your belt? Overall, you seemed to plan well, but can you point out any planning mistakes or things your would do different if you were to hike the AT again?

How many pairs of boots did you go through? What percentage of time were you alone on the trail? Based on the videos, you appeared to be very much on your own all the time. I would have assumed that there would have been an entire network of thru-hikers that you would have migrated north with.

Again, really entertaining and informative videos. The narrative got better as you went along, it seemed like you became more comfortable talking into a camera after a while. I liked it when you offered your true and unvarnished opinion regarding the unnecessarily rocky terrain through Pennsylvania. Did you see any Rattlesnakes?

Keep on Keepin' on...
    Wow, that's a whole lot of stuff... let me see how much of it I can answer.
    I did not post a gear eval or recap at the end and I feel it would be sort of fake to make one now. Instead, I'm going to do a new backpacking gear video about how my strategy has evolved overtime so that I don't have to keep doing a gear section at the start of all my adventure videos. I should explain a lot about the things you are asking during that.
    During my hike, I spent the vast majority of my time alone, while at night there were generally people at the shelters... at first. I met tons of people but didn't really want to film in front of them. Most of them didn't even know I was filming my hike. I started off so early in the season, that there were very few thru-hikers on the trail. When I passed the mid point I think I was something like number 8 or something. It was a bit too early for rattlesnakes even when I got as far north as Penn.
    If there are any more questions feel free to ask... All I want to do is get the info I have out to all for free... that's my goal.
    Tuts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    I really didn't miss having hot food (though I did have a few really cold nights at first). When I made my stove, though, my pack got considerably lighter and I got quite used to having some hot food with me. Good luck in Tennessee.
    Tuts
    So you think your pack got lighter with a stove? Actually, when I said I was at the part when you were in TN, I meant I was at that part in your video lol. I'm thru-hiking next year.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    So you think your pack got lighter with a stove? Actually, when I said I was at the part when you were in TN, I meant I was at that part in your video lol. I'm thru-hiking next year.
    Oh I see. Yeah my pack weight got considerably lighter with the addition of the stove. My food became ramen soup and oatmeal. That seriously cut my food weight.
    Tuts

Images

I liked the self videoing of yourself hiking. I've done that as well. Only bad thing, maybe, is that one has to back track to get their camera. That just means one gets to hike the portion of trail at least 3 times!

SMSP

Loved your vids tuts.
    Took me about 3 days to watch all the way through.
    Lots of great info. I think your perfect job would be as a host similar to Les Stroud. I would watch your show every week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++