WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Heineken Pot Liner removal

Do you need to remove the inside coating from a heineken can? If so what is the best way to do this? Could the coating effect boil times? I am using a popular stove designed for the heineken can and can not get it to boil. I am using cold tap water, the fuel is room temp, and testing is done indoors. 1oz of fuel.
    The Big J

Images

This has been discussed extensively elsewhere, but the consensus is split 50/50 between Yes the liner is bad for you & No it will do no harm.
    My opinion (I'm a leave it in voter) is: the beer is packaged warm (if not hot) & the liner is food grade so,,,,,,,
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big J View Post
    Do you need to remove the inside coating from a heineken can? If so what is the best way to do this? Could the coating effect boil times? I am using a popular stove designed for the heineken can and can not get it to boil. I am using cold tap water, the fuel is room temp, and testing is done indoors. 1oz of fuel.
    use a fancy feast stove like Knotty makes, that is the one I use, boils 2 cups water using less than a oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    This has been discussed extensively elsewhere, but the consensus is split 50/50 between Yes the liner is bad for you & No it will do no harm.
    My opinion (I'm a leave it in voter) is: the beer is packaged warm (if not hot) & the liner is food grade so,,,,,,,
    As a guy that used to package beer, beer is packaged cold, as close to 32F as possible. But it usually then pasteurized at 160-180F.

So that said, I agree with you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    As a guy that used to package beer, beer is packaged cold, as close to 32F as possible. But it usually then pasteurized at 160-180F.

So that said, I agree with you.
    OH! OK! I has been misinformed. Or more likely mis-remembered: I knew heat was involved, somehow I thought the beer was put in hot. Canned food is done the same way, then cooked in the can, but I also had the food going in hot, but it too is done cool or cold.

I still stand by my decision.

Images

I had no trouble with getting a boil with mine. Little over 6 min, mite be the stove you are using.

Regardless of whether anything's gonna leach out of the liner at cooking temperatures, I just have a hard time thinking that the amount of whatever it may be, will be enough to cause any harm. I may be wrong, of course...I think I may have been wrong once before.

Thanks for the opinions on the can liner. I agree, I will keep the liner in. Tried using my new stove again last night. This time I was able to acheive a boil. I did not do anything different then the previous day, but it worked. I really like the idea of the Heineken pot I have a pot and mug in one. Will kevlar cord wrapped around the center area of the Heineken can allow me to hold it while hot. I see some people using exhaust wrap, but it comes in like 20 foot roles and is not cheap.
    The Big J

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken209 View Post
    use a fancy feast stove like Knotty makes, that is the one I use, boils 2 cups water using less than a oz.
    I agree, the one that Knotty makes is cool, makes it look easy. Works well, holds 3 ounces of fuel.

Images

Many cans contain liners that contain BPA and presumably that's true of the Heineken cans. Using a can with a liner as a pot would increase the amount of BPA transferred to its contents because of heat and scratching by utensils.

BPA acts like an artificial hormone. There is some controversy on its health effects, but it seems wise to minimize exposure, especially for infants, young children and pregnant women. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Images

Thanks for the opinions on the can liner. I agree, I will keep the liner in. Tried using my new stove again last night. This time I was able to acheive a boil. I did not do anything different then the previous day, but it worked. I really like the idea of the Heineken pot I have a pot and mug in one. Will kevlar cord wrapped around the center area of the Heineken can allow me to hold it while hot. I see some people using exhaust wrap, but it comes in like 20 foot roles and is not cheap.
    I think the kevlar will melt. Somewhere here at WB is directions for wrapping torch wicking around a Heineken can. That stuff is made to not burn. Can't even melt the ends after cutting it.

A web site for the wicking was at: http://www.flammaaeterna.com/
    But I can't get it to load, maybe you will have better luck with it (my puter is OLD)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I think the kevlar will melt. Somewhere here at WB is directions for wrapping torch wicking around a Heineken can. That stuff is made to not burn. Can't even melt the ends after cutting it.

A web site for the wicking was at: http://www.flammaaeterna.com/
    But I can't get it to load, maybe you will have better luck with it (my puter is OLD)
    I put a bail on mine, used a hole punch and a piece of wire. Works great.

Images

does anyone here eat outta' their heineken pot? would this practice be any different from eating out of a aluminum grease pot? i kind of doubt the grease pot has any kind of liner tho' so maybe i am answering my own question?

i read somewhere and was also told you should boil water in the heiney pot several times before use to remove the liner? i did just this and the only noticeable difference was that the outside of the can became somewhat tarnished? i actually boiled the can in a big pot of water! this tarnished appearance is exactly how the inside of my grease pot looks after much use.

oh, and i can usually get 2 cups to boil on 1/2 oz. with a starlyte.

Where can I see, or get directions for the fancy feast stove Knotty makes.
    The Big J

Images

Where can I see, or get directions for the fancy feast stove Knotty makes.
    hammock forums. view the said stove in his photo gallery.

Images

Credit where credit is due. The Fancee Feest is my favorite stove and I posted some info on how to make one. Zelph is the one who invented it and you may be able to buy one from him at bplite if you don't want to go the DIY route.

++ New Posts ++