WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Alpine Style Thru-Hiking"

I just read up on GoLite founder's unsupported and unresupplied thru hike of the Long Trail and of the Colorado Trail. What are peoples thoughts of this?

To me, it's moot and bobo and I wonder if the guy wants a cookie.

HYOH

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Alpine style hiking

To each their own...

Seems to be the antithesis of lightweight backpacking (carrying 50 lbs to start!), but whatever works.

Like many, if not most hiking "records", all but the most notable will fade away. These records usually only matter to a small sub-set of our already small group.

Earl Shaffer will be remembered. Flyin Brian will be remembered. Grandma Gatewood, etc. But someone who carried a lot of food for 20 days? Only a few people will remember the dude.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Is it difficult to resupply on these trails? If not, its no big deal. I'm still not sure what "Alpine style hiking" means.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

American Idiot
    Images

Sounds like his 'alpine' is what was in the first post, no resupplies or support. So did he carry his own water too?
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Alpine style hiking

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    Is it difficult to resupply on these trails? If not, its no big deal. I'm still not sure what "Alpine style hiking" means.

According to the web site, it means carrying all the food and supplies you need from the start. No going to town to get more food. No stopping in at a deli for that sandwhich, etc.

It basically means, despite all the hyperbole in the press releases and articles, carrying a whole bunch of food at once. He carried 20 days worth of dried fruit, nuts, etc.

No thanks!

Re-supplyoing anywhere on a trail in the lower 48 ain't that difficult. No so difficult you have to go nearly 500 miles w/o a a re-supply.

As I said, to each their own.

Default from Coup's trail journal

"Sunday morning we met up with a woman who had flown in from San Francisco just to hike with Coup for a few hours to show him her proprietary backpack design - now that's dedication! Terry and her friend, Orlan, hiked with Coup half of Sunday from Route 91 in Copper up over Goldhill to Hwy-9 north of Breckenridge. Unfortunately, trail markings were again scant, so the three of them wandered through bike trails off the CT and hiked 4 extra miles finding themselves somewhere closer to Frisco. Coup and company hiked south to reconnect with the trail and then parted company."

If Coup got lost and had to hike 4 miles back to the trail should be get the completion patch?

BTW the guys name is Orlyn and he is a very experienced orienteerer.

I can see the appeal of that type of journey. Not saying I'm planning to do that myself, but the idea of seeing how far you can travel without support, seeing what your limits are has a certain appeal. I think he did pretty well. Do you know if he ate any wild edibles along the way? Some day I want to do a long canoe journey where I'm way, way out there.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs
    I just read up on GoLite founder's unsupported and unresupplied thru hike of the Long Trail and of the Colorado Trail. What are peoples thoughts of this?

To me, it's moot and bobo and I wonder if the guy wants a cookie.

HYOH
    I have a friend who hiked all the AT in Mass. with no pants. I believe that is a much more impressive accomplishment.

Default TedB...

"Some day I want to do a long canoe journey where I'm way, way out there."

A friend of my parents kayaked the entire Mississippi River from its source in Minnesota to New Orleans. His wife drove an RV as support, meeting up with him every few days along the way at prearranged points. He made a yoke so that he could portage the kayak and all his gear when necessary, and kept it in the kayak as he made his trip. His name is Gene Osmondson, and the book he wrote about is entitled "Odd Ones Never Quit". You may wish to take a look at it.

tideblazer
    Images

sounds pretty cool to me.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    A friend of my parents kayaked the entire Mississippi River from its source in Minnesota to New Orleans. His wife drove an RV as support, meeting up with him every few days along the way at prearranged points. He made a yoke so that he could portage the kayak and all his gear when necessary, and kept it in the kayak as he made his trip. His name is Gene Osmondson, and the book he wrote about is entitled "Odd Ones Never Quit". You may wish to take a look at it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Colter has a nice write up on his journey down the Mississippi by canoe. I might build myself a raft and light out for the territory like ol' Tom Sayer and Hucklebery Finn. I also really enjoyed Dave's Outdoor Adventure Page where he describes his journey down the Yukon in a folding kayak. I don't have the skills needed to tackle that river yet, but the Yukon would be quite an adventure.

Images

Ah yes Coop. Never met him, but he certainly made his presence known in EVERY Long Trail register I've seen with his "Alpine Style, no resupply or assistance" trademark and would write something like "1 1/2 days down, 6 1/2 days to go".

To each their own
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default I don't think you want to travel the Miss. on a RAFT, TedB...

Mr. Osmondson had several close calls with barges and other large river craft, and he was in a highly maneuverable (very steerable) small boat. A kayak does not easily sink, and if you turn over, it's possible to just flip back up and keep all your gear, not sink, etc.

You are a right, a raft alone just won't cut it. I'll add Jim Bean to the supply list.

Does it still count if you suppliment your diet with shelter mice?

++ New Posts ++