WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    In my opinion, the deli at the grocers in Salisbury is one of the best on the trail.
    I can't say for the whole trail, but that deli is legit! Huge subs, great cuts of meat and veggies, and cheap to boot!
    -milkman

got soul?

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

id recommend a maildrop to fontana damn. I spent twice there what the same amount of food would have cost me at a regular grocery store. Ramen itself was 50 + cents a pack.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

It has been a few years but most towns in Maine are spotty regarding food resupply. Rangeley was the exception having a larger grocery store. Monson was fair but don't expect great selection.

It must be tough for SOBO's because I cannot think of any outfitters along the trail in Maine.

I used Jack's suggested list of drops and re supplies last year (2009) on my thru hike and found it to be very accurate and convenient. Also,I agree, avoid Kent (rich little preppy town with a few private schools) and keep going to West Cornwall (10 miles) and either use a mail drop or the general store. There is also a small outfitter there right across the street dealing mostly in kayaking and fishing items but will still have the basics you will need.
    The general store there has great deli sandwiches and ice cream and will let you lounge on the porch or on the picnic table under the big tree. great place to dry out and re-organize your pack.

Lybarger is correct. Monson is sparse with the selection but think about it..... If your NoBo then all your looking at is the 100 mile wilderness. Stay at Shaw's, eat the breat breakfast, do laundry andgo to the BP station down down and load up on Texas style honey buns, cup cakes candy bars, etc. I even took canned Ravioli. It only 5 1/2 days until your at Katahdin Stream campground getting ready for the big climb.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Probably has chaged since 2003 ...but back then the hardest places to find decent resupply (without a bus ride or shuttle) were:

Glencliff, NH
    Bear Mountain, NY
    Harpers Ferry, WV

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

There is a bus in Harpers Ferry that you can hop on that takes you to a Super Wal-Mart in the next town if you can't get a ride. A lot of hikers spend some time in Harpers Ferry anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 65 View Post
    I used Jack's suggested list of drops and re supplies last year (2009) on my thru hike and found it to be very accurate and convenient. Also,I agree, avoid Kent (rich little preppy town with a few private schools) and keep going to West Cornwall (10 miles) and either use a mail drop or the general store. There is also a small outfitter there right across the street dealing mostly in kayaking and fishing items but will still have the basics you will need.
    The general store there has great deli sandwiches and ice cream and will let you lounge on the porch or on the picnic table under the big tree. great place to dry out and re-organize your pack.
    The town is Cornwall Bridge and I think the package store will give a free beer to thru hikers.

My bad, you are correct..... Cornwall Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    It has been a few years but most towns in Maine are spotty regarding food resupply. Rangeley was the exception having a larger grocery store. Monson was fair but don't expect great selection.

It must be tough for SOBO's because I cannot think of any outfitters along the trail in Maine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 65 View Post
    Lybarger is correct. Monson is sparse with the selection but think about it..... If your NoBo then all your looking at is the 100 mile wilderness. Stay at Shaw's, eat the breat breakfast, do laundry andgo to the BP station down down and load up on Texas style honey buns, cup cakes candy bars, etc. I even took canned Ravioli. It only 5 1/2 days until your at Katahdin Stream campground getting ready for the big climb.
    shaw's itself is expanding the resupply kept at the house and someone at shaw's is always glad to run you to greenville, where there is a full size grocery and an outfitter if we don't have what you need

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Buena Vista, VA

If all you need is a long term resupply, Buena Vista may not be the place to stop unless you plan to stay over, or you have a ride. The Food Lion and the CVS are at the top of a pretty long hill on U.S. 60. There are several good places to eat, 2 motels, and the library is pretty liberal with letting hikers use their computers to check e-mail and update journals and blogs.l
    Last edited by Tuney; 05-03-2010 at 17:43. Reason: correct spelling.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Is Fontana Village the same as Fonatana Dam?

Going SoBo, is it really a problem not having an outfitter in Maine? Most of my equipment is new and tested so I shouldnt need to replace too much gear.

The town that is 10 miles up from Kent, is that right off the trail/easy to find or do I need to hitch from Kent?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

SOBO -make sure your gear is set which it sounds like it is. That's the challenge of going that direction.

Are you talking about Salisbury, CT? If so, its right down the road. Resupply with grocery store.

Fontana Village is different from the dam

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++