WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

every town on the trail is a wonderful new exsploration of cultures and peoples. worst? none.
    matthewski

He's asking about resupply Matty.
    Obviously, Cloverdale VA is better than Carabasset, ME in this regard. (although I'd much rather be in the latter for other reasons)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    *Bear MT. NY assuming the P.O. is operational

I used Bear Mountain, NY for a mail drop last year. It was operational. It did have limited, quirky hours. I picked up on the last Friday of the summer hours (August 28th going SOBO). It is a tiny post office that is in the back of an older warehouse / maintenance building for the state park. I had to ask a parking lot attendant to find it. Having said all this, it was super convenient. The Fort Montgomery, NY post office is close by (a bit further off of the trail) and has longer hours of operation. So, anyone concerned about the more limited hours of the Bear Mountain post office could use the Fort Montgomery post office instead.

Wow, no mention of Glasgow, VA? That was the worst place during my hike. Hard to get a hitch and there wasn't much there. Port Clinton is a good town if you can get a hitch a few miles up the road to an awesome grocery store that seemed to have everything. The outfitter there may even shuttle you.
    At DWG the outfitter ran a shuttle into town to a good grocery store.
    Don't think anyone goes here but if you go 30 miles past Harper's Ferry Smithburg, MD had a Food Lion. I walked it and still remember how to get there if anyone cares.

OK here is what Ive gathered from the posts on here- again, the goal is to find the towns that have the worst resupply options with in the town so it would be best to have a mail drop sent there.

Andover, ME
    Caratunk, ME- send to Northern Outdoor Center, no PO
    Port Clinton, PA
    Pen Mar, PA
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Kent, CT
    NOC, NC
    Fontana Village, NC
    Bear Mountain, NY

Are any of these too repetitive, too close or unnecessary?

Thanks team!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've heard Glencliff is the absolute worst of the worse - is this true?

As of right now, this is the only maildrop I'm planning between Bear Mt. and Katahdin..

Glencliff, NH is a great stop! packrat always drove us to dinner, and groceries, and some sweet swimming holes
    the post office right across the street is a good place to get your cold weather gear back,and a drop if desired. packrat keeps a few food items on hand at the hostel, unless things have changed

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've heard Glencliff is the absolute worst of the worse - is this true?

As of right now, this is the only maildrop I'm planning between Bear Mt. and Katahdin..

There is no resupply in Glencliff. There is a great, if eclectic, hostel in Glencliff - Hikers Welcome. For about $3 per person, they will shuttle their guests to the next town for limited resupply (convenience store). The post office is across the street from the hostel. It is a small post office which looks to be attached to the end of someone's house. It has odd hours. I was there on a weekday and I believe it is closed from 12:00 to 2:00 on weekdays. I don't know if it has Saturday hours. Glencliff is a great place for a mail drop. Just don't plan to blow through mid-day with a quick stop at the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    OK here is what Ive gathered from the posts on here- again, the goal is to find the towns that have the worst resupply options with in the town so it would be best to have a mail drop sent there.

Andover, ME
    Caratunk, ME- send to Northern Outdoor Center, no PO
    Port Clinton, PA
    Pen Mar, PA
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Kent, CT
    NOC, NC
    Fontana Village, NC
    Bear Mountain, NY

Are any of these too repetitive, too close or unnecessary?

Thanks team!
    Kent has a great grocery store, an IGA, right next to the Post Office. Don't know why you would even consider a drop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Kent has a great grocery store, an IGA, right next to the Post Office. Don't know why you would even consider a drop there.
    i agree. kent is a great town for resupply. don't understand all the whinin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i agree. kent is a great town for resupply. don't understand all the whinin'
    What about Salisbury - it's just a day and a half up the trail... I wasn't planning on making Kent a major resupply stop.

But... since we're talking about Kent - is there a place to shower and wash clothes there?

What about Salisbury - it's just a day and a half up the trail... I wasn't planning on making Kent a major resupply stop.

But... since we're talking about Kent - is there a place to shower and wash clothes there?
    Kent may be better than Salisbury as far as prices. If you want a particular brand of capers you'd better off in Salisbury, though. Why not resupply both places since you're going to go into town to eat anyway and carry a light load for a day or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Kent may be better than Salisbury as far as prices. If you want a particular brand of capers you'd better off in Salisbury, though. Why not resupply both places since you're going go into town to eat anyway and carry a light load for a day or two?
    That's the plan! I was planning on just getting enough in Kent to make it to Salisbury rather than loading up in Kent.

Well, when you get to U.S. 7 in Mass don't miss the Corn Crib. They have fresh fruit and vegetables, soda, and ice cream! Right there to the left of the trail, looks like a plant nursery. Nice people, too.

There's a laundromat not far from the IGA.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

In my opinion, the deli at the grocers in Salisbury is one of the best on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    There is no resupply in Glencliff. There is a great, if eclectic, hostel in Glencliff - Hikers Welcome. For about $3 per person, they will shuttle their guests to the next town for limited resupply (convenience store). The post office is across the street from the hostel. It is a small post office which looks to be attached to the end of someone's house. It has odd hours. I was there on a weekday and I believe it is closed from 12:00 to 2:00 on weekdays. I don't know if it has Saturday hours. Glencliff is a great place for a mail drop. Just don't plan to blow through mid-day with a quick stop at the post office.
    It was across the street?? My mind is blown. I never even noticed it while staying at the hostel which has very nice hosts by the way. I think I bought some snacks here and hiked the next day past Moosilauke and onto the interstate crossing where I hitched into North Woodstock for food and a Gregory replacement pack that never showed up but that's another story.

Images

I resupplied at the grocery store in Kent and had no problems. Kent is actually a nice town. Bookstore, icecream shop...I rather enjoyed Kent.

Journal Entries

If you stop at DWG, check out a place called "Dough Boys of the Poconos" pizza and sandwiches on route 611 just south of the I-80 interchange (on the PA side), the corner of Broad and Main st.
    They have the best pizza and hot & cold heroes, subs, whatever.
    The last time I was there was back around 2000, so check with someone who has been more recently to confirm that they still exist.
    The town was flooded sometime during the early 2,000's so I don't know what changes have been made since. I do know that Laird electronics lost its EMI testing facility during that flood.

I may be getting out that way for a day or two hike during the next couple of months. I'll report back about what's what in town.

Arden

Default Voted Lamest Town on the AT!

Quote Originally Posted by chaco taco View Post
    well, the prices are higher than any other town. Yes i do know its ct. Also, we had a run in with the guy that owned the laundromat. He was very rude to us for absolutely no reason. The "outfitter" was kinda lame. Just not really a trail kinda town. Its a beautiful little town, just kinda looked at hikers as outcast
    ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++