WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Just in case this bit of cyber literature is your only contact with folks of this age that "are products of our sick society", let me offer up that my experience with young men and woman in the Army from this same age group leads me to believe our society has produced some first class people.
    Every generation in my experience has a mixture of the wise and unwise. The informed and uninformed. The knowledgeable and the ignorant. All young people over the generations need to mellow and learn a bit. That was even true for Henry Thoreau, who in Walden proclaimed he had never met an elder able to teach him anything -- well words to that effect.

The young people we seem so eager to criticize strike me as first class people, who are still learning about this strange entity known as the trail -- and life for that matter. That's not surprising, nor new. The vast majority of hikers I meant in the early weeks of my 1993 walk were equally lost, as the enormity of what they had begun began to sink in.

I observed, a number of men in 1993 seeking to share a tent with someone of the opposite sex. A few even succeeeded. Now in 2010 White Blaze seems to be shocked that the opposite could occur.

I am not shocked. Just rather pleased at the evidence of change.

The young people I most worry about are not those exploring new relationships, but those who proudly proclaim their ignorance. The saddest are those who boast that they "don't read newspapers, or watch television," apparently in fear that to do so would disrupt their "beliefs."

I'm increasingly convinced that nothing is more dangerous in this world than unsupported beliefs, even those professed by white blazers.

These kids will do alright, I suspect. They may not make Katahdin. But I'm quite sure they will learn a great deal in the attempt.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

I merely stated that people will say things on an Internet forum that they would never dare come out with if they had to say these things to an actual person's face.

But distance and anonymity miraculously provides instant fortitude to some folks.

Pretty pathetic.
    emily is doing the same thing on her blog. pretty pathetic.

The blog seems, well, like a blog. Chatty, but not all that much so far about actually hiking (like some trail journals). Maybe I missed something.

I'm not sure where the documentary is headed, which brings up a question. Jack, do you know if the crew tells hikers they talk with that they're being "interviewed?"

Cooker:

I met these folks briefly when they passed thru Neel Gap.

Nice folks and obviously having a good time.

If I'd have known about their not having a tent I'd have certainly said something about it.

Thing to remember is that these folks are brand new to the Trail, and new folks make mistakes. Everyone does. Some of the folks ripping on these guys might want to remember this.

Funny thing......the meanest comments here are almost always made by folks sitting at home in their pajamas. Most of these folks have never thru-hiked and never will. Say what you will about these kids......at least they're out here hiking guys and not just cyber strolling.

I wish them well.
    I resent that Jack!

I wasn't wearing anything.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Berkshire:

Can't answer your question as the subject of their film never came up. We discussed gear, weather, trail conditions, campsite possibilities, etc.

They were friendly, polite, outgoing, and all in all, very pleasant people who absolutely don't deserve the anonymous bitchery they've been getting here.

Some folks really need to get out more and get a life.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    I'd love to read the TJs of some of these "frat boys", especially the polite young young man who got bullied into letting this spoilt woman into his tent.

Love how they make fun of Ron Haven's employee's "southern accent" () too. Making comments like "Through the thick accent (imagine King of the Hill's Boomhauer)...

I was in the shelter that night. If I do remember, I and another pushed the lame @@@@ section hikers over. So your friend could get a spot in the shelter. I am sure if the shelter were full of thru hikers. We would have had room for you too. But due to the floor hoggers we could not.

Have fun, see you in Franklin. Times are good, alot of cool people out here. Just no room for fools
    I don't know

That might be the case. But their "in your facebook" introduction here didn't go over well. Maybe we could give them the benefit of the doubt and see how the documentary turns out.

They were friendly, polite, outgoing, and all in all, very pleasant people who absolutely don't deserve the anonymous bitchery they've been getting here
    Perhaps you'd feel differently if you were one of the men who were lumped into the "sexist frat boy" category, simply for being a male hiker who had, y'know, like tents and stuff.

Or were you firmly "put in your place" by Emily as well they day you met her?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    TThe saddest are those who boast that they "don't read newspapers, or watch television,"
    Umm, I applaud any person, young or old, who refuses to be a slave to the boob tube. Agreed that people should be informed about what is going in, but to imply that newspapers (biased) and TV (manipulative garbage) are the only source of news is a bit narrowminded, IMHO.

And to return to the topic, these 20-somethings seem like they've watched waaaaaay too much television. One is a "Survivor" fanatic and the other one is a complete fashion sheeple, buying and dressing in whatever the TV celebrities are wearing. Read the lawyer girl's first blog post, where she walks into the outfitter in some fashion jeans, pauses to make sure everyone sees her huge earrings, then whines when the saleman is skeptical that she is serious about being a thru-hiker.

Glad they're out there, instead of sitting in front of the tube. But unless they do some serious growing up and getting over it, I predict they'll bail before the Smokies. One has already quit, as I've been told, now it's just the 2 girls and the cameraman.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    Ya reap what ya sow.

Truer words have never been spoken.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Wow just finished the rest of the thread. You guys really took this to heart!

LOL
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Somebody even whined about them being "OVER EDUCATED". Interesting concept. Made me wonder how are you supposed to know when to stop educating yerself so you don get overeducated?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Somebody even whined about them being "OVER EDUCATED". Interesting concept. Made me wonder how are you supposed to know when to stop educating yerself so you don get overeducated?
    When you are amused by the irony of those who make condescending remarks about this woman, because she (they allege) made condescending remarks, you've probably gone too far.
    Roland

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As Ender said, keep the personal remarks to PMs.

I went backcountry skiing today with the girlfriend.

If I'm nice, she lets me share a tent with her....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    As Ender said, keep the personal remarks to PMs.

I went backcountry skiing today with the girlfriend.

If I'm nice, she lets me share a tent with her....
    And if not?

-Bob Dylan

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    And if not?

I'm in the mud apparently....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

in this day in age if its rainy cold wet or snow if I have room I going to share it no matter what
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well despite what this gal said (and did) on the blog, which I disagree with (that is my opinion as she has said it on an open blog for all to see) I do believe, barring injury, etc she has the determination to make it all the way. Simply b/c she is so competitive, and you need that kind of edge out there. And I'm certain she will learn a lot about herself and people and hopefully come away with a much better perspective about mankind than the shallow analysis that are being made on a blog for everyone to see and take note.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Whatever happened or didn't happen, or will happen or won't happen....

The cyber world has something to examine the **** out of and talk about for weeks afterward.

Thread ought to be closed with a reminder for everyone to go hiking.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

As much as I want to chip in and make a few snide remarks about these people, I'm also fully aware that many, myself included, went out on that first trip with a huge chip on the old shoulder. I wasn't going to take no advice from nobody. I really thought I had it all figured out. I also went out there to prove something, not to myself, as I should have, but to others. I'm sure many here have been in the same boat but probably won't admit it.

These people are apparently pretty successful academically, and I'm sure most of their peers wouldn't even consider a weekend hike. I admire that at least. They're stepping outside of their comfort zone, into a "sub-culture" they have had no interaction with. I distinctly remember going out on my first hike with an idea of, "I'm not here to make friends." I was basically a dick to the people around me.

Oh, how I have changed.....one day, hopefully, they will say the same. I wish them the best of luck; nobody's perfect.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++