WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default USFS 42 Conditions

Hey folks. I am looking for any updates on the road conditions for USFS 42. Which direction would be easiest to travel from the east or the west? We will be heading up to Springer on Friday (3/26).

What type of vehicle should we take to make it up there? Do you need a 4x4?

Thanks much!

I'm heading up on the 29th. I have heard that it will be difficult to get there without a 4x4 but I think we are going to give it a go!

wont need a 4x4. The roads up to Springer are in pretty decent shape, unless you try to come in all the way from Suches. They are calling for severe thunderstorms in the area Thur night and Fri, but I dont think there will be any snow with this storm. If there is snow, the gravel road might be a little treacherous, but not bad for someone who is used to driving on snowy roads.

Easiest will depend on whether you are coming in via Chattanooga TN (I-81 to I-75 to US76), Ashville NC (I-85 to I-40 to US64/74), or the Greenville SC (I-85). Generally I tell folks that it is easiest (least number of turns) if you come in from the Elijay Ga side. However, getting to Elijay from the Northeast isnt always the easiest venture.

So you will need to identify whether you want easiest way to get to the general region and then slightly more difficult to get to summit or slightly more difficult to general region and then easier to get to summit.

Also note that at this time I-40 is closed at the NC/TN state line and US64 is closed W of Blue Ridge GA due to rock slides. Neither should impact your travel coming in from DC, but you could see signs about these as you are traveling into the region.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

I was up there yesterday. Traction is not the issue, it's ground clearence. The ruts are still deep from 77 58 to the parking lot. I don't know what it's like comming up from Doublehead gap Road.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Registered User Mountain Shuttler's Avatar

Exclamation

Actually,traction is an issue especially with rain headed to that area today.I have been on FS 42 probably as much as anyone in the last few years and right now it is in really bad condition.It is an extremely rough ride now and just recently there was a guy in a car stuck just past the intersection with 77 and 58 who had to call a wrecker.The best way to the parking area right now is up 42 from the Ellijay end off of Doublehead Gap Rd.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

How often do they regrade 42? Back in 08, it seemed that 42 from Doublehead Gap to the parking area was well graded. But going toward Rock Creek and Suches, the road got more weathered. And Three Forks was just deep ruts.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    How often do they regrade 42? Back in 08, it seemed that 42 from Doublehead Gap to the parking area was well graded. But going toward Rock Creek and Suches, the road got more weathered. And Three Forks was just deep ruts.
    Three Forks looked pretty muddy do me when I hiked through there Last week.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

I made it from Suches to Hightower Gap in my Windstar... and it doesn't have very high clearance. Josh from the Hiker Hostel makes it to Springer daily on his big old van with White clearance and no 4 wheel drive.

We didn't try the road up to Three Forks.

Whent up last night. I would say 4X4 for the next day or two from 77, 58 to Springer. Josh has experience and his buddy Moe to help him. He has also broke his Suburban up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Whent up last night. I would say 4X4 for the next day or two from 77, 58 to Springer. Josh has experience and his buddy Moe to help him. He has also broke his Suburban up there.
    Yeah... I should have mentioned that it had rained some since I had my experience on FS 42.

You have much more knowledge of the road than I... if anyone needs current conditions go to Cool Breeze or Josh for it.

They are there daily. (I am sure thee are other shuttlers, I just am not familiar with them)

Images

I drove both directions on Saturday and I would definitely recommend coming in from the ellijay side. No 4x4 necessary for either direction but ellijay side is in a lot better condition.

If you don't have 4X4 come in from Doublehead Gap.

Default Drove up Forest Rd 42 in my 350Z

Mountain Squid saw me there! It took me over an hour to get back down it after my drop off! My car has about a 2 inch clearance and it was a little stressful at times, but as long as it hasn't rained between April 3rd and now the conditions should be fine for most vehicles.

You just need to drive so that the car does not bottom out, and very very slowly! I'll catch that rabbit!

We are headed in tomorrow from Cleveland GA in a Ford Escape 4x4 with worn tires. Any suggestions on FS 42? East, West? Thanks
    -PDT

You wont have any issues from either direction right now. Lots of rain expected Saturday though, may get a liitle slick then.

Detour

Images

I'm doing a thru in a couple of weeks and wondering about the condition of the road. I've driven it in all types of vehicles and never had any concerns but someone is taking me up there in their new sedan and I dont want them to damage their car. Is the rutts still deep or has it been graded yet this year?
    Thanks for the info.

We are headed up USFS 42 on 10/20/2012 to start a section hike to NC. Can anyone tell me the conditions of USFS 42? We should be coming down from Blue Ridge GA.

Thanks

PM Fat Man for the condition of this road or any questions about the trail through this area. He has all the poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotel View Post
    We are headed up USFS 42 on 10/20/2012 to start a section hike to NC. Can anyone tell me the conditions of USFS 42? We should be coming down from Blue Ridge GA.

Thanks
    Hotel,

USFS 42 is in excellent condition from Suches to Springer. I was down there just the other day and I could have made it in my wife's crossfire which has only a few inches of clearance. Just take it slow heading into curves as you never know who is coming the other direction using the middle of the road. There will be lots of hunters out on the road. The big season begins next weekend.

++ New Posts ++