WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default one year from today

I woke up this morning laughing. I realized that 1 year from today I will wake up in a tent (or shelter) somewhere in north Ga, living the dream I've been thinking about and planning for since high school. I'll be 52 and finally hiking the AT. I'll be hiking alone, but I'm sure there are lots of friends out there I haven't met yet. And some I'll say "Have a nice day" to and move on.
    I want all my moms to go ahead and have their babies so I can get out in the woods. I have one mom who is desparately trying to get pregnant before June so that I can attend her birth.
    I'm more focused on what will be happening a year from today than I am on what needs to be done today.
    I have 2 blackboards painted on the wall in our home. I use the smaller one for lessons for my children and the larger for my packing and 'need to get done' lists.
    Can you tell I'm beside myself with excitement?
    BTW, when does class of 2011 get our own subforum in Thru hiker classes? There have been several threads started by us already.
    Dee
    healthymom

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    BTW, when does class of 2011 get our own subforum in Thru hiker classes? There have been several threads started by us already.
    Dee
    healthymom
    All set on the subforum, we'll move previous threads in as we see them.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I woke up this morning laughing. I realized that 1 year from today I will wake up in a tent (or shelter) somewhere in north Ga, living the dream I've been thinking about and planning for since high school.
    I'm happy for you! Lots of do between now and then if you're a planner.

Do you have any shakedown hikes planned between now and then? Highly recommended to get familiar with your gear and try different things.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

In many ways, the anticipation and planning can be quite enjoyable. Just don't overdo it, as your itinerary will shift from any detailed plan almost immediately after you start north. Focus more on gear, fitness, shakedown hikes, and resupply approach(es).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

We have some similarities...I too will be beginning my Thru attempt this time next year....I too will be 52...I also have dreamed of this for years... I now live in Arizona, However I lived for years outside of Tampa in the towns of Plant City and Brandon...Oh yes...My wife is a neonatal nurse.
    Absinthe.......It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Images

Anticipation is exciting, huh!! Happy for you!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

I'm more focused on what will be happening a year from today than I am on what needs to be done today.
    I've found myself to be the exact same way the past couple of weeks.

A little less than a year for me HealthyMom, 357 days actually. Not that I'm counting.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Default no itinerary

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    In many ways, the anticipation and planning can be quite enjoyable. Just don't overdo it, as your itinerary will shift from any detailed plan almost immediately after you start north. Focus more on gear, fitness, shakedown hikes, and resupply approach(es).
    My only itinerary is that I will be leaving when the weather seems right. You can bet I will be checking the 10 day forecast for Amacalola (sp?) every day as soon as my last Feb baby is born.
    I plan to finish before Oct 15. I want to take my time, enjoy the journey, not be stressed by pressure to finish or get back.
    Every time I am off call (pretty rare), I head for the trails around here. I take the longest hikes I can steal from my schedule.
    I'm planning on only doing maybe 2-3 mail drops. I will buy my guidebook next winter when the new ones come out.
    I have been doing as many gear shakedown hikes as I can fit in. Definitely need different shoes, ones that don't hold water.
    I go to the gym in the evenings after appts w/ clients and do the stair stepper or elliptical w/ weight in my back pack.
    What, me excited whatever made you think that?
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

I am also so excited for my thru-hike next year. I have been thinking about it non-stop.
    I will be hiking with some friends on the AT this May -- right after Trail Days and I can't wait
    I look forward to meeting all of you 2011ers!!!
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Congrats healthymom. I know exactly how excited you are. I waited twenty years before I got to start my first thru-hike. My journey was everything that I had hoped for and then some. I think the long wait just made it better. To stand on Springer and think, "here I am, I'M REALLY DOING IT! What a feeling.

Journal Entries

I am so excited! I'm telling a lot of friends what I'm planning, and thinking in my head 'and this time next year...!'
    He who forms the mountains,
    creates the wind,
    and reveals his thoughts to man,
    he who turns dawn to darkness,
    and treads the high places of the earth—
    the LORD God Almighty is his name.
    -Amos 4:13

I am gettting obsessed with planning, shake down hikes on weekends. i know my co-workers, friends and wife are tired of me talking thru-hike all of the time. Will start 1 April 2011.

The only apprehension is my fear of heights and the last climb to Baxter. At 58 I'll tackle that fear or die trying.

Can't wait to meet y'all next year.

Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    ~
    The only apprehension is my fear of heights and the last climb to Baxter. At 58 I'll tackle that fear or die trying.

Can't wait to meet y'all next year.

Tumbleweed
    Your feet will always be planted on Terra Firma; no heights to worry about.
    Roland

Thanks, Roland.

HealthyMom.....I know from lots of backpacking and years in the Infantry that " keep your feet dry " is a fantasy...I like the way you said...find boots that dont hold water....I have about 150 training miles on a pair of Garmont T8's..Ive been in snow, mud, rocks, cactus and water up to my knees....I know 150 miles is to early to call it love....But right now Im very happy with these boots. Garmont has been a maker of quaility boots for years...The T8's are a modern day version of the old Viet Nam Jungle boot...WAY updated....Used a lot now by our Special Forces and SEAL type guys..Not heavy at all...I wore the " old" Jungle boots back in the day.......These are a far better boot....Worth a look...Dont know about ladies sizes.

Default dry feet

Quote Originally Posted by LockJaww View Post
    HealthyMom.....I know from lots of backpacking and years in the Infantry that " keep your feet dry " is a fantasy...I like the way you said...find boots that dont hold water....I have about 150 training miles on a pair of Garmont T8's..Ive been in snow, mud, rocks, cactus and water up to my knees....I know 150 miles is to early to call it love....But right now Im very happy with these boots. Garmont has been a maker of quaility boots for years...The T8's are a modern day version of the old Viet Nam Jungle boot...WAY updated....Used a lot now by our Special Forces and SEAL type guys..Not heavy at all...I wore the " old" Jungle boots back in the day.......These are a far better boot....Worth a look...Dont know about ladies sizes.
    Thanks for the tip, Lockjaww. I can't wear really women's shoes. My current boots are a men's 12. (maybe I should be healthyfeet instead of healthymom)
    If I want to wear heels, I have to shop at the drag store. Even Payless doesn't usually have feminine shoes for me. Four inch heels make me about 6'4", so I rarely wear them in public, unless there's a reason to draw attention to myself.
    Tell me, how are the T8's for ankle support? I have weakish ankles, so I like to have good support.
    Thanks again,
    Dee
    healthymom

I think they give all the ankle support needed. Do a google search and you'll find some good reviews written by Ranger and NAVY SEAL types who talk about the T8's ankle support. In some cases, these guys are humping rucks double the weight of what I will be.

hey there healthymom-i definitly understand your excitment.I'm on the list of 2011 NOBO hikers.
    my gf thinks it is silly that i am preparing NOW for what is to come in a year.haha.i find myself as well,planning,preparing and daydreaming about a year from now,i will be in GA sleeping in a crowded shelter or in my cozy tent.
    Looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Perhaps I will see you on the trail.
    I turned in my retirement notice this last week so I will be among the ranks of the retired in June.
    I expect to be on the trail around the middle to end of March. I have the freedom to watch the weather and start at a good time.
    I am a little more preoccupied with this Summer, I plan seven week car camping trip with day hikes. A JMT hike startng August 16th, A Grand Canyon cross canyon hike when the weather cools, a few weeks catching up on deferred maintenance on the house then 4 months of skiing leading up to the AT.
    My sister might hike the AT with me, she is undecided at this time. My wife will likely make two or three trips out to spend about a week each with me at various points along the trail, this in addition to driving out to Georgia in March and to Maine in September or October.
    Exciting times!

RichardD,

I hope to see you next year. I will start on April 1st. I just made reservations for my wife and I at the Lodge in Amaciola Falls. She will drive me down and then return home to visit me from time to time.

Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++