WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default The Place, Car Camping Rule

Car camping, RV camping, Motorcycle camping, or any type of motorized camping will not be allowed at The Place in Damascus any longer.

One exception is in place as far as I know though. During the Trail Day's Celebration these rules do not apply.

$5.00 is now the whopping cost for staying the night for those of you who actually pay.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would like to re-emphasize that there is not any type of motorized camping allowed at The Place any more!

The reason I am bringing this up again is due to the fact that on more than one occasion I have had to ask people to move on that tell me that they are members here at WB.

The only time that this rule will not apply is the week preceding Trail Days and the weekend thereof. The week following Trail Days we will reinforce this rule.

The Place is reserved for hikers on foot and cross country bicyclists only.

And as usual we have already had thru hikers breaking the rules at The Place with drinking and other infractions. The way that you present yourself is the way that you present the whole hiking community and undoubtedly some of you here have already reaped the repercussions of some unruly thru hiker in some community.

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Car camping, RV camping, Motorcycle camping, or any type of motorized camping will not be allowed at The Place in Damascus any longer.

One exception is in place as far as I know though. During the Trail Day's Celebration these rules do not apply.

$5.00 is now the whopping cost for staying the night for those of you who actually pay.
    rules don't matter. somebody drove in tonite and was setting up a tent while a dog was walking around loose. i asked whose dog was it and he said it was his and that it was a "service dog". The Place is not open to the public so whatever "service dog" crap rules don't apply. i'm sick of people taking advantage of the church. i hope they close it

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    rules don't matter. somebody drove in tonite and was setting up a tent while a dog was walking around loose. i asked whose dog was it and he said it was his and that it was a "service dog". The Place is not open to the public so whatever "service dog" crap rules don't apply. i'm sick of people taking advantage of the church. i hope they close it
    I hope they close it as well, it is nothing but a headache to have to keep telling people to pack it up and leave because they want to follow their own rules.....

parking at "The Place" is no longer allowed. the lot is for church goers only.

El Sordo
    Images

so is there a good place to leave your car if you plan on hiking into Damascus?
    Dyslexics Untie!

When I was there, I rented a spot across the street from Mt. Rogers Outfitters.

Journal Entries
    Images

you guys can come see me and if I have room in my driveway I will let you park there....

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    so is there a good place to leave your car if you plan on hiking into Damascus?
    there's a public parking lot near the PO next to The Old Mill

there's a public parking lot near the PO next to The Old Mill
    That is where I parked on a section hike into Damascus.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post

parking at "The Place" is no longer allowed. the lot is for church goers only.
    and NO service/therapy dogs allowed. no exceptions

Images

ok guys, then if I come out there for trail days, can I park my vintage travel trailer at your place??? I'll pay for electric......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Can they do that? I mean restaurants have to let service dogs in. I hope they aren't opening themselves up.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Can they do that? I mean restaurants have to let service dogs in. I hope they aren't opening themselves up.
    "The Place" is not open to the public. it's not a business. it's private property

Probably are opening themselves up to problems.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...idedoglaws.htm

It's a shame that a church would openly discriminate against the handicapped.

Images

"The Place" is not open to the public. it's not a business. it's private property
    It may be private property but its open to the public. Denying a service dog could be problematic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    It may be private property but its open to the public. Denying a service dog could be problematic.
    Then close the place down. Problem solved.

The church could sell the house come out much better. The place was well-used but clean a decade ago when I thru-hiked. The last couple of times I've visited while in Damascus, it looked more like a flophouse.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

the caretaker spoke to a lawyer about this issue. they DO NOT have to accept service dogs. it's not a business, it's donation only, it's private property and not open to the general public. a couple and a service dog got asked to leave today. WAY too many problems with dogs in past at "The Place"

With the training and expense real service dogs require I can't imagine anyone staying at "The Place" with their animal. Most owners I have met don't want people touching and distracting their service dog.
    The sad thing is that so many "hikers" would be dishonest enough to claim a dog is a service animal just to get around normal rules.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

the caretaker spoke to a lawyer about this issue. they DO NOT have to accept service dogs. it's not a business, it's donation only, it's private property and not open to the general public. a couple and a service dog got asked to leave today. WAY too many problems with dogs in past at "The Place"
    now that i've stewed this over i'm really pissed at these hikers with their "service dogs". every one of these owners of these dogs that come to the hostel have an extreme chip on their shoulder and are ready to fight for their rights. it's always about them not about where they're stayin' and the rules. it's one-sided. they feel they have a right to stay anywhere they want. if they really knew the laws they wouldn't pull the attitude crap at a church run hostel. it's very tiring dealing with hikers.. worse than any torist on the planet.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++