WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I don't know why a 15 yo would want to hike solo.

I would be more fun to hike with a group.

Panzer
    That depends on the group.

I would've much preferred to hike the LT alone at 15. Did much stupider stuff at that age and still alive to talk about it.

Default Go kid go!!!

I was 14 when I started solo riding a bicycle across the state of Florida. In fact crossed the state more than 10 times within the next 4 years before deciding to ride to New York from Key West on my 18th birthday.

I see no problem or reason for any concern about a teenager doing something extraordinary. Why are we trying to limit the potential for greatness? Are we trying to create a counrty full of wimps who are scared to learn the survival skills we might need here in the near future? Just because they are young in your eyes doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing what we can do, maybe better. Quit looking at chronical age and start look at maturity. Yes, older people are usually more experienced but where did they start.

I say go kid go!!! Tell us a good story along the way.

Taba

Images

Go for it. One thing for both you and your folks to consider is how you will handle a non-emergency medical problem.

Most Doctors/hospitals/clinics will not treat a non-life-threatening illness or injury of a minor without parental permission. May only require a phone call, may require faxing permission, may require physical presence, depending on circumstances and a facility policy.

Not an insurmountable problem, and not a reason to avoid the hike, but good to have a plan for the possibility.

Perhaps a letter from the parents, and carried by the hiker, authorizing the teen to make simple treatment decisions will suffice for some facilities. No guarantees though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++