WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiawassee Inn

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave
    not sure the holiday inn express can be beat. last year we stayed there, 5 in a huge room with 2 queen beds and a huge pull out couch. all you can eat breakfast,pool hot tub, a.c. nice view of brasstown bald, right next to everything. 2 nights. when the bill came we paid 20 dollars a piece
    and they suttled us back to the trail!!

Slowest Hiker On Earth

On this past Monoday, several of us hikers tried to call the Inn for a shuttle. All we got was their answering machine I have jeard they are great people but we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express which are great people also. Just a bit more money.

I stayed at the Inn about 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. First night, I got some unexpected roommates, 2 thruhikers that came in while we were at dinner, but that was ok, since the price went down from $45 to $17.50. Second night another hiker came through with a dog, and I split the room with her. Ron's very accomidating, if a bit high strung. He gave us the Inn's van to go to dinner at a AYCE the first night, and since no one wanted to go the 2nd night, he let me take it alone to McD's.
    Even though I hitched in from Unicoy, he shuttled me and another hiker to Dick's Creek in the morning. I would recommend it if you have someone to split the room cost with, or if you don't mind paying the $45. Its just a small motel, so don't expect to be impressed in terms of accomidations, but the service is very good.

I actually registered here on White Blaze solely to report on the Hiawassee Inn. I would not recommend them. My brother and I stayed there a few weeks ago for a night.

The stay began with the owners being very nice, generous and friendly. But it ended with them telling us that there was an extra (heretofore unmentioned) 10% fee for using a credit card (he said it was "tax," which I know is not true).....and a very unreasonable checkout time.

We were told that we had to be up and ready to go back to the trail at 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. I still had several errands to run in town and was looking forward to making my $30 ($60 total cost) last until at least 11 a.m. (any hotel's normal checkout time) so that I could rest and sort my food and gear out before leaving.

I asked if I could extend checkout until 10 a.m. (being sure to tell them that I didn't need a shuttle) and was told in a loud condescending voice, "I'm tired of hiker's pulling this on me!"

They said that they needed us out of there ASAP so that they could put more hikers in our room. Funny, it was late May and odds were low that a barrage of hikers was coming in that day.

Both my brother and I left with a really sour taste in our mouth.

I would recommend the new hostel called Cloud 9 that is 1.5 miles towards Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap, esp. for those that miss Blueberry Patch's hiker season and for those who have dogs with them.

Images

Default Clarification?

Quote Originally Posted by Nocona
    I actually registered here on White Blaze solely to report on the Hiawassee Inn. I would not recommend them. My brother and I stayed there a few weeks ago for a night.
    I've heard some of the same things about the Hiawassee Inn.

Not that it matters but the bio at the top of your post says you registered 2-1-2005. Did you mean 'logged on ' instead of 'registered'?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

The stay began with the owners being very nice, generous and friendly. But it ended with them telling us that there was an extra (heretofore unmentioned) 10% fee for using a credit card (he said it was "tax," which I know is not true).....and a very unreasonable checkout time.

We were told that we had to be up and ready to go back to the trail at 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. I still had several errands to run in town and was looking forward to making my $30 ($60 total cost) last until at least 11 a.m. (any hotel's normal checkout time) so that I could rest and sort my food and gear out before leaving.

I asked if I could extend checkout until 10 a.m. (being sure to tell them that I didn't need a shuttle) and was told in a loud condescending voice, "I'm tired of hiker's pulling this on me!"

They said that they needed us out of there ASAP so that they could put more hikers in our room. Funny, it was late May and odds were low that a barrage of hikers was coming in that day.

Both my brother and I left with a really sour taste in our mouth.

I would recommend the new hostel called Cloud 9 that is 1.5 miles towards Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap, esp. for those that miss Blueberry Patch's hiker season and for those who have dogs with them.
    Same s**t with me. 999 out 1000 motel/hotels have a 11:00 AM checkout time. Plus most have phones. No phone and they wanted us out at 8:00. I was ready to go by 9:00 but stayed till 11:00 anyway. Checkout times weren't posted anywhere. Cash only was taken and no receipt was given. Buncho BS. I'm now hating hostels, shelters, AND motels near or on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Same s**t with me. 999 out 1000 motel/hotels have a 11:00 AM checkout time.
    And the one out of a thousand that doesn't has a check-out time of 12:00 PM.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Yeah, if only they had simply told us UP FRONT that part of the deal there was that hikers are treated differently, that the checkout is early....then I wouldn't have been so upset.

Also, they could have told me UP FRONT that there was an extra fee for credit. BTW, the back of the door had a posted checkout of 11:00.

I thru-hiked in '98 and am sadly noticing that the Georgia accomodations have really declined. Much more expensive and aimed at taking advantage of hikers, in my opinion. Maybe some hikers have brought it on us all.

(No, I did register with White Blaze just to report this.) (But I'm enjoying the forums -- great site!)

OK, I see what you see now....I did register in '05, but I never activated my account.

Images

OK, I see what you see now....I did register in '05, but I never activated my account.
    Ah. Mystery solved.
    Skids

Images

I thru-hiked in '98 and am sadly noticing that the Georgia accomodations have really declined. Much more expensive and aimed at taking advantage of hikers, in my opinion. Maybe some hikers have brought it on us all.
    Check out Cloud 9 cabins in Hiawassee on your next trip to GA.

http://appalachiantrailservices.com/...1-s&linkid=537

Many good reports and the owners seem straight up.
    Skids

oooh that smell...can't you smell that smell? MONKEYBUTT's Avatar

Just want to put a VERY POSITIVE note to Sam And Ron. Ron went above and beyond for myself and my buddy BIG DIPPER. My knee screwed up and he picked us up no questions asked and was at Dicks Creek Gap in about 15 mins. We got to his Inn and was greeted with a hot shower, a free cold beer, and one heck of a grill out of chicken, sausage, home made bread, and a whole lot of other fixens. Stayed the night and then shuttled us to Standing Indian to our truck. Total per person $36. Can't beat that at all. Truley impressed by the kindness of everyone there. Thanks Ron!

Images

I stayed there in March of '06 and got the hiker loving attitude upon arrival and slowly it turned into a very unpleasant stay. My hiking partner was leaving so her uncle drove 4 hours to get her in the middle of the night. He slept for an hour 2 tops and they wanted him to PAY for staying in the room. Then he smoked at the door and they flipped out. I won't be staying there again. Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Images

Those two sweet guys at the Hiawassee Inn are real hiker's friends. Every time I go through town, I stop to say hello. They've invited me for supper before, even when I wasn't staying there. The service is great, and they loan you a sweatsuit or similiar to wear while your laundry is going through.

I'd recommend the place to anyone, and they treat tenters just as nice as room guests. They also allow dogs.

A+

Images

I had a great experience there this January. They held a room for me without cc information (the motel was otherwise full of construction workers), picked me up after dark at the gap, offered a car if I wanted to drive around town, offered laundry, fed me breakfast, drove me back to the gap. Very, very nice guys. Yeah, so they're human and sometimes they're busy. I'll chance it next time I pass through there because they're really kind and generous people.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I agree with the last few post. The Hiawassee Inn is a great place to stay. I recommend staying there to everyone who gets off in Hiawassee.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    he smoked at the door and they flipped out. I won't be staying there again. Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.
    As I recall smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Blueberry Patch property.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.

I haven't stayed at the Blueberry Patch but have heard great things about it. I have stayed at Cloud 9 though and I would choose the Hiawassee Inn over Cloud 9.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    As I recall smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Blueberry Patch property.
    If you will also recall I said her uncle was smoking at the door of The Hiawassee Inn. I stayed at the Blueberry Patch Alone and don't smoke period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I haven't stayed at the Blueberry Patch but have heard great things about it. I have stayed at Cloud 9 though and I would choose the Hiawassee Inn over Cloud 9.
    Cloud 9 checked me in asked if I needed any help, checked in periodically to see if we needed anything and left me the hell alone. I like that. My door at the INN wouldn't even lock properly and Creepy Stalker Rick (Should be his trail name) bargged in and kept harassing my roommate and I (another female). He was helping out the Hotel owners. Nice help. Nice and creepy. And when the INN owner was giving ME a hard time instead of the guy he was mad at about the smoking, he went into naming all his health problems and venting all his "hiker frustrations". I didn't go int here and complain and vent about my experiences or pains on him. Why? Because HE had nothing to do with it. And plus I am use to my step father blaming the wrong people for his problems then finding a child to go take it out on. if he has SUCH a problem with hikers then maybe he should stop taking them. I did absolutely NOTHING WRONG and got chewed out when the person he was MAD at was less than 10 feet away from him. A grown man and NOT a hiker. We didnt throw a wild party or ask to stay late. We showered, ate, and slept.

I fogot to add the good things. Upon arrival the OTHER guy offered us some steak sauce for our steak. being an A1 fanatic it was heaven in my mouth. So 2 star for the H. Inn. **
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I stayed there last week. Didn't like it. When checking in I said I wanted a single room and the owner didn't want to give me one. He wanted me and That Guy to double up. I don't share rooms. He finally gave in. The following morning around 8:00 AM he rushed us to check out. I won't go back.
    i musta caught them on a real bad day. still won't go back though. if i get a motel room i expect a phone and an 11am check out time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++